Senior Keidean Coleman (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Coleman: Excited for the Week Ahead

kiddy.png

The irony hasn't been lost on Brisbane defender Keidean Coleman that the team he grew up cheering on to a premiership is the same one he's hoping to stop from lifting the cup on Saturday.

The Lions' silky smooth half-back was a big Collingwood fan as a youngster, donning the black and white jumper in front of the television in 2010 to support them, while younger brother Blake barracked for the opposing Saints.

Now, 13 years on, Coleman looms as an integral part of Brisbane's premiership push against the Magpies following his best-on-ground performance in Saturday night's preliminary final win over Carlton.

"I was a Collingwood supporter and I debuted against Collingwood," Coleman chuckled to a packed media scrum at Brisbane's Springfield training base on Monday.

"I remember my debut game, running out against Scotty Pendlebury was surreal.

"It's pretty ironic and pretty weird to think that I'm playing a granny against Collingwood, the team I grew up supporting."

Coleman's rise has mirrored that of the Lions.

Originally from Katherine in the Northern Territory, he moved to Brisbane as a nine-year-old before being drafted as a Lions Academy graduate in 2019.

Coleman said he was treated like a "megastar" in his hometown, with a lot of family in the surrounding areas.

They had plenty to cheer for against the Blues, with the 23-year-old gathering 21 disposals, a match-high 11 of them intercepts, and being involved in seven scores.

Coleman conceded there was a lot going on beneath his calm exterior.

"It was just one of those nights where the ball fell in my hands and I was able to use it by foot and open the game up," he said.

"I do feel a bit nervous, I do get a bit anxious.

"That's when I play my best footy… when I play on instinct.

"It hasn't hit me yet.

"We're into a Grand Final, which is exciting, and I'm excited for the week ahead."

Coleman reveals his rise in confidence for grand final, his past love of Collingwood and the Territory town that will cheer the laconic Lion on

The Keidean Coleman story has plenty of thrilling chapters still to write until the end of what looks to be a gem of a career that was dug up from dusty obscurity and is polished towards rising superstardom.

The Dalabon and Jawoyn man's tale started on the red dirt surrounding the Katherine Community of Barunga, but strangely looked lost on the road to an AFL dream that he lives with brother Blake in Brisbane after once returning to the Top End to play in the reserves.

The turnaround from finding the ball for Darwin Buffaloes twos to turning up for the 2023 AFL decider inside five years came to a head after arguably the half back's most influential game in the preliminary final win over Carlton from his past 63 appearances for the Lions.

Coleman, as the prime mover has done all season "wanted to play my role within our system", but the architect of turning around an early five-goal deficit into an 11 goal-to-four finish calmly pinpointed all the targets up the field and set up the run out of defence.

It was almost a metaphor of the times that Coleman once doubted his journey to the top.

"I didn't want to do anything overly extravagant, but I said to some of the boys it was just one of those nights when the ball sort of fell into my hands," Coleman explained at a midweek press conference in Brisbane.

"I was able to use it by foot and, yeah, it opened the game up.

"It sort of hasn't hit me yet, going to a grand final now. It is exciting the week ahead."

For the 23-year-old and the once Collingwood tragic, the 2010 AFL grand finals was all but the inspiration for a schoolboy Coleman to relocate to Brisbane in pursuit of more than just a scholarly education.

That reference point hit home again this week, from the time the close brothers were aged 10 and eight, for not just one day in September but the entire week into October.

"I remember that day at my grandmother's house when I had put on my Collingwood guernsey and had a little black and white footy as well," Coleman says.

"My brother, Blake, happened to be a St Kilda supporter.

"The result turned out pretty ridiculous with the draw, but fortunately they came out and won the replay.

"But I am now living in the here and the now, and I'm excited to hopefully contribute to a successful team – just the other team."

But the move away from the outback years later almost ensured that Coleman never could emulate his Magpies hero Leon Davis the moment that the Lions took an interest in a risky but silky-skilled teenager from Morningside.

The earlier introduction of football academies in such development states stopped that.

But the AFL can't always stop where your heart lies.

There was no escaping from the black and white running through Coleman's veins.

Not just the grand final nor the childhood Magpies posters on his bedroom wall, but his introduction to the big time.

"I was still a Collingwood supporter when I debuted against Collingwood," he laughs.

"I still remember my debut game, running out there against Scotty Pendlebury, and it was a bit surreal.

"It's pretty ironic and pretty weird that I'm playing a granny against Collingwood, the only team I grew up supporting."

There's another crew that has his support now.

Thoughts other than at the MCG will be with his loved ones back home and despite his biggest day of his life ahead, there's a kick he enjoys about picturing faces scrambling for a spot around the telly and pointing to the screen whenever he touches the ball.

The streets in the town that has 6500 residents will never be more deserted on a Saturday than when they last gawked over past grand final heroes from Katherine.

Andrew McLeod, who kicked balls around the local primary school yard, grabbed two Norm Smith medals in 1997 and '98 premierships with Adelaide while Brad Ottens, who spent his formative years on a nearby cattle station, was the missing piece from Geelong's trio of flags.

It's Coleman's time in the spotlight but in a different era.

