Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

Sholl is listed as 1cm taller than McCluggage yet he's 4kg lighter. There is definitely room for him to improve his strength and contested game, it's possible that with a stronger body he'll accept the physical side of the game more.
Seedsman was also quite skinny and not the best physical player when he arrived, they managed to bulk him up & I haven't found his defensive side of game too bad in recent years. Hopefully the same can be done with Sholl. At present I'm not a fan but I don't think he's a lost cause. That being said laying a tackle or going the ball at key times has to be a non negotiable and if he doesn't do it then he should spend some extra time in the SANFL. Everyone here used to s**t on Mackay daily but one thing he never ever did was shirk a contest or fail to put his body on the line when he needed to.

Say what you want about David Mackay, but at least he always put his head and body over the ball. He never shirked a contest.

Sholl is soft. There is no other way to put it.

Last year (or year before - I can't remember) in the first game against Port, I called it. Sholl was the softest and most scared player I had ever seen on a footy field. Ever.

He hasn't improved. It's ugly.

Until he can run through the line when he has to go, he can't be picked again.

....... Imho his good doesn't quite override his bad, albeit I think it's a lot closer than others on here. I like Sholl and think we need some predominantly outside players. But it seems as though in scrappy games where we're pressured he doesn't quite have the tools to impact. Clean games where we have some time and space he's fine but those games are rare against strong teams.

Coach Carl says a month playing 50/50 centre & wing in the SANFL then reassess.
This is what I continually bang on about, we need to find finals players as finals are played at a much higher intensity. Sholl wouldn't be left to gather nice free possessions in a final, he'd hardly get a kick!

It's like all those posters who constantly find positives in our pick 9 back pocket when he has a just ok game against weak opposition. Jones would get monstered by the pressure on him in finals. Let him go to the new Tassie side for a nice AFL comp pick.

We need to lift the standard of our expectations

Will be at Carlton next year

What have you heard? A similar rumor popped up on the carlton board today.

Was surprised as I thought he was contracted to 2024. Initially thought he would be ungettable as he looked a gun a couple years back but looks like you lot arent too impressed with him at the moment?

Was surprised as I thought he was contracted to 2024. Initially thought he would be ungettable as he looked a gun a couple years back but looks like you lot arent too impressed with him at the moment?
spenze is a certified ITK. Would be a good get for you guys. Great user.

This is what I continually bang on about, we need to find finals players as finals are played at a much higher intensity. Sholl wouldn't be left to gather nice free possessions in a final, he'd hardly get a kick!

It's like all those posters who constantly find positives in our pick 9 back pocket when he has a just ok game against weak opposition. Jones would get monstered by the pressure on him in finals. Let him go to the new Tassie side for a nice AFL comp pick.

We need to lift the standard of our expectations
It’s funny. I don’t get Jones as a footballer but I still really like Scholl and I’d pick him in a heartbeat over Jones. He’s still young, playing in an average team. His weaknesses are exposed in a manner which they simply wouldn’t be if he was playing for Melbourne. Still totally happy to give him 20-30 games before I get too concerned about anything.

It’s funny. I don’t get Jones as a footballer but I still really like Scholl and I’d pick him in a heartbeat over Jones. He’s still young, playing in an average team. His weaknesses are exposed in a manner which they simply wouldn’t be if he was playing for Melbourne. Still totally happy to give him 20-30 games before I get too concerned about anything.
Is Jones playing in a better team?

Is Jones playing in a better team?
No. But Scholl has actually played a handful of games where he was very, very good. As in best on ground good. Jones has played a handful of games in which he was ok. I can see a footballer in one player and not the other… having said that, if Scholl had Jones’s attack on the footy then he would absolutely be a better footballer. Jones does that well… just not much else.

A better version of Lochie O'Brien.....

Contracted to 2024 after signing a deal 12 months ago.

Weird rumour but wouldn't be upset to lose him should the price be right.

Not sure the ceiling is huge for Lachie to be honest and with Taylor, Soligo, Nankervis looking likely it might be a good opportunity to sell high

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have a work colleague who would be privy to some info (for Carlton) was certain he would be a Blue next year. To be honest, I had no idea he was contracted next year but "contracts" hey, what are they really these days?

Of course he could be playing me up and if he has, well played, he got me hook line and sinker but this was back in early March and since then there has been a couple of references to it on the footy (him returning to Victoria)

As for the "you lot don't seem impressed with him" comment...ahhh this board sometimes. They want to be the first to anoint a newb as the next Dusty Martin and then when a player who has notched 33 games (traditionally, players start getting consistency and iron out deficiencies after 50 games) has such deficiencies, want to be first to call him a bum, the next Rory Atkins, etc etc.

I mean he has parts of his game he needs to clean up and he needs to learn he won't always get that 5 metres he needs but a guy who can kick 50 on either foot is an asset that can be worked with. Personally, I'd rather keep him. I've watched footy nearly 50 years and guys who can kick like he does aren't run of the mill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a work colleague who would be privy to some info (for Carlton) was certain he would be a Blue next year. To be honest, I had no idea he was contracted next year but "contracts" hey, what are they really these days?

Of course he could be playing me up and if he has, well played, he got me hook line and sinker but this was back in early March and since then there has been a couple of references to it on the footy (him returning to Victoria)

As for the "you lot don't seem impressed with him" comment...ahhh this board sometimes. They want to be the first to anoint a newb as the next Dusty Martin and then when a player who has notched 33 games (traditionally, players start getting consistency and iron out deficiencies after 50 games) has such deficiencies, want to be first to call him a bum, the next Rory Atkins, etc etc.

I mean he has parts of his game he needs to clean up and he needs to learn he won't always get that 5 metres he needs but a guy who can kick 50 on either foot is an asset that can be worked with. Personally, I'd rather keep him. I've watched footy nearly 50 years and guys who can kick like he does aren't run of the mill.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess we'll see what happens. From my end would definately like a player like him at the blues. We have heaps of inside mids but definately lack outside run and class.

I've said this before. I don't think he's too soft. He's just too slight and un-athletic. Doesn't have any power and struggles to recover fast enough.

I've been waiting for this to improve as time goes on (it may still improve), but it hasn't.

He's good with time and space, but when he can't find this he struggles.

I know I might be harsh on this kid but I don’t see what he offers a bit Meh with no weapons
Can kick off both feet... but the quality of his disposal has waned.

Looks in need of a break imo.

Bump. What happened to him. He was one of more promising outside players. Seems he lost his two biggest strengths, endurance and kicking

Bump. What happened to him. He was one of more promising outside players. Seems he lost his two biggest strengths, endurance and kicking

Defence-first footy under Nicks, and he just doesn’t have the defensive pressure we’re requiring as a minimum standard of our players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Physically weak.

With his speed (or lack thereof) and his weapon, ie kicking, he needs to built like a Daniel Rich or Stuart Dew.

Sure he can run all day, but at a pretty average pace, which makes it extremely easy for someone to close him down. He therefore either need to really be smarter with his running and pick his moments or have the ability to physically break tackles or brush off a defender.

This is magnified on defence where he is close to the weakest defender/player in the side. I'd rather Newchurch tackle someone over Scholl.

Being weak in the contest can be frustrating to watch, but I still think every team needs some pure outside players.

Think he has a spot in the side as his kicking is a genuine weapon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back