Love this bloody club. (yes renamed it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I was born and raise Mt Druitt, then Erskine Park. I'm proud of my Western Sydney upbringing and roots.

Have always thought that as a region we are just as proud of being us as any region in the country, yes even as much as Tasmanians.

I've always believed that if the club could show the state, what we all know, that they have heart, fight, punching above their weight and passion that the fans of the sport would jump on board, like supposedly what will happen when Tassie gets a team.

There is enough Aussie rules fans in Western Sydney to fill Giants Stadium 10 times over. Yet they do the Eurosnob soccer thing of following clubs in Vic.

This club deserves respect, it deserves the following of people who are supposedly proud Western Sydney people.

I've had a rough year and a bit, life wise, as dark as I've been since I lost my parents in my early 20's, and the joy that this club has given me in a rough time I can never repay.

I'm not saying NRL or Soccer fans should start liking the sport, would never expect that. You like what you like.

But how can you be proud of being from Western Sydney loving the sport yet not love this ******* club with all the heart they show day in and day out, even when they get told by numpties that no one cares.

I have no doubt over time and investment in grass roots that we will build our fan base.
But if you think of yourself as a proud and passionate person from Western Sydney and don't support the club, then * you. You're full of s**t.

Last edited:
Please excuse the intrusion, I hope that you take what I say in the spirit it is intended. I think your finals run this year in a lot of ways is different to your previous final campaigns and has commanded respect. In some ways your club was born last night, half the Bulldogs board was going for you, which in itself is unusual, but GWS has earned respect from the competition.

Last night we didn’t look at you as the manufactured team that was given the best players for years, instead we looked at you as the team that lost two guns to Richmond last year, that is well coached, that had to deal with an unbelievably hard fixture and went down by a point in a prelim. Your boys showed guts and determination. It’s games like that, that creates culture and history for a club. When GWS wins a flag and you will, it will have been truly earned.

I was born and raise Mt Druitt, then Erskine Park. I'm proud of my Western Sydney upbringing and roots.

Have always thought that as a region we are just as proud of being us as any region in the country, yes even as much as Tasmanians.

I've always believed that if the club could show the state, what we all know, that they have heart, fight, punching above their weight and passion that the fans of the sport would jump on board, like supposedly what will happen when Tassie gets a team.

There is enough Aussie rules fans in Western Sydney to fill Giants Stadium 10 times over. Yet they do the Eurosnob soccer thing of following clubs in Vic.

This club deserves respect, it deserves the following of people who are supposedly proud Western Sydney people.

I've had a rough year and a bit, life wise, as dark as I've been since I lost my parents in my early 20's, and the joy that this club has given me in a rough time I can never repay.

I'm not saying NRL or Soccer fans should start liking the sport, would never expect that. You like what you like.

But how can you be proud of being from Western Sydney loving the sport yet not love this ******* club with all the heart they show day in and day out, even when they get told by numpties that no one cares.

I have no doubt over time and investment in grass roots that we will build our fan base.
But if you think of yourself as a proud and passionate person from Western Sydney and don't support the club, then * you. You're full of s**t.
Great passion from you, as always. You've been the backbone of this board since I joined.

Totally understand the club-as-family. It's like that for a lot of us.

Completely agree. I know it’s hard to get lovers of other codes to switch to our code, but I don’t get people who follow Aussie Rules, not supporting the local AFL team. It’s fine to initially have us as the second AFL team, but over time the efforts and hearts of our boys will win you over, and Giants will eventually become your primary team. And the children will only support the Giants as that is the AFL team they grew up with.

the children will only support the Giants as that is the AFL team they grew up with.
I'm at this point.

Although occasionally I think they even hate the Swans more than they love the Giants.

Although occasionally I think they even hate the Swans more than they love the Giants.
Close enough! :)

I was having a chat a few months back with a Giants supporter from the Hawkesbury area who played junior AFL, and he told me some of his fellow players have a feeling, or suspicion, that the Giants could potentially abandon Western Sydney and move full-time to Canberra, and that's why they're not building the rusted-on support in Western Sydney. That really struck me, because I know Colonial feels the same way.

The club may need to look at a positive strategy to alleviate those concerns. In an ideal world, at least for Western Sydney supporters, they would concentrate entirely on Western Sydney and not worry about Canberra, but the flow of income from Canberra is too much at this stage of the club's existence to ignore.

I'm not trying to lessen the importance of our Canberra supporters - they're absolutely fantastic - but it feels like the battle for hearts and minds has been won down there to a greater extent, and it's the bigger catchment that needs extra attention to catch up.

It takes 20-30 years and a tonne of money and development and real commitment. In that time you get a generation of people who support the team passionately as their first love.

It is frustrating to me that rugby league has hearts and minds when it is such a s**t product. Look at the prelims last night, that is routine in rugby league, I grew up loving it in the 80’s and I can barely watch it now.

