Lenny Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Very over-rated

Still remember his disappearing act in the 2nd half of the 2009 Grand Final. A club legend, nothing more. Definitely not a 'champion' of the game

Not a chmapion of the game but a champion of his club. Overrated due to the fact he is a "good bloke", much like Bartel.

Not a chmapion of the game but a champion of his club. Overrated due to the fact he is a "good bloke", much like Bartel.

Are you ok in the head??!!! Lenny and Bartel are awesome footballers. If anything they are underrated. There are so many times these two blokes won the game for their team.

Bet you never played

Um Hayes was tagged by Bartel in that match. Bartel had no influence on play either - they cancelled eachother out. Note that both of them went onto win rightful Norm Smith medals in later Grand Finals after being apparent "no shows" in 2009, too? Absurd dismissive comment.

Hayes has been the best player in the comp this year, absolutely. I can't believe people don't rate him that highly. He is a machine. No other elite player in the league at the moment plays to his standard. Imagine Judd or Ablett after two knee recos hahahaha that would be just sad.

Someone noted Cotchin, and I must say he has reminded me of the great. It would be sad if Cotchin played to the same standard and was rated highly just for playing for a more popular team, though. There is simply not enough praise for Hayes in the football world.

On a side note, when I watch a player play an individual game, I tend to give a rating out of ten. On only five occasions off the top of my head did I hold a perfect score for any player. Three of those are for Hayes (R14 2009 vs Geelong, 2009 Prelim VS Bulldogs, 2010 Drawn Grand Final) amazingly enough. (The other two are for J. Brown against Carlton in 2010 and Goddard in the drawn GF.)

Um Hayes was tagged by Bartel in that match. Bartel had no influence on play either - they cancelled eachother out. Note that both of them went onto win rightful Norm Smith medals in later Grand Finals after being apparent "no shows" in 2009, too? Absurd dismissive comment.

Bartel won that match-up, though. 16 tackles and completely shut down Hayes who was BOG at QT.

Also I thought BJ was stiff not to win the NM in 2010. Hayes was outstanding, no doubt, but IMO not the rightful winner.

Hayes has been the best player in the comp this year, absolutely. I can't believe people don't rate him that highly. He is a machine. No other elite player in the league at the moment plays to his standard. Imagine Judd or Ablett after two knee recos hahahaha that would be just sad.

He really hasn't.

Someone noted Cotchin, and I must say he has reminded me of the great. It would be sad if Cotchin played to the same standard and was rated highly just for playing for a more popular team, though. There is simply not enough praise for Hayes in the football world.

Completely disagree. Lenny is loved by all to the point where incidents eg the nightclub episode with Baker, are ignored, because Lenny can do no wrong. :rolleyes:

On a side note, when I watch a player play an individual game, I tend to give a rating out of ten. On only five occasions off the top of my head did I hold a perfect score for any player. Three of those are for Hayes (R14 2009 vs Geelong, 2009 Prelim VS Bulldogs, 2010 Drawn Grand Final) amazingly enough. (The other two are for J. Brown against Carlton in 2010 and Goddard in the drawn GF.)

Hardly surprising considering you think he has been the best player in the league this season.

He's playing incredibly well for a bloke well into his 30's after 2 recos. He'll go down as a champion of the club and if we had have won in 2010 he would have gone down as a St Kilda legend. Right now he's not quite in AA form (nowhere near the best in the comp), but other than Black I don't think there is another 32+ year old midfielder anywhere near as good as he is. I see no reason why he couldn't play another two or three years; his endurance is as good as ever, his sidestep has only gotten better and there could be no better role model for the young players.

Lenny Hayes is an absolute star. The amount of work he does off the ball and tutoring of young players down at the club is incredible, that and he wins himself 30 touches a game and lays crunching tackles. Gun. Out and out gun.

Couldn't have a better guy to lead from the front so the kids can pay attention.

Also Electric, you are an out and out flog going on about Sirengate when you had the AFL on your side anyway, stop trying to derail a Lenny-fest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lenny could be a decent smokey for the Brownlow, although quite unlikely, as Jobe will probably have it covered quite comfortably. But, you never know. Lenny is always a good chance of snagging votes simply because he does all of his work in front of the umpire and, as we all know, votes don't necessarily go to the best performing players, rather the players that the umps notice.

Couple that with the fact that he had a patch of red-hot form for the first couple months and should have a handful of BOG's to his name. Admittedly he hasn't had too many overtly dominant performances since then, but Lenny has a knack of snaring votes when he probably shouldn't (again, umpires vote only for what they see), and if he gets some of those cheapies, that'd go a long way.

Realistically, he has next to no chance. But if he finished the year strongly, who knows?

I think it was the 2010 drawn GF, St Kilda fighting there way back into the game, late in the game, and Lenny Hayes is having a set shot 50 out, the guy has probably never kicked the ball 55m in his whole career, he goes back, and in those tired legs of his pumps the ball 55m and goes straight the the sticks.

That will probably be my most remembered Lenny moment. I was thinking the exact same thing you are. 'Lenny can't kick that far' but lo and behold he puts it through. It's an overused phrase but easily the heart and soul of the club.

Lenny>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mitchell
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Hayes would be equivalent to Sewell in many respects, yet gets mentioned with a lot more fanfare. It's a little odd, to be honest.

Lenny Hayes - 3 x AA, 2 x B&F

Sam Mitchell - 1 x AA, 3 x B&F

Very little between them. Both champions for their club, both fantastic hard at it (and fair) players. Both great blokes!! I would imagine their overall stats (can't be bothered checking) would be very similar.

The comparison between Sewell and Hayes is ludicrous. Maybe that they are both inside players? Hayes however has him covered every day of the week and twice on Sundays!!!!!

Also, using Brownlow stats in an argument doesn't mean much to me and most other supporters with half a brain. All Australian's and coach awards mean a hell of a lot more.

Champion bloke, champion player.
Lol at the electric idiot jumping up and down like Connelly was that day - manic and childish. Good on Lenny for calling him out.
lol at all these St.K supporters getting upset because I don't like one of their players. Cry some more.

lol
look at the comments from this Electric idiot

thats the diff between fans of the game AND their side, (like in 99% of the posters on this thread) and yourself.
me=saints and think hayes is fantastic, i aslo think pav is one of the gun forwards in the comp if not over the last 5 years.

whereas hayes is a dickhead and a cheat because he yelled at your coach
lol
your childness, bias and anger over a game six years ago that resulted in a player yelling at an op coach is here for all to see
and apparently yelling at a coach not means all skill guts determination and skill are out the window and it makes you a dickhead

that noise you can hear is posters laughing at you
not with you
No, that noise is St.Kilda supporters crying. Get over it. Why do you care what I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back