Society/Culture Listen to the end of the world - The Last Broadcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's quite well done and worth a listen.

A radio play which reflects the chilling possibility of what could have happened if the superpowers of the world decided to go nuclear during the Cold War. The events described in this recording take place in the early 1980s after a large-scale Soviet invasion of West Germany. I have no idea who originally made this recording but as far as I can tell it it was for a class project and all credit should go to the original creators, whoever they may be. *For those of you who are unaware, this is at least the 3rd iteration of this radio play uploaded to YouTube. To my understanding, all preceding copies of this recording have been removed from the internet and I felt this recording was just too good to be forgotten. For this reason, I am uploading this recording so those interested may have the ability to listen to it. I hope this copy will not suffer the same fate as the others, but if it does get removed I will make a video explaining why.*

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
It's quite well done and worth a listen.

A radio play which reflects the chilling possibility of what could have happened if the superpowers of the world decided to go nuclear during the Cold War. The events described in this recording take place in the early 1980s after a large-scale Soviet invasion of West Germany. I have no idea who originally made this recording but as far as I can tell it it was for a class project and all credit should go to the original creators, whoever they may be. *For those of you who are unaware, this is at least the 3rd iteration of this radio play uploaded to YouTube. To my understanding, all preceding copies of this recording have been removed from the internet and I felt this recording was just too good to be forgotten. For this reason, I am uploading this recording so those interested may have the ability to listen to it. I hope this copy will not suffer the same fate as the others, but if it does get removed I will make a video explaining why.*

Terrifying - born at the tail end of the Cold War (87) so didn't live through it, but have been involved in some emergency broadcasting and the final 20 minutes hits very close to home.

What's really horrifying is how much of the system (once you pass a certain threshold) is geared towards delivering an instantaneous response or reaction - once either the American or Russian leaders make the call to hit the button, it could all be over that quickly.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/nukes - deals with the American end in quite a bit of detail and is well worth a listen.

Also makes you appreciate someone like Stanislav Petrov - imagine if he'd been having an off day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back