AFL is a game for all ages, sexes and sizes. It doesn’t discriminate, you don’t have to be 6ft3 and Polynesian you can be 6ft11 or 5ft nothing. It’s safer, it’s faster and it’s better to watch live at the ground.

There are so many reasons GWS should work but the AFL need to ramp up development, let the Swans and Giants spend some money signing up the best kids. If anything, join the Academies, get both teams behind it and grab the best talent.

All these things will help but it will take time, money and patience.

I'm not trying to lessen the importance of our Canberra supporters - they're absolutely fantastic - but it feels like the battle for hearts and minds has been won down there to a greater extent, and it's the bigger catchment that needs extra attention to catch up.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said except for the above.

Going to Canberra the Giants v GCS game couple months back and seeing firsthand what it was like was an eye opener, a lot of neutral fans in their teams clothing, neither which were playing that day. The migration of people from AFL regions is quite apparent but I wouldn't say primary support for the Giants is high - support for the AFL and watching a live game, yes.

Based on some posts elsewhere on this forum it appears primary support for the Giants isn't quite as high as the attendances would lead one to believe, possibly for the same reasons you mentioned with some AFL fans in Sydney being reluctant to switch due to feeling that the Giants may end up leaving for Canberra or vice versa. Though, there was some increased support evident for the Giants among the kids of neutral fans which were dressed in Giants clothing.

It was funny in that a couple of the kids nearby were actually cheering for Gold Coast Suns to win, despite being dressed in Giants clothing :laughing:

Close enough! :)

I was having a chat a few months back with a Giants supporter from the Hawkesbury area who played junior AFL, and he told me some of his fellow players have a feeling, or suspicion, that the Giants could potentially abandon Western Sydney and move full-time to Canberra, and that's why they're not building the rusted-on support in Western Sydney. That really struck me, because I know Colonial feels the same way.

The club may need to look at a positive strategy to alleviate those concerns. In an ideal world, at least for Western Sydney supporters, they would concentrate entirely on Western Sydney and not worry about Canberra, but the flow of income from Canberra is too much at this stage of the club's existence to ignore.

I think there’s a separate thread for Giants in Canberra, and I don’t want to hijack this. However, the club, the AFL and our ACT government doesn’t see it this way. The Giants are the club for BOTH Western Sydney and Canberra, and we have two home grounds - Giants Stadium and Manuka.

I know there are some people in Western Sydney who want an exclusive Giants focus on WS, and there are some people in Canberra who want the Giants out as they think this will lead to Canberra getting its own AFL team.

The fact is that the Giants have a new 10 year agreement with the ACT government that expires the end of 2032, to annually play 3 AFL games (and give the ACT government the option to purchase a 4th if appropriate) as well as play an AFLW (and a second AFLW game if the season expands) annually. The AFL, ACT Government and our club is happy with this deal and the 21 year ongoing relationship and commitment has been good for Canberra and the club, as well as for the fans, players and members here - with almost 20% of our membership from the ACT.

It is frustrating to me that rugby league has hearts and minds when it is such a s**t product. Look at the prelims last night, that is routine in rugby league, I grew up loving it in the 80’s and I can barely watch it now.
Same. I was 50/50 Footy and NRL growing up in the NT. I played both Footy and Rugby Union for my high school. I eventually realised that NRL games all looked the same and I lost interest to the point I can't watch it. AFL took all my bandwidth as the superior, and frankly, more fun game.

There are so many reasons GWS should work but the AFL need to ramp up development, let the Swans and Giants spend some money signing up the best kids. If anything, join the Academies, get both teams behind it and grab the best talent.
Yep. RL clubs sign on every teenager with ability they can. ARU puts all their future talent into posh schools with everything laid out. The Eddie Maguire types made us waste 10 years of developing local talent because of Vic-centric paranoia. Hopefully Dillon can realise this before we waste more time.

There is supposedly a plan in front of the AFL right now to not have WS kids bid on.
At the moment rugby, league, football, cricket even basketball can offer contracts to young kids giving them a future, AFL can’t.
If this new deal goes through then the Giants, and I would say the Swans, would be able to get in the from foot and even playing field at a grassroots level.
The Vics will implode though. Can’t have an advantage up here, only Vics can have advantages, sorry traditions.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said except for the above.

Going to Canberra the Giants v GCS game couple months back and seeing firsthand what it was like was an eye opener, a lot of neutral fans in their teams clothing, neither which were playing that day. The migration of people from AFL regions is quite apparent but I wouldn't say primary support for the Giants is high - support for the AFL and watching a live game, yes.
Thanks for the up-to-date info! I haven't been to a game at Manuka in several years (been living in Tasmania for a few years) so wasn't sure what the crowd split was like in Canberra these days.

