Kent Kingsley

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Kent Kinglsey

Who remembers Stephen Reynoldson - he was our great white hope at CHF for a few years in the early 80's.

Unfortunately, he never cut the mustard either.

After Doull completely tore him apart, he never seemed the same.

There have been heaps of players that looked like they could be something.

Reynoldson was one. Peter Johnston used to drive me nuts. I was worried Hinkley would do the same for a while there. Paul Brown looked like he could be anything too.

Yeah - he could leap over tall buildings, but his kicking was absolutely shocking - used to make a habit of missing them from the goal square.

Poor Mick Turner - if he only had someone to kick it to.

Worst case of the yips in front of goal I've ever seen. Was held goalless in a final by Sean Dempster. Kicked 2 goals in 8 matches in 2006 and still had people defending him somehow.

Too young to remember Peter Johnston were you?

Multiple threads. I already quizzed Burto on this, thought it must have been a bet/dare, no reply

Haha sorry VD I didn't notice any messages, you must have written in one of the threads I posted the pic in? No dare or bet, I was just fairly sauced at the time, and it must have seemed like a good idea :D

Haha sorry VD I didn't notice any messages, you must have written in one of the threads I posted the pic in? No dare or bet, I was just fairly sauced at the time, and it must have seemed like a good idea :D

Must admit I had a bit of a chuckle when I was looking at one thread on the main board at a conversation between two groups of opposition fans, and in the middle of it was that photo of Kent. :D

No I remember Johnston. As bad as he was he wasn't as bad as Kingsley.

I'd have to agree with The Rabbi. You couldn't look whenever Johnston was lining up for goal. His ability to shank it from any distance was truly mind-boggling for a so-called-professional. Worst memory was a game against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Down all day, we turn it on in the last quarter to be down three points, when Johnston takes a screamer in the goal-square as the siren sounds. Suffice to say, I don't think Johnston ran as hard in any game as he did to the changerooms after shanking it on the full.

I still remember lining up the shot as a 10 year-old with dozens of other kids after the game - none of us missed.

I'd have to agree with The Rabbi. You couldn't look whenever Johnston was lining up for goal. His ability to shank it from any distance was truly mind-boggling for a so-called-professional. Worst memory was a game against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Down all day, we turn it on in the last quarter to be down three points, when Johnston takes a screamer in the goal-square as the siren sounds. Suffice to say, I don't think Johnston ran as hard in any game as he did to the changerooms after shanking it on the full.

I still remember lining up the shot as a 10 year-old with dozens of other kids after the game - none of us missed.

Yep - that was Johnson alright. Worst kick ever. Brilliant high jumper who they stuck a footy jumper on.

Kingsley was all over him for kicking - and all other other things football.

Terry Bright. He was our late 70's/early 80's Kent Kinsley wasn't he? Some days he kicked a bag, but mostly went missing as he was a good medium sized forward asked to do too much.

Yep - that was Johnson alright. Worst kick ever. Brilliant high jumper who they stuck a footy jumper on.

Kingsley was all over him for kicking - and all other other things football.

Terry Bright. He was our late 70's/early 80's Kent Kinsley wasn't he? Some days he kicked a bag, but mostly went missing as he was a good medium sized forward asked to do too much.
We've had some classics. I can recall Bill Ryan who could leap tall buildings but had the worst 2 handed ball drop you have ever seen ( not sure how effective his kicking was but looked awful). Bizzell could have been anything but lacked consistency.............

I never liked bright for some reason.
But he was a bloody good footballer.

Sort of a 70% SJ

I never liked bright for some reason.
But he was a bloody good footballer.

Sort of a 70% SJ

Check it out. Bright was our leading goal kicker in 1983 with...26 goals!

No wonder we recruited Jacko.
And no wonder we were so disappointed with Gary Sidebottom.

yeah but didnt he kick a bunch one year? maybe 70+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was playing in Queensland in 1979 and was invited to train with St Kilda. I was so excited to be given the opportunity to train with professional footballers under Alex Jesaulenko. Sidebottom was I recall Captain of St Kilda at that time.

Couldnt believe what a clown he was on the track and never seemed to get out of second gear. A very poor role model for a young footballer who expected the exact opposite. In fact the whole experience was very underwhelming.

Jezza was pretty average as well btw. Great player but sh!t coach. Ended up in Queensland coaching Sandgate and he was hopeless there too.

There have been heaps of players that looked like they could be something.

Reynoldson was one. Peter Johnston used to drive me nuts. I was worried Hinkley would do the same for a while there. Paul Brown looked like he could be anything too.
Saw Reynoldson come on from the bench in the last/4 of that amazing game against NM, the day Brian Peake came in a chopper, #17 on his back, similar dimensions to Sam Newman, and very impressive that quarter. But never really delivered after that.

