London 2012 - Swimming Events

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i was surprised he broke down. I'm still yet to see what the fuss is all about regarding his start. There was talk in the studio of it, but they only showed a replay of the last 100m.

Oh he well and truly broke. He dived into the pool before the beeper went off, but it seemed to be ignored and he just climbed out and prepared for his dive again. Was kind of weird to see. It was like everyone just blanked it.

geez Liesl Jones gives an awkward interview. The weakest leg of that medley, and in talking to Giann Rooney after the race said that "I didnt care where we came just so long as we had fun".

I know shes been an amazing performer for Australia in previous olympics, but with the weight issue and the way she was speaking, you get the feeling she didnt put in 100% effort to be in her best condition for these games. Shame really. Not that im making her an escape goat, but we dont need that happy go lucky attitude catching on with the rest of the athletes.

Ignorant post at best.

Anyone with more knowledge about swimming than me could perhaps help me out here.

That was the worst performance by Australia in the pool in probably close to 30 years.

Overall medals we were ok, winning 10 medals overall which was the same as the Chinese, one behind the Japanese who had 11 total medals in the pool and of course the US on top with 30. But where we suffered were actually winning golds. Only 1 gold in our 10 medals. Also 10 medals total is very low compared with our previous Olympic hauls.

Anyways, my question to any knowledgeable aussie swim fan is... do we have a Missy Franklin? The US just seem to churn out star after star but do we have any young kids coming through that we can hope to hang our hat on come Rio14? Or are we going to continue going backwards?

Anyways, my question to any knowledgeable aussie swim fan is... do we have a Missy Franklin? The US just seem to churn out star after star but do we have any young kids coming through that we can hope to hang our hat on come Rio14? Or are we going to continue going backwards?
With their college system, and the resources being pumped into China and Europe, I think we need to expect this to become the norm from here on.

Adrian is doing so far under his pbs maybe rumours should started about HIM.
From what I hear the broken water in relays actually makes you swim about 0.7 seconds faster than what you would swim under clear water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he got away with it because apparently it was caused by someone in the crowd. Would be silly not to have let him swim...it's a 1500m, the start means nothing. Loved his celebration at the end.

I think he got away with it because apparently it was caused by someone in the crowd. Would be silly not to have let him swim...it's a 1500m, the start means nothing. Loved his celebration at the end.
Yeah, but when you're as disciplined and focussed as Olympic swimmers are supposed to be, particularly the Chinese, it seems a pretty piss weak mistake to make, especially when no one else broke. I love the Olympics, but there are some moments which make you shake your head and, unless I'm unaware of the rules or something else, this is one of them. That's a hollow gold and WR, for mine.

Yep of course. Olympic week lack of sleep is stuffing up my biorythms and logic.

And sending the kids over to the NCAA collegiate system, say Brett Hawke in Alabama, to work on their racing and turns, is a pretty cheap way of outsourcing, and getting an education. Lots of these swimmers are type 1 personalities, alphas. Stephen Soloman (400 m runner on track) is off to Stanford. Thats a cheap golden circle degree right there.

REH, impressed?

Darren Clarke?

People are gonna be ignorant and go on about the lack of golds, but 10 medals in the pool is still a mighty effort and we should be very proud of that. The only bad swim was the 4*100m mens free relay, but other than that, there wasn't much else we could have done.

We just don't have those 'freak' swimmers like the Americans and Chinese atm, but our time will come again. It is hard to expect complete dominance forever, and 10 medals shows that we aren't far off the mark. Improvements in starts and turns is certainly needed, but I am overall quite happy about the meet.

I also don't mind having more even competition now, it'll only make swimming a stronger sport.

Anyone with more knowledge about swimming than me could perhaps help me out here.

That was the worst performance by Australia in the pool in probably close to 30 years.

Overall medals we were ok, winning 10 medals overall which was the same as the Chinese, one behind the Japanese who had 11 total medals in the pool and of course the US on top with 30. But where we suffered were actually winning golds. Only 1 gold in our 10 medals. Also 10 medals total is very low compared with our previous Olympic hauls.

There's a young Victorian who broke some records at the age nationals, I might have a look at the results from this year.

