AFLW List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

News over the last month...
  • Brisbane rookie recruit: Greta Bodey (crossing over from soccer)
  • Western Bulldogs rookie recruits: Katy Herron (Gaelic football) and Danielle Marshall (soccer, first American on an AFLW list)
  • Adelaide's Hannah Martin will miss the 2020 season after doing an ACL a couple weeks ago
I'd like to see SA native and Giants outcast Brittany Perry get another shot.
Kicked two goals on the weekend for the Suns in their 50-33 Winter Series loss to Brisbane fwiw.

Lifelines thrown to a few girls who haven't been seen at the top level for a year or two:
  • Richmond sign Akec Makur Chuot - showed a bit for Fremantle in 2017 primarily down back, had one real standout performance against Brisbane
  • St. Kilda sign Kate Shierlaw - turns 31 during the 2020 AFLW season, fairly typical slow-and-unco ruckman but an above-average reader of the play
  • Gold Coast sign Tayla Thorn - honestly can't remember much about her at the Crows except for her long ponytail, still quite young so it's a worthwhile punt for the Suns
The other recent open-age recruits are Grace Campbell (Rich), Rebecca Miller (Rich), Kate Surman (GC) and Olivia Vesely (StK). The Tigers also picked up volleyballer Gabby Seymour as a rookie.

West Coast sign three former Dockers: Emily McGuire (awesome talent, relieved to see her name pop up, hopefully it means her fitness has improved), Beatrice Devlyn (injury replacement in 2017, managed a couple quiet matches, delisted then re-drafted as a rookie, broken finger in a practice match then got delisted again) and Emily Bonser (didn't crack a game, knee injuries). The Eagles have also recruited Danika Pisconeri from Subiaco (adding to their ruck stocks, arguably the one area they didn't need reinforcement) as well as Essendon B&F Hayley Bullas, and Ashton Hill via East Fremantle.

St Kilda elevated Caitlin Greiser to their AFLW list (looks like a monster of a unit with cult status upside, assuming there's room for both her and Munn in the same forward-line), Richmond likewise with Kodi Jacques (a matter of hours after my previous post, as always). And Carlton, having latched onto what seems like a winning formula through Chloe Dalton and Brooke Walker, signed another Rugby 7s convert in Katie Harrison.

The open-age/academy signing period ends on August 30, so I would've thought we'd see a few more announcements (particularly from the Saints?) between now and Friday evening.

I was waiting for more news to come through because the numbers don't quite add up yet, but here are the announced additions from the end of last month.

Rookie signings
West Coast: Mhicca Carter (rugby union)
Nth Melb: Aileen Gilroy (Gaelic football)
Carlton: Joanne Doonan (Gaelic football)

Open-age/academy signings:
Gold Coast: Taylor Smith
St Kilda: Sammie Johnson

But of course there was a big story just yesterday with Nathan Burke revealed as the new coach for the Bulldogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back