Johnston was ridiculously good at marking, one of the best we've seen, but just as ridiculously a shocker in front of goal, the worst I've ever seen in my days following Geelong since '64. Did meet him several times since, really nice bloke.

Does anyone remember Glen Middlemiss, #2, another good mark and poor kick.?

I have just been transported back to the sixties with the mention of that name. I was in the same grade as Paul at Tate Street Primary School in the eastern suburb of Thomson. His parents ran the milk bar opposite the Fenwick Baptist Church in St.Albans road.

He was a very good footballer as a kid but I thought that a kid by the name of Murray McLaren would play league before Paul. Apparently Murray had ankle problems that hindered him. They both played footy for Thompson.

Anyway...back to Kent Kingsley.
Don't worry about KK. Paul Jefferies was an excellent mark and I think a left footer. One of Billy Goggin's favourites. Could be really attacking as CHB/BP type player, didn't see him play forward ever,then he just disappeared. At times we had a hb line of Kevin Higgins-beautifully balanced player, Jumping Jack-legend, and Zane Taylor or Paul Jefferies or Mark Bos. Great memories in some ways, but until Goggin got hold of that team, there were some dark years.

We've had some classics. I can recall Bill Ryan who could leap tall buildings but had the worst 2 handed ball drop you have ever seen ( not sure how effective his kicking was but looked awful). Bizzell could have been anything but lacked consistency.............
Bill Ryan was a brilliant mark, and also became a Stawell sprinter. Some of his marking was indescribable, well back then at my age, nobody had ever seen stuff like that. Again, not a great convertor.
Bizzell was mozzed by Leigh Colbert and Buddha at the end of a game during Essendon's time at the top, last game pre finals, and we were nothing but we beat them. Both our boys said he was the next Gary Ablett.

Saw Reynoldson come on from the bench in the last/4 of that amazing game against NM, the day Brian Peake came in a chopper, #17 on his back, similar dimensions to Sam Newman, and very impressive that quarter. But never really delivered after that.

Johnston was ridiculously good at marking, one of the best we've seen, but just as ridiculously a shocker in front of goal, the worst I've ever seen in my days following Geelong since '64. Did meet him several times since, really nice bloke.

Does anyone remember Glen Middlemiss, #2, another good mark and poor kick.?

Gee now we are travelling down memory lane.
I was there when peake arrived too.
My memory is of sitting in the hickey stand but I'm not even sure it was built then.

I liked glenn middlemiss. He was the mark waugh type of the cats. Classy but always seemed to be in 2nd gear.

What about Kelvin Matthews?

Bill Ryan was a brilliant mark, and also became a Stawell sprinter. Some of his marking was indescribable, well back then at my age, nobody had ever seen stuff like that. Again, not a great convertor.
Bizzell was mozzed by Leigh Colbert and Buddha at the end of a game during Essendon's time at the top, last game pre finals, and we were nothing but we beat them. Both our boys said he was the next Gary Ablett.

I remember that very well.

That's one of the problems of having G Abletts play at Geelong - the moment they leave, everyone's always looking for the next one...

You can tell the "older" posters from the younguns in this thread!!!

I'll add Mario Bortolotto to the "could have been anything" list. Craig Alderdice was another a bit later. Dwayne Russell came over with much fanfare and ended up a dud.

Paul Jeffreys, who has been mentioned, was a gun. Beautiful hands. God we had a nice period of backline players in the late 70's to early 80's. Malcolm Reed, Nankervis brothers, Gary Malarkey, Bos, Hawkins, Bernard Toohey, Ray Card....pity we were bereft of decent forward options as we could have won a flag in 80-81.

Bizzell was a little unlucky I thought. Emerged as a brilliant half back flanker and winger in 1998-99, and because we had no marking targets at all up forward he became a forward. Still played some good footy, and personally I hated it when they traded him. Obviously they needed that pick (which they got Kelly with), but there were others I would have shifted before him.

Amazed that Melbourne never tried him up forward. Seemed to be a back pocket and nothing else, and was never the same player.

Ryan took an absolute screamer against St Kilda - was standing on the shoulders of a player who was , in turn, on another players shoulders..........or so it seemed to me as a kid !! New meaning to the term 3rd man up.
Middlemiss was also a tough nut and probably an inch short of a genuine KPP , agree with the Bizzell curse - even back then it seemed wrong to label the guy with that.
Buddha should have known better.

I always felt sorry for Paul Brown playing in that fowardline with Ablett. He was a half decent footballer.

The problem he faced with Ablett was that Garry Snr simply did not need another pair of hands to handball too, as he rarely got in trouble. He could litterally kick a goal from anywhere in general play and rarely did not mark the ball when it kicked somewhere in his area.

This kind of made Brown's job some what pointless compared to if he played up forward at another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back