"I know a lot of people will be watching in Katherine now," Coleman says.

"I went back there last year – it was pretty funny because they think I am a megastar, which is kinda embarrassing.

"I have a lot of family there and a lot in Community, yeah, not far from there.

"They're all excited I'm pretty sure and I'm hopeful they're barracking for the Lions."

That allegiance is embedded in Coleman's loyalty after making an indelible mark across just four seasons under coach Chris Fagan.

He got there in his under-18 year when Morningside coach Stephen Wearne, who ran out for three senior games at Melbourne as his brother David appeared in 18 games for the Bears, backed the sublime foot skills and gave him carte blanche to run loose to run amok.

"I've always do try and play composed, and not rush myself," Coleman added.

"It's something I've sort of grown up doing, especially throughout my junior career.

"I don't really think about the games too much; I just back myself because I sort of know what I am capable of."

The Lions' academy came begging, but the club was also reluctant to immediately draft in Coleman following his incomplete first year.

Another 12 months passed and after smoothing out the rough edges that also included elite training with the Lions' senior group, the club was forced to match an Essendon offer.

"That 2018 year, I was fortunate enough to play for the Allies and I went to the (end of the year) national combine.

"Unfortunately, I didn't get drafted that year, but I thought to myself why not give it another real crack because I came this far.

"I was also fortunate to be in that NEAFL premiership team the following year.

"Now I'm thankful to this club that they ended up drafting me, well bidding on me, so I'm happy I'm still here."

That bidding did not come without an element of controversy.

Brisbane did not have the required draft points and quickly on trade day had to make a number of late trades to better the Bombers' point tally.

The AFL even had to break its own rules to give Lions staff more than their allocated time by nearly ten minutes.

That kind of favourable treatment may only irate Collingwood should his easy path to Brisbane prove the difference on Saturday.

But Coleman was adamant the late draft bid would have been inconsequential at one stage this year after a form slip had him on the outer with Fagan.

"I was sort of second guessing myself," Coleman says.

"That Hawthorn game, I was a sub, and after that I said to myself, 'Just back yourself and don't think about the game too much' because that's when I play my best footy."

No real advice from the coach was going to make the difference on his return to the team.

The rebounding defender just had to find his rhythm and play on instinct.

"He always knew my offence was pretty good," Coleman says.

"It was more so my defensive side of my game.

"He just wanted me to watch vision and see where I can get better at that.

"I did and I am glad that I am back in the team now."

The Brisbane Lions quest for further Club success has received a double boost with Keidean Coleman and Ally Anderson both signing a three-year contract extension.

Both arrived at the Club via the AFL Queensland talent pathway or Brisbane Lions Academy, both are proud Indigenous athletes, and both are coming off stellar 2023 seasons...

Brisbane Lions CEO, Greg Swann said securing the pair for another three years each was a significant moment for the Club’s future.

“What better way to kick off a new season then to announce a double contract extension with two of the Club’s most exciting talents in Ally Anderson and Keidean Coleman,” Swann said.

“Both players were instrumental in the Brisbane Lions making both the AFL and AFLW Grand Finals last year and now they will help drive the Club forward for at least another three years.

“We are in an extremely exciting time for the Club across both the AFL and AFLW programs and this announcement should have all Brisbane Lions supporters delighted.”...

Coleman, who produced a brilliant second half of last year, is equally determined to help the Lions taste more success.

The 23-year-old defender delivered some of his best football for the 2023 finals series, including the AFL Grand Final where he finished runner-up in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

With the Brisbane Lions Academy graduate starting to reach his potential, his signature comes at a key time for the Club.

“I am blessed and grateful that I was able to extend my time with the Brisbane Lions and the culture here at the Club is a big reason why I re-committed,” Coleman said.

“I really love that whether it’s the AFL, AFLW or VFL, everyone comes in everyday to work hard individually and as a team and we are all looking at ways to get better and get that ultimate success as a Club.

“It’s an exciting time for the Brisbane Lions and I would like to be a part of this group that can win premierships, that’s an achievement I would love to accomplish.”

Unlikely duo fire up forward in Lions' intraclub

Following his outstanding finals series in 2023, Keidean Coleman got plenty of the ball at half-back, and used it expertly by foot and hand, while Lincoln McCarthy looked sharp when presented with his chances.

Qscan Injury Update: Keidean Coleman Knee Update

The Brisbane Lions confirm defender Keidean Coleman has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) following Friday night’s match against Carlton.

Coleman injured his left knee moments before the end of the second quarter and was then subbed out of the game during the half-time break.The 23-year-old underwent scans on Saturday afternoon which confirmed the initial prognosis.

“It’s really disappointing news for Keidean, especially in the first game after a strong pre-season and an impressive finals campaign last year,” Lions General Manager Football Danny Daly said.

“However, Kiddy is only young and has a very bright future ahead of him with the Brisbane Lions, which we all look forward to.

“Kiddy is an extremely positive and calm person, so I am confident those traits will no doubt help him get through his recovery over the coming months.

“He of course has the full support of everyone at our Club and we will continue to be right with him every step of the way.

“A special mention also to our incredible Brisbane Lions fans, and fans in general, who have shared their well wishes for Kiddy on social media.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back