Life

Remove this Banner Ad

So many parents just leave their kids to their own devices on ipads/tablets. No parental control on internet or nothing. Some of the stuff our kids come back saying they saw on the internet after being at their dads is unbelievable - nudity, swearing, gore, violence etc. (again since the age of 3 and 4 and now 7 & 8). You speak with other parents and their kids are on them for 2-4 hours a day and most have anger issues or ill disciplined.

I grew up watching 80s horror and slasher movies with my brother who is ten years older, which also have plenty of the above. I turned out ok, or at least whatever issues I do have have naught to do with seeing blood and t***ies in movies. Guess it is all about context and guidance.

The biggest problem kids have to my knowledge today is an addiction to Fortnite - a PG rated game with no adult content, despite the fact a lot of the kids tplaying his also probably have played something more mature like Grand Theft Auto or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So many parents just leave their kids to their own devices on ipads/tablets. No parental control on internet or nothing. Some of the stuff our kids come back saying they saw on the internet after being at their dads is unbelievable - nudity, swearing, gore, violence etc. (again since the age of 3 and 4 and now 7 & 8). You speak with other parents and their kids are on them for 2-4 hours a day and most have anger issues or ill disciplined.
Man, when I was a kid I was watching violent action movies like Face/Off and The Rock, searching through my parents' VHS collections to find any movies that had "Nudity" or "Sex Scenes" listed on the front so I could see some boobies (didn't stumble across their homemade sex tape, thank God), and listening to Eminem rap about raping his mum.

Apart from those 3 assault charges, I think I turned out OK.

The biggest problem kids have to my knowledge today is an addiction to Fortnite - a PG rated game with no adult content, despite the fact a lot of the kids playing his also probably have played something more mature like Grand Theft Auto or something along those lines.
Yeah, what the ****. A Current Affair is always making a big deal about Fortnite... a colourful, glittery little shooting game where there's no blood and you can dab. Meanwhile, I grew up on the mean streets of Vice City, gunning down Haitian gangbangers, trafficking narcotics and having sex with hookers before killing them to get my money back.

Last edited:

I grew up watching 80s horror and slasher movies with my brother who is ten years older, which also have plenty of the above. I turned out ok, or at least whatever issues I do have have naught to do with seeing blood and t***ies in movies. Guess it is all about context and guidance.

The biggest problem kids have to my knowledge today is an addiction to Fortnite - a PG rated game with no adult content, despite the fact a lot of the kids playing his also probably have played something more mature like Grand Theft Auto or something along those lines.

I grew up watching the same 80s action and horror. But just because my parents were negligent doesn’t mean I will be ;) But it’s hard when other six-year-olds are watching Infinity Wat or seeing their deadbeat dad watching hardcore pr0n FFS.

What an absolute farce.

That all said, complaining about kids using tablets is yelling at clouds territory. These kids will be using tech in every aspect of their future lives, knowing how to use it is essential and that includes learning from an early age.

I grew up watching the same 80s action and horror. But just because my parents were negligent doesn’t mean I will be ;) But it’s hard when other six-year-olds are watching Infinity Wat or seeing their deadbeat dad watching hardcore pr0n FFS.

I think a target market for Infinity War is six year olds? I honestly believe, within reason, explicit films are ok. Haven't such much hardcore pr0n directed by John Carpenter however.

That all said, complaining about kids using tablets is yelling at clouds territory. These kids will be using tech in every aspect of their future lives, knowing how to use it is essential and that includes learning from an early age.

Many won't be equipped no matter how much time is spent. Tech is still the domain of the nerds. The people that actually want to use it. Smart technology is making people dumber. 20+ years ago you had to know how to command line just for basic functions. That's an actual IT skill that needed brains and problem solving.

I don't think you can or should stop a kid from using tablets, but it's like watching TV in the 80s or playing Nintendo in the 90s. It's the easy way out, and as a parent (ha, giving parenting advice when I'm not one) you need to set boundaries and good habits early on. If you just give your kids Maccas whenever they want it and let them play iPad whenever they want to then you'll end up with fat, lazy, socially inept kids.

I imagine it's hard for parents these days with the ease of mobile technology. I never had a TV in my room nor could I afford $500 for a 34cm Akai so any TV watching or video game playing was a living room activity. If the parents are entertaining then you can go outside and play. Internet chat rooms, MSN etc. started to kick off in the late 90s but it still meant using the family computer. Now everyone seems to have their own smartphone, tablet, laptop etc. and connections are wireless.

IPads are mandotary at some schools (primary and high school) to complete homework and assignments. Absolute madness
What an absolute farce.

Why? If you are technologically illiterate now it is the equivalent of illeteracy in the 1800s so of course they should be mandatory.
I don't think you can or should stop a kid from using tablets, but it's like watching TV in the 80s or playing Nintendo in the 90s.

Bit like in 1800s school the book worm was told to pick up a weapon and ready aim fire rather than stick your head in a book. Times change.

