News Lewis Young requests trade to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t watched the bulldogs much in recent times but from a distance l ask the question Can Lewis Young actually play key defence at AFL standard.The bulldogs were desperate for key defenders this year and he couldn’t establish a position there.

I understand he filled in, in the ruck. But l am concerned we are trading for a player that the bulldogs didn’t trust as a key defender, was last picked there and may have proven that he isn’t good enough.

Would be good to hear opinions of bulldogs fans who have followed his career as l haven’t seen enough of him in recent times.

Ps. Also getting a little tired of new recruiters and list managers chasing players from there old club.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven’t watched the bulldogs much in recent times but from a distance l ask the question Can Lewis Young actually play key defence at AFL standard.The bulldogs were desperate for key defenders this year and he couldn’t establish a position there.

I understand he filled in, in the ruck. But l am concerned we are trading for a player that the bulldogs didn’t trust as a key defender, was last picked there and may have proven that he isn’t good enough.

Would be good to hear opinions of bulldogs fans who have followed his career as l haven’t seen enough of him in recent times.

Ps. Also getting a little tired of new recruiters and list managers chasing players from there old club.

22 years old 201 cm.

Going from what I have seen and what others have said.

Strengths. Strong intercepting mark. Good athletic profile and deceptively quick.

Weaknesses. Concentration , kicking and body work.

Plenty of areas to work on but has some good strengths.

Cost is pick 52 likely far stronger chance of making it than any kpd we would draft at hat pick.

Surely people from previous club are in an ideal position to determine whether he is worth taking?

Didn't they drop Gardner to Keath get back in . Keath Cordy Gardner would all be in front of him-

Didn't they drop Gardner to Keath get back in . Keath Cordy Gardner would all be in front of him-
There was a period late in the year where Keath & Gardner were both injured and we opted to try Schache in defence rather than play Young as a KPD.

BigFrizz36 nailed his strengths and weaknesses pretty well. Despite developing him for 5 years, we haven’t given him an extended run at AFL level in one position.

He certainly has talent but I’ve always questioned his desire and competitiveness at times. Can take a good mark when intercepting or getting a run at the ball but lacks 1 v 1 ability severely at both VFL & AFL level. I also don’t trust him with ball in hand. He reads the ball quite well and has great athletic abilities so he could still be a late bloomer but he really needs to be settled in defence.

Last edited:
There was a period late in the year where Keath & Gardner were both injured and we opted to try Schache in defence rather than play Young as a KPD.

BigFrizz36 nailed his strengths and weaknesses pretty well. Despite developing him for 5 years, we haven’t given him an extended run at AFL level in one position.

He certainly has talent but I’ve always questioned his desire and competitiveness at times. Can take a good mark when intercepting or getting a run at the ball but lates 1 v 1 ability severely at both VFL & AFL level. I also don’t trust him with ball in hand. He reads the ball quite well and has great athletic abilities so he could still be a late bloomer but he really needs to be settled in defence.
thanks I don't know much about him - I only paid attention to the other three as media kept saying it dogs weakness yet they seemed to defend well when I watched them

He certainly has talent but I’ve always questioned his desire and competitiveness at times. Can take a good mark when intercepting or getting a run at the ball but lates 1 v 1 ability severely at both VFL & AFL level. I also don’t trust him with ball in hand. He reads the ball quite well and has great athletic abilities so he could still be a late bloomer but he really needs to be settled in defence.
Sounds like Liam Jones might be a great mentor and inspiration...

Both Jones and Weiters seem to have taken young defenders under their wings and helped with development (Stocker, Kemp). Young has great upside because of his athleticism and size. Settle him in a KPD position and get those guys to help him out and we might just have a steal on our hands.

Wish Lewis Young nothing but the best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s played KPD at VFL level and been pretty good. He’s been tried forward and in the ruck too, but I think KPD is his most comfortable position.

He’s a slow burner for me; talls like him take time. He’s yet to fill out into his frame. I don’t think you’ll see his best for a few years yet & after some hard yakka in the gym. He’s going to end up a lot stronger than he is now.

I don’t think our manic rebound from defender suits him ; he looks a bit lost out there. If he’s given one position in a more traditional game style he’ll improve.

He played his first game v Carlton and looked very good because you kept kicking the ball down his throat.

He takes the occasional spectacular mark and is a pretty reliable kick.

Knocks on his game have been around game sense and awareness , he Was picked 49 for a reason….

Best of luck to him no hard feelings

By whose metrics were they desperate for a KPD this year?

By the numbers, they were the 4th best defense in the competition.

Beverage likes to tinker with things. He likes to try to prove he's the smartest person in the AFL; he tries things. One of the things he tried this season which almost worked was aimed at Max Gawn; he had Young and Stefan Martin in the ruck to play a negating role whilst developing English up forwards to compensate for Bruce's absence between him and Schache. And behold; it worked, until Melbourne pulled out a variant play of their own and switched Gawn from the ruck at the end of the third term and proceeded to kick 3 goals in 42 seconds.

Beverage's initial innovation in 2016 was pioneering smaller backlines that function as rebounders first and hard defense second. Richmond took it and ran with it - see, Grimes, Vlaustin and Rance, Balta coming through now; their variation is to have at least 1 massive, massive dude to intercept the ball, where the Dogs answer to this was Easton Wood, Caleb Daniels and JJ - but it was very much their game before that. He still prefers it now; Cordy, Wood taking the KPP's, both good kicks, better intercept marks than body to body, and heavily reliant on beating their opponents ahead of the ball to allow them time to outnumber rather than to beat.

Young wasn't needed in defense because they only needed Wood back there to take the big guys, or if he came along in leaps and bounds to be able to provide what Cordy does whilst being a good 10cm taller and 5+ kg heavier.

Right now, we need a backup KPD in case Jones or Weitering goes down, we need backup in case Harry or Charlie goes down, and we have two AFL capable tomorrow ruckman. Young played his junior footy as a KPF, before being developed as a KPD and playing at AFL level as a ruck.

The trade makes all kinds of sense. Why it's kicking up such a tremendous fuss is entirely beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back