I think there’s a separate thread for Giants in Canberra, and I don’t want to hijack this. However, the club, the AFL and our ACT government doesn’t see it this way. The Giants are the club for BOTH Western Sydney and Canberra, and we have two home grounds - Giants Stadium and Manuka.

I know there are some people in Western Sydney who want an exclusive Giants focus on WS, and there are some people in Canberra who want the Giants out as they think this will lead to Canberra getting its own AFL team.

The fact is that the Giants have a new 10 year agreement with the ACT government that expires the end of 2032, to annually play 3 AFL games (and give the ACT government the option to purchase a 4th if appropriate) as well as play an AFLW (and a second AFLW game if the season expands) annually. The AFL, ACT Government and our club is happy with this deal and the 21 year ongoing relationship and commitment has been good for Canberra and the club, as well as for the fans, players and members here - with almost 20% of our membership from the ACT.
I absolutely agree with everything you've said - Canberra is our home just as much as Western Sydney, it's been good to us from a crowd perspective and a sponsorship perspective (if that's how we classify the deal with the ACT Government). I love going down to Canberra games!

The only problem with the dual-region setup is that, as you point out, it causes unease for some people (I didn't realise there was still a push by some Canberrans for a stand-alone team - very interesting), and that's something the club will have to manage if it wants to maximise the number of won-over prospective fans in both regions. We're the only team that has had the dual-region model baked in from the beginning (if you don't count Gold Coast's brief flirtation with Cairns), so I wonder if it needs to be handled differently from, say, a North or Hawthorn, where the taking of games to other markets only came along relatively late in the club's existence. That's just me thinking out loud, though.

There is supposedly a plan in front of the AFL right now to not have WS kids bid on.
At the moment rugby, league, football, cricket even basketball can offer contracts to young kids giving them a future, AFL can’t.
If this new deal goes through then the Giants, and I would say the Swans, would be able to get in the from foot and even playing field at a grassroots level.
The Vics will implode though. Can’t have an advantage up here, only Vics can have advantages, sorry traditions.
I think it’s a great idea for us expansion clubs. But the VFL will not allow it and Eddie will be choking on his dinner if he hears about this sensible and appropriate idea!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great passion from you, as always. You've been the backbone of this board since I joined.

Totally understand the club-as-family. It's like that for a lot of us.
We are all passionate in this board mate having to deal with some of the traditionalists and to still be around. We have lost allot of good ones on this board over the years, but thankfully have kept allot as well.

They have created a bit of a monster on the Gold Coast, their Academy took a bit of time to get going but is starting to churn out great local talent. You watch the “Sky is falling” calls!!

Thanks for the up-to-date info! I haven't been to a game at Manuka in several years (been living in Tasmania for a few years) so wasn't sure what the crowd split was like in Canberra these days.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said - Canberra is our home just as much as Western Sydney, it's been good to us from a crowd perspective and a sponsorship perspective (if that's how we classify the deal with the ACT Government). I love going down to Canberra games!

The only problem with the dual-region setup is that, as you point out, it causes unease for some people (I didn't realise there was still a push by some Canberrans for a stand-alone team - very interesting), and that's something the club will have to manage if it wants to maximise the number of won-over prospective fans in both regions. We're the only team that has had the dual-region model baked in from the beginning (if you don't count Gold Coast's brief flirtation with Cairns), so I wonder if it needs to be handled differently from, say, a North or Hawthorn, where the taking of games to other markets only came along relatively late in the club's existence. That's just me thinking out loud, though.
We can take it to the other thread about Giants playing in Canberra, but the detail of the new 10 year deal between the Giants, ACT Government and the AFL is below. It’s more than a sponsorship and is a continuation of the 21 year relationship between the club and Canberra (the longest relationship between an AFL team and our Territory, easily eclipsing the previous North Melbourne deal of 2002-2006). The Giants are the AFL club for Canberra

They have created a bit of a monster on the Gold Coast, their Academy took a bit of time to get going but is starting to churn out great local talent. You watch the “Sky is falling” calls!!
Absolutely - VFL focussed AFL just can’t stomach interstate success. The AFL (VFL) were panic stricken when interstate clubs won the premiership between 2001-2006, and there was a 3rd consecutive grand final where both teams were from interstate. However since then only the Swans (2012) and West Coast (2018) have won premierships, and there is nothing done except smug satisfaction that Victoria is in its rightful place at the top. I really want Brisbane to stick it to Carlton and Collingwood this year

Absolutely - VFL focussed AFL just can’t stomach interstate success. The AFL (VFL) were panic stricken when interstate clubs won the premiership between 2001-2006, and there was a 3rd consecutive grand final where both teams were from interstate. However since then only the Swans (2012) and West Coast (2018) have won premierships, and there is nothing done except smug satisfaction that Victoria is in its rightful place at the top. I really want Brisbane to stick it to Carlton and Collingwood this year
There is still not even the most ardent VFL fan that can adequately explain the Next Generation Academy as anything other than a rort.