For the record when I was swimming no one was getting close to Thorpe's age records, and this was 2-3 years ago.

Sun Yang broke early in the 1500m.

But still allowed to compete...
Why was he allowed to swim? he was the only one that broke.
The break the other night was preceeded by a definite starting buzzer coming through the TV sound. The guy just now broke plain and simple. It wasn't that loud in the arena and it's not as if the start is important in the 1500m.

No one raised an eyebrow as far as I can see. It was like it wasn't a big deal at all.

The English commentators just said that the Germans haven't won a single medal of any colour in the pool.

WTF? And we thought we were having trouble.

I heard something. This would be ridiculous to dq someone, for the next four years, which default may be his/her entire career when the level may pass him by, and would open up a potential lawsuiit, if they cant prove the venue was silent. Four years, noise, or some whackjob makes a bang in the crowd.

Aemon Sullivan complained about thiis after his 50. Would one be so vociferous if Sullivan got his second oppurtunity?

And you could tell with the leap, there was no doubt in the Chinese swimmers mind, that he was leaping for the start.

How can swimming Australia let these guys train in our own backyard and then watch our own programme go to s**t.
Unbelieveable!

What a s**t fight that would have been if he got dq'd...Chinese would have gone ape and probably stprmed the pool deck lol

Well, some coaches have the right to earn a better income. I remember in about 96, Therese Alshammar at Waverly Waterlions (Hailebury in Dingley) training with the headcoach there. She won silver at Olympics I am sure, in either 50 or 100. And Park the 400 Skorean, was at Sydney U I think. May have also been at Waverly Waterlions. The Chinese 1500 guy is with Cotteral at Miami. An Italian gold medalist Massi Rossalino was at VicCentre with Dennis Pope in Albert park, he won gold in medley in Athens I think.

You gain roughly half a second from the flying start as well.
think they said 0.7 to be tedious. (aplogies)

but even with the ability judge the finish and make the jump on what a traditional start would be, I thought some of the Aussies were lingering. They must have been quite concerned about a dq and a false start.

chargers, did you notice this?

0.7 seems a long time. The IAAF allows for 0/3 of a second for reaction time, and (usually its sprinters in the blocks eh) the faster reactions are in the 0.3's tneth, to the 0.5s tenth.

But they measure first movement. so it could come from the upper body. I assume that a relay swimmer, has to be still, and cannot have moved, until the swimmer coming in has touched? And they would be measurring the swimmers upper body, and movement that goes thru the blocks thru the feet (re: one the upperbody starts to move, the blocks can determine this)

think they said 0.7 to be tedious. (aplogies)

but even with the ability judge the finish and make the jump on what a traditional start would be, I thought some of the Aussies were lingering. They must have been quite concerned about a dq and a false start.

chargers, did you notice this?

0.7 seems a long time. The IAAF allows for 0/3 of a second for reaction time, and (usually its sprinters in the blocks eh) the faster reactions are in the 0.3's tneth, to the 0.5s tenth.

But they measure first movement. so it could come from the upper body. I assume that a relay swimmer, has to be still, and cannot have moved, until the swimmer coming in has touched? And they would be measurring the swimmers upper body, and movement that goes thru the blocks thru the feet (re: one the upperbody starts to move, the blocks can determine this)

By the time the swimmer has touched the wall, only your feet have to be on the blocks. The bloke swimming the butterfly leg was notorious even when he was younger for being slow off the blocks, with the flying to start you tend to gain a bit of time as you can "commit" to the dive and have a little bit more momentum the you usually would due to being able to move your upper body.

By the time the swimmer has touched the wall, only your feet have to be on the blocks. The bloke swimming the butterfly leg was notorious even when he was younger for being slow off the blocks, with the flying to start you tend to gain a bit of time as you can "commit" to the dive and have a little bit more momentum the you usually would due to being able to move your upper body.

ok, so you are able to wind up from the upper body. In the track and field blocks, they measure the movement from the upper body too, this is what I was getting at. (obviously this is a relay and not a gun start from the blocks in the aths)

I'm having a geeze at the results from this years age nationals and it appears from ages 13-15 we have some very strong records with a lot of records getting broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back