Looking to play next year with no previous experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, I'm due for a bit of an update, so here goes.

I played in a trial game in the reserves against a lower division side and we belted them off the park, and I gobbled up quite a few possessions playing at half forward, took and spoiled a few marks. One of my coaches said I looked like a 100 game player, so that was quite a shock and having the team all say I did alright was something I wasn't expecting.

In round 1 playing in the reserves (where I've seem to have held down for the time being) I scrounged up a few kicks and handballs and managed to snag a goal, which was nice, but we went down by a couple of goals. I didn't feel like I had effected the game much though.

Round 2 we smacked a team by around 70 odd points, and I didn't do much in that either, and I was pretty disappointed in myself. So not a lot happened there.

Round 3 we got belted by around 100 points, and I played half the game. Disappointment in myself started turning into frustration, and at training that week I was really negative towards myself.

Yesterday we got thumped by around 180 points, but I managed to get the ball a few times, lay a few tackles so personally I've played worse, but it was still a shocking result to be a part of. With about 10 minutes to go I was chasing a loose ball with someone else from the other team, he was in front of me and finally managed to grab the ball. He tried to handball over his head, but instead missed the ball with his fist and collected my face, which took me down for a good 30 seconds or so, and goddamn there was blood everywhere. Came off for a bit with blood rule but was out again for the merciful final siren.

I've been told I'm really critical of myself, but I know I can play a lot better than what I am right now. At best I'm touching the ball around 10 times a game, and I'm now getting frustrated at myself and really second guessing my abilities as a footballer. The boys have all been supportive but I'm still very much quite down at the moment.

You need to lighten up mate, if you spend the whole game worrying about how you're going you might miss the 1%er's you can do to help the team.

If you're worried about your next kick, you may miss opportunities to run to create space, or lay a shepherd or use your voice to help a teammate out of position etc.

One of the biggest frustrations I find at training isn't the bloke who constantly misses targets, its the bloke that misses a target then gets down on himself, walks to the next cone and doesn't work hard to mop up his error.

If you drop a mark, get down and gather the footy immediately, or put on a shepherd for someone else to. If you miss a target, follow up your kick with a hard sprint to support the receiving player etc etc

find out what some of your coaches non negotiables are, and do your darndest to stick to them. Eg. If its a team rule that you always spoil from behind, then make sure you do it. If its a team rule to kick long up the line when in trouble, then don't centre the footy. If its a team rule to aggressively man the mark at all times, then make sure you do it etc etc.

You may not feel like you're having an influence, but coaches and teammates love blokes that have an influence, even when not getting the footy. If you're playing HFF, then pushing back hard into the corridor when the opposition is rebounding, or running hard to slow down ball movement when the opposition is switching play will most certainly be noticed by the coaching staff. Sometimes the best running goes unrewarded, but a HFF who pushes hard across the ground so a switch is slowed down and forces a defender to push back off the mark instead of play on is incredibly vital, and I guarantee its more important than a cheap kick.

Thanks for the post Thommo. I'll respond and make a general update next.

One of the big things that my coach(es) have targeted is that I'm very critical of myself. I do think I'm actively trying to quell that every week, so there is progress, but if I do shank a kick badly enough it will get to me.

I do try and make a few 1%'ers, but sometimes I go out of my way to do so. I get a few shepherds per game, but I've been told if I didn't get so caught up in trying to block someone I could have been an option to receive the ball instead. I would like to be fitter, just so I can run to the backline more often and still maintain myself enough to be a problem in the forwardline too. I thought I did alright in preseason, but I need to be fitter.

Ok, now for a more general update. I'm really frustrated and a bit down. I got knocked in the face a couple of weeks ago, and after getting my xrays I've been told I've fractured my nose in three places and I'm not allowed to play for four weeks. I can't breathe out of one side of my nose, I think it's still swollen up a bit and I'm waiting for it to go back to normal, it's doing my head in. I've still been training (obviously sitting out of the more contact oriented drills, just in case) to keep the skills and fitness up, and also outside of footy going for a few runs through the week, to try and improve my running a bit.

