Laidley's Press Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

KangaFett said:
Dean might have made some mistakes, but alot of things havent also been in his favour.

The three previous years saw gradual improvement. He made a few mistakes, but he kept to our tried and true style of play.

This year he's come out with a different style of play and game play which does not suit us because we don't have those type of players to carry out that plan fullstop.

His excuses for when we lose are some of the weakest I've heard in years....
when we played Freo: It was because of the size of the Freo crowd. When we played the Swans last week: It was because of the number of Swans supporters there..........crap!

The plain truth is that he's screwed up this year...... and any excuse will do to deflect any blame.

Get rid of the guy.....he's no good for us anymore...... makes bad coaching decisions, is over secretive, is very media unfriendly, and...... treats supporters with disdain (and I'm not referring to the Telstra incident either).

Woodson said:
MIGHT have made SOME mistakes??? :confused: :eek: how about 'the same mistakes??'

Where the bloody hell have you been KangaFett??? Guatamala?? ;)

How can you stick up for JYD anymore when he is BURNING US week in week out??? :confused:

No watching with reality specs :)

Most of the comments on here arent even constructive - burning hatered doent solve the problem and that most of the comments that are on here....people canning him out of hatered and the fact they cant deal with loosing.

So where the bloody hell have u been :)

Btw my gripe is his stubborness - learn from the mistakes. This character flaw will seal his fate on the end. That and the fact he has a bit to much blind faith in some players.

I just wonder what people here would say if they were in the same situation. 5 losses in a row, it doesn't matter what excuses you use for a loss and it's going to sound bad.

Theres only so many times you can you can give excuses for a loss, and in the long run most press conferences after a loss are full of meaningless pap designed only to get it out he way.

I reckon he had one of two choices today. Bag the players in public or say whatever, get it out the way and cop criticism from people who are analysing every word just waiting for the mistake that they can pull him up on. I reckon you can have a go at the players once or maybe twice a year before that loses effect and you'd have to have a goo dknowledge of the players psyche at the time to know whether it would stand a decent chance of working or not. Probably the best option he had available to him was to say nothing at all, but imagine the battering he would cop then.

If he's said things that aren't correct then he should correct himself (I wonder if he meant past two years, that would sound a lot more accurate) but really I think people read too much into what any coach says to the press after a game. I've seen on here that people think he should be sacked on the basis of a press conference after our fifth loss in a row, all I'll say is I'm glad they aren't making the decisions at the club. I can understand the argument (but don't agree with it) that some want him sacked because of our performances, but for a press conference that most here are just praying that he stuffs up in. Unbelievable.

moomba said:
I just wonder what people here would say if they were in the same situation. 5 losses in a row, it doesn't matter what excuses you use for a loss and it's going to sound bad.

Theres only so many times you can you can give excuses for a loss, and in the long run most press conferences after a loss are full of meaningless pap designed only to get it out he way.

well thats what my problem is with alot of this rubbish on here.

the club reads here....and all they see is whine whine sooky sooky - no alternatives, no constructive responses, no formulated plan.

I dont reckon any one of the 16 AFL coaches should be doing press confrences after matches anyway. I would rather see the club appoint someone as a media representive and after the game have a quick 2-3 minute meeting with the coaching staff after the game listing a couple of good and bad points with the match and formulate a press confrence from there which the representive can sell to the media. We dont see someone like Harrigton on TV much - he could be a possible canidate.

moomba said:

I reckon he had one of two choices today. Bag the players in public or say whatever, get it out the way and cop criticism from people who are analysing every word just waiting for the mistake that they can pull him up on. I reckon you can have a go at the players once or maybe twice a year before that loses effect and you'd have to have a goo dknowledge of the players psyche at the time to know whether it would stand a decent chance of working or not. Probably the best option he had available to him was to say nothing at all, but imagine the battering he would cop then.

If he's said things that aren't correct then he should correct himself (I wonder if he meant past two years, that would sound a lot more accurate) but really I think people read too much into what any coach says to the press after a game. I've seen on here that people think he should be sacked on the basis of a press conference after our fifth loss in a row, all I'll say is I'm glad they aren't making the decisions at the club. I can understand the argument (but don't agree with it) that some want him sacked because of our performances, but for a press conference that most here are just praying that he stuffs up in. Unbelievable.

Fair points Moomba but I suppose Laids just seems to have lost the plot on the field and no matter what he says it is just seen as an excuse. Media is not his strong suit so he can't deflect poor play well like a Sheedy can so he becomes the target. His explanations have changed dramatically since pre season and that is what worries me the most. He got it so wrong.
I honestly believe this form is hurting Laids as much as it is hurting us - you can see it in him. But there are many fans who blame him directly for aspects from recruiting to game plan and he has to take ultimate responsibility.
I also agree that you can't just bag the players week in week out and we don't know what is being said in the huddle or the rooms.
The rumours abound that the players are very unhappy and I hope the club bosses really do know what is going on before it is too late.

Just listened to the post match conferance, and what planet is Dean on!

Bojangles17 said:
laids reminds me an awful lot like frawley, pretty handy in first couple of sesons and then runs out of tricks clutching at straws in the draft recycling anything he can get his hands on...things can only get better:thumbsu:

That's funny, because Spud Frawley was the one offering his opinion on MMM regarding our problems after the match. I couldn't help but find it amusing that he suddenly was able to find the weaknesses in a football squad...

Bojangles17 said:
laids reminds me an awful lot like frawley, pretty handy in first couple of sesons and then runs out of tricks clutching at straws in the draft recycling anything he can get his hands on...things can only get better:thumbsu:

There is no one worse than Frawley!!!!!!

shintemaster said:
That's funny, because Spud Frawley was the one offering his opinion on MMM regarding our problems after the match. I couldn't help but find it amusing that he suddenly was able to find the weaknesses in a football squad...

then again it is probably alot easier to admit the weaknesses of a team when you dont have the pressure of being held accountable as their senior coach. that seems to be a difference between sheeds and pagan and then laidley. sheeds and pagan are more experienced coaches and have somewhat distanced themselves from the teams performance when they talk about where their teams are and where they are going. laidley, being less experienced, appears to be quite attached to what is going on at the moment and it appears to be affecting him.

Re: LIAR LIAR pants on fire

Woodson said:
Very crafty research Joybell27 :thumbsu:

JYD is rapidily becoming good at something at least.... A LIAR!!

Ok, LIAR is abit harsh, let's say he is LOSING TOUCH with reality.

North played well last week to prove the players are capable to match it with the reigning Premiers..... a call for HELP !! we can be rescued but not for the bloke that is tearing them apart. Simple!

All I want to know if the JYD's seat is getting any hotter. His pants will catch fire.

Earlier in the year he was talking about 10 goal defeats when we were beaten by more. Won't be long now and he'll be building himself a bunker to live in beneath 'Arden St' and his assistant coaches will be telling him we're on top of the ladder.

KangaFett said:
well thats what my problem is with alot of this rubbish on here.

the club reads here....and all they see is whine whine sooky sooky - no alternatives, no constructive responses, no formulated plan.
QUOTE]

Well below is the rubbish the club is spewing out to the media. Our coach apparently is not sure what our best side is leading into his fifth season!! In other words our coach has not formulated a plan in 4 years.

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley concedes he is still unsure what his best side is - and may not know until early next season - as the Roos enter the second half of the home-and-away season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back