Bomber Spirit

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
The current 9/10/Fox consortium still have the rights to the footy for this year and next year. The new rights being negotiated now aren't due to start till 2007.
I'm a bit surprised and mystified why they're up for negotiation so early. Is there any need for such a long turnaround time?
Even if it takes all of this year to settle the next round of TV rights, the current people will still have it next year. And by the look of it, there'll be at least one current rightsholder who will miss out. Expect that broadcaster to seek revenge on the AFL by cutting back on both the quantity and quality of their broadcast, like Ch 7 did in 2001; and if it's a really bitter fight for the rights, that "doomed" rightsholder will use their position in 2006 to attempt to sabotage the game.
The AFL would be better closing off negotiations until after the current rights are due to finish, but making a statement to current rightsholders that their chances of getting the rights back will be improved the better the coverage is, while poor coverage (particularly in the northern states) will be held against them.

If it's Channel 9 that misses out, the only way they could make their broadcasts worse is to have Robert Walls on the team as well. I don't know how Dennis Cometti, a true professional, puts up with the rubbish talked by Brereton, Lyon and Eddie. The way Eddie put Cometti, an ex-7 guy, on the spot last night was a disgrace. I agree with all the Pie folk who think Eddie has been good for the club. But please, get him off the box. Once the conflict of interest bothered me, though clearly Eddie didn't believe it existed, or could see how same could even be perceived. Now I couldn't care less about the conflict, I just can't stomach his style or his content. He is a bully.

Certainly it isn't great, but it's only going to get worse.
Already we've seen one cry-baby tantrum from the Ch 9 people with their 11:30pm replay in Sydney on Thursday night not going to air until after midnight. Unfortunately we can only look forward to more of that over the next couple of years, with the football fans in the "developing markets" being held to ransom by Ch 9's hissy fits.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back