This weekend will be the second game I'll miss out on, and it's bloody awful missing a game when otherwise, I'm feeling fit. I don't know how players with more serious injuries deal with it. Some players are saying an injured nose is worth waiting for recovery, just so it doesn't happen again and make it worse, while others are saying keep playing, it's not a hampering injury like a hamstring.

MegaBob

Sounds to me like you just need to settle down and enjoy it a bit more
Don't be so hard on yourself
I played in plenty of great teams but also over the years in some teams that struggled
I always admired the guys from struggling teams who tried their guts out but still enjoyed it and just kept their heads up, some of these guys are my closest mates now
Remember, your not playing for sheep stations mate, if you are in a side that is struggling , quite often if you keep your chin up and never give up, the respect you receive from the opposition players is wonderful and can turn into some if the best friendships of your life

I have had a similar experience Megabob, also in the SAAFL. I started late at 16 years of age, but probably not as late as you.

In the early (u16-u18) days, my frustratiom after matches was immense. I felt like I trained well and had enough ability, but on game day I could never put it together. I couldn't accumulate countless disposals (10 touches was a day out for me) and I felt embarassed at my limited output.

But eventually, I stopped being so hard on myself. I think we imagine we need to produce AFL like efforts (30 touches and a few goals), but at amateur level very few players are capable of this.

As cliché as it sounds, it's all about performing your role for the team. As a poster described above, coaches and team mates value hard runs, smothers, working the mark and spoils. They also appreciate when a bloke butters up a mistake rather than sulks. Instead of attempting the spectacular, I suggesr focus on doing the basics well - they stand up at amatuer level.

As for me today, I've now been playing for nearly 9 odd years. I've broken bones playing footy, i have notched nearly 100 senior games ranging from C division to Div 2, played in a premiership and cobbled together a few club trophies... But guess what? I've still never had more than 20 disposals in a match!

I have no idea if I've ever had 20, we don't do stats and I never count.

I'm quite certain I have a few times, especially when playing onball/ruck - but often playing CHB or half forward I doubt I get 20 too often

Megabob,
I'm currently in the same situation you were last year.
Never played afl but always wanted to and played soccer for the last 10 years
I'm playing soccer this year but I've had enough of the atmosphere around the team and lack of camaraderie and ive decided I'm gunna play footy next year.
I'm 6,4" and weigh about 102kg. Reasonably fit but not spectacular.
My question to you is, are you glad you decided to play footy, are you enjoying it more than soccer and what do you think the 5 main things someone should focus on with learning to play footy?
Cheers Eddie

Hey Stoat. Off the bat, I love playing footy now. I embrace training every week and can't remember when I've looked forward to gameday with so much enthusiasm. Certainly a departure to soccer where I was going through the motions.

Now, for five points about the transition:

1. Football requires a skillset completely different to soccer (duh, bear with me). If you've decided that you're definitely playing football and haven't before, start preparing now. Go for a run around the park bouncing the ball. Kick the ball and try and try to get rid of that hook that's natural for when you kick a soccer ball. Throw it up, catch it. It's taken me a while to build up the skills I have now, but without the work I did before preseason started, I'd be a lot more behind.

2. Be fit. You need some running capacity in the game, if you start getting ready now, preseason shouldn't hit you as hard. You play soccer already, so obviously you'll have some base to work off. Be prepared for what the ball does, it bounces in the stupidest ways and you'll often have to chase the ball or whoever has it. Shuttles, unfortunately, are great for preparing for this. Time trials will happen too, so try and find a 3km/5km trial you know of and start chipping time off that. Being fit gets you a long way in amateurs.

3. Try and get accustomed to kicking with both feet, I never have, laziness more than anything else I suppose, but I've started this year. It really does help. Amateur footy is not like what you see on tv, it feels rushed and there are times you'll be grateful for knowing how to kick off both sides of your body.

