Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed for 7 more years]

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With it looking likely that Coniglio will re-sign with GWS, attention will turn to Whitfield who will be a free agent next year. Will definitely receive more money from other clubs with GWS having to pay the likes of Kelly, Cameron and Coniglio big money. Whitfield is arguably GWS best player and would be a huge priority, however, I wonder if money can tempt him? And if GWS get whiff that he is likely to leave they may prefer to trade him out this year for a kings ransom as opposed to the FA compo they'd receive next year. FWIW I think he'll also stay at GWS. Cameron, Kelly, Coniglio and Whitfield would be the core 4 at GWS that they'd want to keep as with those four players on the list they should be able to compete for the top 4 for the next 5 years.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Wonder what the impact of lots of Vic clubs being in the bottom 10 has on players looking to join.

No GWS stars are going to join a lowly club, even if they do get a 100-200k increase.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We got our elite inside man last year in Lachie Neale, time to get an elite outside style player, would look fantastic in Lions colors.

So we have given up on players out of contract this year and just moving onto next? Without any supposed inside media reports saying he is looking at getting out?

Ok...

I think you have it the wrong way round.

This thread has been started to CREATE those media reports.

So we have given up on players out of contract this year and just moving onto next? Without any supposed inside media reports saying he is looking at getting out?

Ok...
Why stop there? Who is out of contract in 2021? We'll take good players.
Witherden is out of contract in 2022, might be time to start a thread
I think you have it the wrong way round.

This thread has been started to CREATE those media reports.
Given that players have started to move with their club’s blessing the year before they become a free agent, we’ve been allowing contracted player threads for the year before they are a free agent. In Whitfield’s case he’ll be an RFA in 2020.

Threads about contracted players beyond that (unless media reports suggest there is reason to think they’re going to be traded imminently) is just trolling and will be locked or deleted.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Given that players have started to move with their club’s blessing the year before they become a free agent, we’ve been allowing contracted player threads for the year before they are a free agent. In Whitfield’s case he’ll be an RFA in 2020.

Threads about contracted players beyond that (unless media reports suggest there is reason to think they’re going to be traded imminently) is just trolling and will be locked or deleted.
Ok. Shall be interesting to test.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Ok. Shall be interesting to test.
Genuine question? Given that Geelong has never actually dealt with GWS and generally has a pretty good name within the trade world, are there players that are 'gettable', in the event our Kelly leaves?

Only ask because I absolutely love Taranto, but I know that he's pretty well entrenched in your midfield. Would Whit re-signing and another club in a good position offering better money, be a chance of prying him away? Slim chance I know, but I am genuinely curious as he is who would I love at our club (behind Coniglio)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Genuine question? Given that Geelong has never actually dealt with GWS and generally has a pretty good name within the trade world, are there players that are 'gettable', in the event our Kelly leaves?

Only ask because I absolutely love Taranto, but I know that he's pretty well entrenched in your midfield. Would Whit re-signing and another club in a good position offering better money, be a chance of prying him away? Slim chance I know, but I am genuinely curious as he is who would I love at our club (behind Coniglio)
I honestly don't know.

All the Players seem happy at the moment and it's been a while since we had anyone that seemed destined to return.

If talking mids Taranto is a possibility with Hopper recently re-signing but I guess that would depend on the Cogs and Whitfield situations

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
GWS are not known for player retention, this is very difficult with salary cap pressure now and the fact they had/have/will have so many stars due to their unique situation with draft picks. I would predict we will still see a bit of a cycle over the next 5 years where they lose huge talents or potential talents but then replace them with high picks and the cycle continues. I'd be very surprised if they managed to keep all of Cameron, Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto, etc. + 40 others on their list without a star or two being squeezed out to a massive offer.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
GWS are not known for player retention, this is very difficult with salary cap pressure now and the fact they had/have/will have so many stars due to their unique situation with draft picks. I would predict we will still see a bit of a cycle over the next 5 years where they lose huge talents or potential talents but then replace them with high picks and the cycle continues. I'd be very surprised if they managed to keep all of Cameron, Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto, etc. + 40 others on their list without a star or two being squeezed out to a massive offer.
We aren't?

We may have shed a few, that happens when you have a shrinking list and cap size.

But we have kept the majority of who we wanted.

Something something something...Hawthorn have a warchest and he'll be going there without a doubt...something something something...

Well he was spotted at the 2013,2014 and 2015 Grand Final drunk out of his mind. :$

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sure the Giants will work out how to keep him. When Kelly signed, people rolled with 'they can't sign Coniglio too'. Well, it seems it won't be a money issue if he doesn't sign.

You'd think with Patton and probably Tomlinson moved to ease cap pressure, add in an increase in clubs salary cap and that both Deledio and Shaw would be unlikely to play in 2021, I think they will have the money.

GWS has to be a tough place to leave at the moment.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
In that case I hope you are carefully monitoring your blood pressure.

Yep that agreement Lachie had to be traded to Hawthorn after his last contract obviously is a worry. Just like this direct quote from the man himself,

"It was a pretty easy decision really," Whitfield told the GWS website.
"This has been my home since I arrived five years ago and this is where I want to play my football.
"I love the Sydney lifestyle and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
"We're building something special and I’m looking forward to what's to come in the next few years."

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-13/gun-giant-extends-his-deal-until-2020

Back