Blokes like Quaynor and Owens have held a footy since they could walk shoved into an Academy because they qualify…at least they made it harder this year but the damage is done.

Imagine 60%+ of draftable talent, 95% fan support, familial proximity and comfort, noise of affirmation advantage with officialdom, big games at home, Father/Son opportunity….just look at last night!

And they still had to bitch about the Academies and concoct an opportunistic version of their own! They are unreal.

Last edited:
Great thread mate. It's hard to put into words how much I love this footy club - I can't wait for the day when GS is consistently rocking with 15K+ crowds with a strong home bias.

My fiance is Korean and was only introduced to the game a few years ago but she is now a die-hard Giants fan (who even knows most of the rules) too. She especially loves Josh Kelly (for his skills, not his looks... I'm sure).

I also love the Canberra string to our bow and getting down there for a couple of games a year.

Hey mate. I’m just catching up on some of these threads. Been a crazy couple of weeks.

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear you have been having a rough time. I hope you have a good support network around you, and that you know where else to reach out if you need to ?

Secondly, your post is something that causes me a great amount of frustration on a weekly basis. I live is the Wollondilly shire, which is very west I guess lol. And have often thought about the lack of bums on seats.

My daughter’s school had a fair a couple of weeks ago and I was blown away how many giants jumpers and hats were there. On young kids too. This gave me hope.

However with non NRL sports this is always a challenge out here. I am also a member of the Macarthur Bulls A-league team. They put another team in Western Sydney as there is a massive European and middle eastern contingent in Western Sydney from Soccer nations. So they wanted to tap into that. And the Bulls get about 4 people at a home game at Campbelltown.

I’m almost certain that the distance doesn’t help with Giants stadium though: my daughter doesn’t come with me as much these days because when we catch the train, it’s about 1hr 20 mins, with a line change, and then walk all the way down to the sprint platform at Lidcombe. And then the same on the way back. Especially for a night game, the 3 hours travel makes it tough for Kids.

Not sure what the answer is. Hope it gets better

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey mate. I’m just catching up on some of these threads. Been a crazy couple of weeks.

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear you have been having a rough time. I hope you have a good support network around you, and that you know where else to reach out if you need to ?

Secondly, your post is something that causes me a great amount of frustration on a weekly basis. I live is the Wollondilly shire, which is very west I guess lol. And have often thought about the lack of bums on seats.

My daughter’s school had a fair a couple of weeks ago and I was blown away how many giants jumpers and hats were there. On young kids too. This gave me hope.

However with non NRL sports this is always a challenge out here. I am also a member of the Macarthur Bulls A-league team. They put another team in Western Sydney as there is a massive European and middle eastern contingent in Western Sydney from Soccer nations. So they wanted to tap into that. And the Bulls get about 4 people at a home game at Campbelltown.

I’m almost certain that the distance doesn’t help with Giants stadium though: my daughter doesn’t come with me as much these days because when we catch the train, it’s about 1hr 20 mins, with a line change, and then walk all the way down to the sprint platform at Lidcombe. And then the same on the way back. Especially for a night game, the 3 hours travel makes it tough for Kids.

Not sure what the answer is. Hope it gets better

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks mate. Got a better half and an 8 year old little girl both keeping me on the straight and narrow. Will get there.

I don't think its distance, everyone, especially in Western Sydney, is either close or far away from a part of a map.
The transport options are great, best in Sydney, especially with the supposed light rail coming through.

I do think there is a lack of "öwnership" felt by those who follow the sport or are part of the grassroot areas in Western Sydney.

I come in peace! I have a great grandson who wants to be a giant,his parents and grandparents all kangas.I asked him what he would like for Christmas and it is a giants jumper,I have searched everywhere to get a youths sml,or a kids size 10.
Not available at giants store or Melbourne,would anyone know of a store in Sydney that may still have stock.Appreciate any help...

I come in peace! I have a great grandson who wants to be a giant, his parents and grandparents all kangas. I asked him what he would like for Christmas and it is a giants jumper, I have searched everywhere to get a youths sml,or a kids size 10.
Not available at giants store or Melbourne, would anyone know of a store in Sydney that may still have stock. Appreciate any help...
Hi there, no worries, you're welcome with such a query.

Have you tried the AFL shop, if you do online shopping? I had a quick search online and found they have kids' jumpers including size 10 in stock:

Otherwise, what about the Giants Shop? Their youth sizes seem to be just S, L & XL (presumably medium sold out) - you might be able to call them to determine what is closest to a size 10.

If you want to shop in person, then did you try Rebel Sport? If not in stock, I would have thought that they would be willing to get one brought in (even from interstate).

Best of luck with the search, it's nice to hear of someone enjoying the Orange Team's colours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back