4. Don't get frustrated at yourself. Don't. I was notorious for getting really annoyed at myself at soccer for stuffing up somewhere, and I am too at the football club I'm part of now. I've been roasted a couple of times for it, and now I think I'm slowly getting over it now. Something I just thought of which should probably be around the top of the list is second efforts. Things rarely go as you plan in footy and if you kick to a contest, the expectation is that when the ball leaves your foot, you're in to help your teammates. If you drop your head, you probably won't want to get anywhere in a hurry. Get your head out of that. Remember, you're just starting out, everyone on that field has played more than you. Remember that.

5. Prepare for a lot of information over the year, I'm literally learning something every week. Placement on the field is a huge thing to pick up on, and you will learn things that a junior would know, you're starting from the ground up. How to tackle, kick properly, spoil marks, second efforts, head over the ball stuff, it's all new.

Also be committed. If you show you're interested, want to train and learn and be a part of the team you'll get it back from everyone. If you're getting absolutely belted on the training track and have been running until it hurts, look to your sides and see that everyone else is going through the same thing. If you're the new guy and stick it out week after week, you'll be respected amongst the group.

If you have more questions after this post, feel free to ask on this thread.

As a current player I thought I would add something, whether you choose to use it or not is up too you.

If you're still struggling with kicking I suggest spending 15 minutes at the beginning of training doing good old fashioned Kick-to-Kick. Not a sloppy, lazy one though. Get about 5-10 Metres apart (You can decide on the distance) and then get on the tips of your toes and start kicking. Try your hardest to to your kicks low and fast so the ball is buzzing around. By the end of your 15 Minutes you should be dripping with sweat, if not you'll need to go harder.
You'll be surprised by how much you improve.

As a current player I thought I would add something, whether you choose to use it or not is up too you.

If you're still struggling with kicking I suggest spending 15 minutes at the beginning of training doing good old fashioned Kick-to-Kick. Not a sloppy, lazy one though. Get about 5-10 Metres apart (You can decide on the distance) and then get on the tips of your toes and start kicking. Try your hardest to to your kicks low and fast so the ball is buzzing around. By the end of your 15 Minutes you should be dripping with sweat, if not you'll need to go harder.
You'll be surprised by how much you improve.

Thanks, I'll definitely get to training next week earlier and do that. I'm still trying to find a good pre match routine to warm up before the team comes together and we all warm up together. I may use that to start up for the day.

Thanks for the reply Bob,
I thought about playing footy this year (but ended up being talked into playing soccer again) so I did get a ball and Ive kicked it around a bit at the start of the year just taking shots at goal and kicking with a mate and it wasnt too bad, get a pretty straight drop punt of about 50-55m, need to work a bit more on low spearing kicks 25-35m and deffo need to work on my weak foot though, not much accuracy or distance with it at the moment.
I think I'll have to work on my handballing too especially once again with my weak hand, is there anything you've been able to do practice wise by yourself thats improved that?
With footy is the talk on the field similar? I play centre midfield at soccer and Im a huge talker, organising everyone around me at freekicks and in defence is that the norm for footy as well?
Also are the calls similar? i.e.- "Man on", "time", "take space" "outside you or square" etc
With the fitness side of things, what sort of times do you run the 3 and 5km in? Ill only be aiming for a third grade position at the moment but Id rather be as fit as poss to make up for my skill level being less than everyone else's.
I know there will be a lot that I'll only learn by playing but I just want to have as much knowledge beforehand as I can.
Thanks again for answering my questions

Thanks for the reply Bob,
I thought about playing footy this year (but ended up being talked into playing soccer again) so I did get a ball and Ive kicked it around a bit at the start of the year just taking shots at goal and kicking with a mate and it wasnt too bad, get a pretty straight drop punt of about 50-55m, need to work a bit more on low spearing kicks 25-35m and deffo need to work on my weak foot though, not much accuracy or distance with it at the moment.
I think I'll have to work on my handballing too especially once again with my weak hand, is there anything you've been able to do practice wise by yourself thats improved that?
With footy is the talk on the field similar? I play centre midfield at soccer and Im a huge talker, organising everyone around me at freekicks and in defence is that the norm for footy as well?
Also are the calls similar? i.e.- "Man on", "time", "take space" "outside you or square" etc
With the fitness side of things, what sort of times do you run the 3 and 5km in? Ill only be aiming for a third grade position at the moment but Id rather be as fit as poss to make up for my skill level being less than everyone else's.
I know there will be a lot that I'll only learn by playing but I just want to have as much knowledge beforehand as I can.
Thanks again for answering my questions

