Kieran King

Remove this Banner Ad

thedog

Debutant
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The young west australian who got picked up with pick 81 in last years draft has recently been delisted by the brisbane lions after just one season. Word has it that Vossy who coached him in the AIS told King to nominate for the draft a year early because he had an early birthday and the Lions would pick him up late in the draft. The Lions did this and delisted him after one season. King did break his ankle but that was the only injury he has had.

King is the same age as the boys going into this years draft and played stat 16s but didnt play state 18s due to already being picked up by the lions. He was a former Australian 400m record holder and chose football over athletics where he probably could have went close to making the 2012 olympics. The boy has plenty of upside with his quick pace and solid skills.

Just wondering if any clubs would be interested in picking him up and also whether he can nominate for the National draft again this yeasr after already being picked up last year?

Word is on our board that we're going to pick him up again as a rookie, which we couldn't last year because he was too young. Generally other clubs have respected a club doing this and not snaffling the delistee.

Word is on our board that we're going to pick him up again as a rookie, which we couldn't last year because he was too young. Generally other clubs have respected a club doing this and not snaffling the delistee.

alright that sounds good

if brisbane werent to pick him up again i think it would be a very silly decision

Why in a compromised draft should other clubs respect what Brisbane has done? If King hadnt nominated for last years draft and entered this years one after playing 18s, he would have surely gone in the top 40 or 50. So basically Brisbane are going to get a top 40 pick from this years draft on their rookie list because of an unspoken agreement, i hope not

King is the same age as the boys going into this years draft and played stat 16s but didnt play state 18s due to already being picked up by the lions. He was a former Australian 400m record holder and chose football over athletics where he probably could have went close to making the 2012 olympics. The boy has plenty of upside with his quick pace and solid skills.

He actually played u/18's as a bottom ager in a very strong team.

If you were Kieran King you would be pretty dirty about this, especially if they recruit Jesse Smith whose injuries are worse than King's are.

If you were Kieran King you would be pretty dirty about this, especially if they recruit Jesse Smith whose injuries are worse than King's are.

Why? Maybe he agrees that he's not likely to be ready to play seniors next year. Not all draftees are like Rich...

Why? Maybe he agrees that he's not likely to be ready to play seniors next year. Not all draftees are like Rich...

Why? because they asked him to nominate early and then cut him after one year. He could have played u18s this year and then got drafted and had another 2 years to show his wares. Now he has one year on a rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King actually only made the State u/18's provisional squad but was cut(albeit one of the last few) from that squad and didn't play in the carnival.

He was cut and it had nothing to do with his ability, more about his commitment to footy at that stage as he was still doing athletic's.

There where some people from the WA acadamey that where not happy with how his situation was handled.

He should of played under 18's last year.

does any think that he could be snared by maybe the eagles or dockers?

I certainly think he should be given an opportunity to show if he has what it takes make an AFL player, I think he or anyone should rightly feel gutted at being de-listed after 1 year on an AFL list and as an 18 yr old.

He certainly has the pace and stamina required, I'd like Freo to have a good look at him.

Freo would be silly not drafting him, he's practically the same age as many of the Victorian youngsters who have been highlighted to go to Freo in the latter part of the draft......no go home factor involved and already a preseason in his body already. I think Freo should get him in the draft before Brisbane have a chance to get him in the rookie draft.....stuff ethics!

Sounds like that could be the Plan;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back