Why? If you are technologically illiterate now it is the equivalent of illeteracy in the 1800s so of course they should be mandatory.

Bit like in 1800s school the book worm was told to pick up a weapon and ready aim fire rather than stick your head in a book. Times change.
Well...

I think a target market for Infinity War is six year olds? I honestly believe, within reason, explicit films are ok. Haven't such much hardcore pr0n directed by John Carpenter however.

Many won't be equipped no matter how much time is spent. Tech is still the domain of the nerds. The people that actually want to use it. Smart technology is making people dumber. 20+ years ago you had to know how to command line just for basic functions. That's an actual IT skill that needed brains and problem solving.
I think you’re applying our knowledge/standards. My niece is 15 and can code as easily as I used to use a fancy calculator that stumped my parents. I have a friend whose eight-year-old makes stop motion movies already. There will always be a level of knowledge that only the smartest possess, but some of these skills that your or I don’t have now will be commonplace to the next generation. Using tablets, devices etc will be the minimum standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which are, in your opinion?
I expect AI to learn to code and operate computers, especially in offices, lawyers etc

I think a predicative algorithm will be able to interpolated art too as well. Not understand it, but it will produce it within the scope of established current art. I could sell it and people will read into it what they want but the content was a randomised result within the established expectations.

I think you’re applying our knowledge/standards. My niece is 15 and can code as easily as I used to use a fancy calculator that stumped my parents. I have a friend whose eight-year-old makes stop motion movies already. There will always be a level of knowledge that only the smartest possess, but some of these skills that your or I don’t have now will be commonplace to the next generation. Using tablets, devices etc will be the minimum standard.

It's all due to the easiness of apps these days. Raw computing is still a intense practice. Your friends kid probably isn't using professional movie editing suits like I have. I was making lightsabre videos when I was 12. Not bragging about myself, but computing in the 90s and 00s before smart tech and apps equipped me to use programs where there isn't even an effect for fade ins and outs, they have to be done manually with opacity keyframes

Thats not really true. More kids are reading than ever and they prefer paper to e-readers.
Where are these kids? All I see is infants learning to play on a phone or iPad before they can read.
I have 3 grand children, 2 of them aged 8 and 11 are voracious readers, the 13 year old not so much.

They are not allowed on devices on weekdays before and after school which includes television, they are fine with it, it's just what you get used to. They started off on Little golden books, this is the latest they are devouring.

1552575699886.png

Exactly, How many times in 10 years will they have to use a pen?

I hate the logic that, if it wasn't done 20 years ago it still shouldn't be done now.

I was a bit taken aback seeing iPads in a primary classroom, but they are a pretty good resource. It's not like they're sitting there playing games all day, the bulk of the classwork is still in books and worksheets like the Good Old Days. But they are able to use their ipads for research and for assessments.

It is tech that will become more and more commonplace and that they will have to learn to use safely, so i think it is good they are learning young. I think you'd be surprised how many parents too are quite strict in controlling their screen time outside the classroom.

Exactly, How many times in 10 years will they have to use a pen?

I work in tech, and I'm typically the heaviest pen user in my team*. Some guys hardy ever. The odd guy taking pride in never using. Spread of ages too.

* I do it for memory tricks more than any other reason.

That said I would hope that if schools demand iPads that they are offering ways for the parents to buy them cheaply. I've read that lots of schools simply place the burden on the parents. A lot of people would not be very comfortable buying an expensive piece of tech and then entrusting it to a 9 year old.

I'm a huge non believer that teenagers have it harder then ever before.

So much of the world they now have at their fingertips thanks to technology.

For those of you having a go at parents for giving their kids ipads etc to play with, where are you seeing this? As I would assume you are seeing it in public spaces, like a cafe or restaurant. I don't know about you but keeping your kid quiet and well behaved in a social setting is good parenting and to the benefit of most of us.

If you want to go to places where kids are running around like idiots and making a noise then by all means. I'll take the trade off of them using technology for an hour or so over that.

That said I would hope that if schools demand iPads that they are offering ways for the parents to buy them cheaply. I've read that lots of schools simply place the burden on the parents. A lot of people would not be very comfortable buying an expensive piece of tech and then entrusting it to a 9 year old.

We absolutely 100% couldn't afford it at all, and Apple technology goes obsolete so fast I couldn't even take one from work. We already can't use half the apps required as it isn't possible to update the Ios any further.

For those of you having a go at parents for giving their kids ipads etc to play with, where are you seeing this? As I would assume you are seeing it in public spaces, like a cafe or restaurant. I don't know about you but keeping your kid quiet and well behaved in a social setting is good parenting and to the benefit of most of us.

If you want to go to places where kids are running around like idiots and making a noise then by all means. I'll take the trade off of them using technology for an hour or so over that.

My beef is parents with no idea what they are doing handing them whatever so they end up on third party videos where you have stuff like the momo challenge pop up out of nowhere rather than verifying the content.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back