Oh man, sounds like you'll be fine. A 50-55 metre drop punt is a great weapon to have. I wouldn't worry about the spearing passes yet until you start hitting training properly. I was fine with that aspect before I started training with the club, and that kind of went out the window for me. Although I do that was a confidence/mental issue I have. One thing I've been told often is to not worry about those lace out passes all the time, even just a kick to vacant space is better than a kick that has a chance of being intercepted. I do say this without knowing how confident you are with your kicking, if you can hit these passes/kicks 100% of the time, go for your life, your teammates will love you for that service.

Handballing I wouldn't worry about too much, you pick it up very quickly and most warmups in a training (or even pre-match) consist of handballing to each other, and the hand that you hit with will get mixed up a couple times. I never really practiced a whole lot before starting preseason, and it hasn't been too much of a weakness thus far.

I was like you when playing soccer, pretty vocal. A lot of calls are the same, 'square it', saying you want the ball on the outside or inside, 'you're hot' or 'man on' are the same thing. Anyway, my point is, what you've learned to say in soccer definitely translates to football. One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that voice is huge in football. The game is bloody quick and your teammates will rely on the calls they get during the game from everyone else. You pretty much don't have a choice but to be loud. I also find myself saying these things instinctively throughout the game without thinking of the particular words, I'm sure you will too.

At the start of preseason, I had a 3k time of... 14, maybe 13:30 minutes? I can't quite remember, our best was something like 12 minutes I think. I think I'll be better now than in preseason though. Footy training doesn't seem to let up throughout the season. Preseason was bloody tough, but some sessions now can be quite brutal too. As long as you keep fronting up to training, you'll get fit(ter) before you know it.

Yeah ok cool.
There's plenty there to work on but if I keep practicing hopefully ill be not to bad by the time next season comes around.
Ill just keep working on my fitness and try and get it to a decent level before preseason too.
Keep updating us on how your seasons going, I for one find it interesting.
If I've got any other questions ill post them on here for you and lastly lets hope the pies make the finals!!!!
Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting thread, and god luck to everybody new to playing footy.

Over the journey, i have played footy with a lot of guys who came from Soccer, union and league backgrounds, and they have all bought skills from their former games that impact in a positive way to footy.

Can't help but comment on the team camraderie though, together with school, most of my life long friends have been blokes i have played footy with, football is a tough game and blokes will respect each other, and treat each other like brothers when tough games are won, blood is spilt and bodies are thrown into the contest.

Sounds corny, but for me, it is the truth of the matter, i have played at reasonable level in tennis teams, volleyball and cricket, but nothing has come close to the feeling of camraderie that a football team offers.

Enjoy your football, make some great mates and don't be to hard on yourself. :)

Updates have been great mate, looking to get back into footy myself.

Originally was supposed to start back next year (had rubbish fitness until about 5 months ago), haven't played since I was in high school (i'm 26 now). But my mate is trying to convince me to play this weekend in his thirds side. Anyone got any advice? What are the skills like in the thirds?

Had a few kicks with a mate, kicking is probably below average, will this be a problem? Reckon I should hold off or give it a go?

Updates have been great mate, looking to get back into footy myself.

Originally was supposed to start back next year (had rubbish fitness until about 5 months ago), haven't played since I was in high school (i'm 26 now). But my mate is trying to convince me to play this weekend in his thirds side. Anyone got any advice? What are the skills like in the thirds?

Had a few kicks with a mate, kicking is probably below average, will this be a problem? Reckon I should hold off or give it a go?

It's C grade, you won't get crucified for skill errors. Our C grade team has the least wins out of all of our grades but they probably get along the greatest. As cliched as it sounds, just get out there and have fun. At least playing an odd game in the latter part of this season will let you know if you want to have a real go at the game next season. If you feel you can do it, by all means get out there this weekend.

