Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny to me that this is even a discussion. The option was there and at the moment he decided to handball it looked a safe and unselfish choice. It wouldn't have been uncharacteristic of a Hawthorn or Geelong forward to have done the same thing. It's just that it's Joey in the context of 2.6 for the day that it seems more important than it perhaps really is.

I know Worsfold has a blank canvas, and won't be judged on this year. But gee he is selling a good story. His media work this year has been outstanding, he is focused and laying some pretty solid foundations for future years.

I have always been a Worsfold fan, and hoped he would coach EFC, but I dread to think what would have happened should we have gone down the rookie coach route!

I have to say that I am loving what I am seeing/hearing.

The only thing that is annoying me now is McKernan but that will end in a few hours time.

The game style is everything I'd hoped it would be, a resolute defensive mentality and work rate balanced out by an equal emphasis of working hard forward. It has not resulted in high scoring yet but that's just a reality of the team we are limited to playing.

If we get back Hurley, Hooker, Watson, Heppell and Myers and can assume that no one falls off the pace of the game (as Crowley might have) I'm looking at preliminary final weekend in 2017 with confidence.

The only thing that is annoying me now is McKernan but that will end in a few hours time.

The game style is everything I'd hoped it would be, a resolute defensive mentality and work rate balanced out by an equal emphasis of working hard forward. It has not resulted in high scoring yet but that's just a reality of the team we are limited to playing.

If we get back Hurley, Hooker, Watson, Heppell and Myers and can assume that no one falls off the pace of the game (as Crowley might have) I'm looking at preliminary final weekend in 2017 with confidence.

Going to be a tough team to play against in a few years.

Going to be a tough team to play against in a few years.

Disagree - I think we are well placed to have our biggest impact in 2017/2018.

From there on 2 years plus time we lose Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Gwilt.

And guys like Hooker, Hocking are nearing retirement or others such as Baguley, Myers, Leuenberger are on the decline.

I think we will see a spike in performance for 2017/2018 and then dependent on recruiting we still have a chunk of players to replace so could possibly take a small step backwards prior to going up again. I don't see our success being 3-4 years. I see that the worst period. Best periods next two years then years 5 onwards.

Disagree - I think we are well placed to have our biggest impact in 2017/2018.

From there on 2 years plus time we lose Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Gwilt.

And guys like Hooker, Hocking are nearing retirement or others such as Baguley, Myers, Leuenberger are on the decline.

I think we will see a spike in performance for 2017/2018 and then dependent on recruiting we still have a chunk of players to replace so could possibly take a small step backwards prior to going up again. I don't see our success being 3-4 years. I see that the worst period. Best periods next two years then years 5 onwards.

We have plenty of up and coming youth to cover retirements, our forward line is very young.

Goddard, Stanton, Watson, Hocking, Myers could easily have 3+ years left each as lack of pace is not going to affect their game.

Leuenberger was a FA so no reason why we can't find another middle age ruck.

It is all about planning for the future and we seem to be doing this well so far.

I see us drafting a big inside midfielder then next year or 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I smell bs.

The coaching staff wouldn't have picked them if they felt the 'top ups' didn't believe in what Worsfold is trying to build.
Relax BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Not everyone in an AFL club is on the same page. It might just be that the full game plan wasn't given to the 'top ups' until after they signed. In any case, Worsfold seems to be making every post a winner at the moment. He'll be judged in the next few seasons.

I have a theorum.

McKernan's been sent down to the VFL to work on his forward craft, working under the theory that him being the centre of attention and playing out of the square every week will be more beneficial for him than playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle in the seniors and having to ruck part of the game (Jamar, Michael and Nyuon means he basically won't ruck in the VFL anymore).

I've been thoroughly impressed with McKernan's knack for getting on the end of general play and his ability to finish, but his reading the play, leading and marking has basically been non existent, which is why I suspect he's not playing ones at the moment, despite him still looking like a good piece of our future.

Who's our fwd coach? who was before him? who out there was a recent smart forward footballer that wants a job or just got a job? Definately more important than drafting, trading players come 2017. Our offence is terrible, I know we gotta bunch of players that have greeted each other for the first time this yr, but seriously in the first qtr nay the first five minutes of a game they have no set up or running patterns

Who's our fwd coach? who was before him? who out there was a recent smart forward footballer that wants a job or just got a job? Definately more important than drafting, trading players come 2017. Our offence is terrible, I know we gotta bunch of players that have greeted each other for the first time this yr, but seriously in the first qtr nay the first five minutes of a game they have no set up or running patterns

Basset in 2015.
Skipworth this year.

Our forward line was never going to be any good this year, no matter who it was given how s**t it's been, and we don't have our best mids delivering the ball to them anymore.

Just exudes mental strength always has and it rubs off onto others perfect guy for our situation. He will not tolerate lack of effort as we have seen with a couple of guys. We won't be easy to play against in the future. I guess he is probably the type of guy who knows his own weaknesses so will get others to complement. A good leader all round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back