Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I SHOULD go out is death by vaginal suffocation...but I'd have to pay someone to do that willingly

belgium_waff.ashx

* mate, you're the most charismatic poster on BF. Your threads always get me to click on them and these days I'm a lot more selective and time poor on BF than I was 5 years ago but your stuff is always thought provoking.
I feel your pain, suffering from depression myself. I find that I don't give a s**t about most things but still tear up and get very sentimental when I have memories of my childhood and youth. I'm 46 years old with a high paying career that I actually enjoy, married with well adjusted teenage kids.
But when it hits you, you suffer badly.
I don't have a magic solution for it, going for a long bike ride helps me, watching old movies works as well, working in my garden for hours with the headphones in works wonders for me and recently I got a new car (middle aged crisis 4wd pick-up with roll bars, think Hi-Lux, Ranger, Navara) that I can't stop washing enough :)
I've recently started looking on my companies intranet job site and manager roles at places like Noosa and Kununurra have come up that I would get if I applied for. I jumped on realestate.com straight away and looked at house prices and even brought up moving to my missus. I'd move to Noosa in a heartbeat and have even thought about doing it on my own for a year or two while keeping our family home down here, travelling between the two states to see the family. But, I'd miss out on too much with them and eventually I don't think any marriage would survive that.
Maybe it's a mid life crisis for me, maybe it's the depression, I don't know but as Sam Malone said in the lastever episode of Cheers, "one by one I seem to be losing my thrills, my tingles".

**** mate, you're the most charismatic poster on BF. Your threads always get me to click on them and these days I'm a lot more selective and time poor on BF than I was 5 years ago but your stuff is always thought provoking.
I feel your pain, suffering from depression myself. I find that I don't give a s**t about most things but still tear up and get very sentimental when I have memories of my childhood and youth. I'm 46 years old with a high paying career that I actually enjoy, married with well adjusted teenage kids.
But when it hits you, you suffer badly.
I don't have a magic solution for it, going for a long bike ride helps me, watching old movies works as well, working in my garden for hours with the headphones in works wonders for me and recently I got a new car (middle aged crisis 4wd pick-up with roll bars, think Hi-Lux, Ranger, Navara) that I can't stop washing enough :)
I've recently started looking on my companies intranet job site and manager roles at places like Noosa and Kununurra have come up that I would get if I applied for. I jumped on realestate.com straight away and looked at house prices and even brought up moving to my missus. I'd move to Noosa in a heartbeat and have even thought about doing it on my own for a year or two while keeping our family home down here, travelling between the two states to see the family. But, I'd miss out on too much with them and eventually I don't think any marriage would survive that.
Maybe it's a mid life crisis for me, maybe it's the depression, I don't know but as Sam Malone said in the lastever episode of Cheers, "one by one I seem to be losing my thrills, my tingles".
Best post in this thread

Also, you're right when you say we can control our thoughts. It's called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It works under the assumption that there is an interrelationship between our thoughts, feelings, behaviour and biology. Why do we do this action? Because I feel this way. Why do you feel this way? Because I think this way. Does what you think make logical sense? No it does not. What is a better way to think? Because changing your initial thought to a better way of conscious thinking, will change the way your subconscious thinks and deals with things, leading to a change in feelings and behaviour.
I have also had Anxiety and Depression for many years and it was only through breaking down after my divorce that I talked to someone . Did a lot of counselling and CBT and came out the other side. Sure I still have anxieties and still have some low days. But I have learned to yell at my brain when the circular thoughts whirl like a tidal wave. I have learnt to like myself when I am hating. When I think people are looking at me I smile where I used to cringe.

But the one thing , and yes it can get annoying, is to talk. You are right it is about finding someone to listen. The hardest thing in the world to do. But don't ever stop searching because you think nobody wants to listen. Its a matter of finding the right person. I am 54 and my generation of men and older and a few years younger were brought up never to bother anyone with their own problems. I call BS.

Mens health gets a bad rap but there is help available. Good luck to you and to GG.exe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This moderator GG.exe always seems so funny and affable and I guess this thread shows we all have our vulnerabilities to the dark side.

I applaud GG.exe in having the courage to speak out, bare his soul for our greater good.

Thanks OP, this is ground breaking

For what I know about you GG.exe this is a cycle that will repeat for the rest of your life as result of what you have been through. You were forced at a young age to question things you should not have. It opened up at consciousness you can't turn off. The world is crazier ATM with whats happening in the US and that does effect sensitive aware people. Many are feeling it. If you go down the medication path, the trauma will manifest biologically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back