Yeah, my mate keeps telling me that its fine that i'm s**t, i'll pick it up as i play. I just don't want to be that clueless guy out there (I think my knowledge of the game and all that is great, but putting it into action could be tough), with a lack of skill that is pissing everyone off. I don't think i'm completely talentless, it's just more I need to regain skill

Another update incoming.

So there's four games left in the regular season, and I seem to have nailed down a starting spot in the reserve grade, which I'm quite happy with after being in the C's for a week after injuring myself. My position tends to be one the wing, and I think I've finally turned the corner that other people in this thread have alluded to and not worry about racking up possessions and instead doing the off the ball things that contribute to the team. I still get a few kicks and handballs and for some reason win a free kick every week (I'm not ducking, I swear). I don't really count how many touches I get, but I guess it's around 10 to maybe 15 touches a game, which I'm fine with.

I haven't got too much to say in the way of updates at the moment, but I have learned playing in the mud and rain is possibly the most fun a person could possibly have.

Yeah, my mate keeps telling me that its fine that i'm s**t, i'll pick it up as i play. I just don't want to be that clueless guy out there (I think my knowledge of the game and all that is great, but putting it into action could be tough), with a lack of skill that is pissing everyone off. I don't think i'm completely talentless, it's just more I need to regain skill

Oh man, don't worry. I'm sure the team will be happy that you can fill in, being short of numbers is awful and the fact that you came down to help out will not go unnoticed. If you can, find a time to head out with your mate and just keep trying to hit the skills you can touch up on in the time that's left. I honestly wouldn't be worried about the team getting frustrated at you, if anyone does arc up that would be a very floggish thing to do.

Ah Really? Thats good. As I said haven't played in years, so was unsure about expectations and stuff. I'm gonna head out for a kick tonight and see how I go. He was probably right in saying that the best way to improve is actually get some game time in me

Thanks for the help

Ah Really? Thats good. As I said haven't played in years, so was unsure about expectations and stuff. I'm gonna head out for a kick tonight and see how I go. He was probably right in saying that the best way to improve is actually get some game time in me

Thanks for the help

No worries man, good luck out there. Let us know how it goes!

Update from saturday. Got thumped by the top team, but that was to be expected, theyre a pretty serious bunch. Got about 10 touches and laid some good tackles. Was pretty happy with it for my first game, was killed in the ruck, so thats something ill need to work on.

Playing my first game this Saturday at a Youth Girls team in my area. I am absolutely pumped!

I don't think there is a girl out there who loves and analyses footy as much as I do, but I'm worried that my knowledge and love of the game won't really rub off performance wise.

My endurance could use some work, but surprisingly I feel like I can run out games better when I'm actually determined to be there.

My kicking technique is average, I'll hit the target maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10. Could use some advice on that, anyone please?

Playing my first game this Saturday at a Youth Girls team in my area. I am absolutely pumped!

I don't think there is a girl out there who loves and analyses footy as much as I do, but I'm worried that my knowledge and love of the game won't really rub off performance wise.

My endurance could use some work, but surprisingly I feel like I can run out games better when I'm actually determined to be there.

My kicking technique is average, I'll hit the target maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10. Could use some advice on that, anyone please?
Don't look at me, my kicking is rubbish atm lol

I found the fact that I understood and analysed the game helpful more than anything. Played man on man most of the day, but could still read the play well enough to know whether to drop back, or take my man forward.

I'm sure you'll done fine, everything goes out the window once you hit the ground. Good Luck!

Well, I played. I was spudding it up, big time.

Didn't touch the ball once, but laid some really good tackles and my pressure was okay.

When I got put in the forwardline, they couldn't get it out of our opposition forwardline. When I got put in the backline, my team started dominating. That's no excuse though. Found my endurance really let me down, I tried but I just could not run at some points.

Highlights of the day was one of the chicks I was playing on when I was up forward. We were just chatting casually.

Me: So which team do you barrack for? Her: North Melbourne hahaha. You?
Me: What do you think of Majak Daw? He's actually really hot, huh. Has the best body.
Her: Um...he's my brother! hahaha
Me: Shiet

Know I can do better than I did today, I was too soft. But besides that I had fun :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back