Club History Luck (#foreverfisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dom Barry was another that I thought would show some promise once he had a few games behind him. He came across as steak knives in the Hogan trade. He just sort of said "nah I'm going home".
I don't blame him to be honest but would be interesting to see what he would've developed into had he come into a better organised club and had genuine development.

Dom Barry was another that I thought would show some promise once he had a few games behind him. He came across as steak knives in the Hogan trade. He just sort of said "nah I'm going home".
I don't blame him to be honest but would be interesting to see what he would've developed into had he come into a better organised club and had genuine development.

I'm assuming you watched him at Casey because he showed SFA at AFL level.

The year we sponsored him on here I won the poster signed by him, still have it around somewhere. Yeh it's too bad he didn't become a superstar, I'd be rich as kings!

The year we sponsored him on here I won the poster signed by him, still have it around somewhere. Yeh it's too bad he didn't become a superstar, I'd be rich as kings!
Picked up by Glenelg this year. Still handy but he's not cracking back in.

NEAFL champ.
I was actually disappointed with how he fared in the NEAFL. He did some nice things, but I wouldn't have put him in a NEAFL rep side or anything. He wouldn't be alone with ex AFL listed players that never reached great heights in State League footy, but I probably wanted him to more to make me feel better about our picking him in the first place.

Neeld had a tough job and he was 100% the wrong guy to take it. The stories of him seperating the aboriginal lads to speak to them specially is just a mindblowingly amateur move in any management capacity in any organisation. David Brent stuff.
That story of him only speaking to the Aboriginal players on our list as a group and not individually was a false allegation I'm pretty sure. But still he obviously wasn't cut out for the top job with us.

We don't need these kinds of threads. We all know where we've come from. Let's focus on the future. The wheel always turns full circle.

All this plus don't forget, Peter Jackson. Has had a hand in turning every part of our club around. Despite a few setbacks along the way, he just keeps moving this club forward. It's not a coincidence or good luck, he is just obviously very good at what he does.
True that. Left out PJ who's the other guy who's had an amazing effect on our club well spotted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry was far too soft. He made Watts look like an inside mid.
We don't need these kinds of threads. We all know where we've come from. Let's focus on the future. The wheel always turns full circle.
But we do need the Toump thread?! We have had an awful decade but I think we shouldn't put it all at our own feet. Bottoming out in the expansion era was just awful luck. Prendergast, Neeld and Schwabb were bad recruiting. Thankfully we seem to have guns in our key roles now with PJ, Taylor, McCartney and Goodwin.

Nah, it's time to let the Toump thread drift off into history

The Toump thread is one of those rare things that will go into a time capsule to be shot into space to promote understanding and communication throughout the universe. It's our contribution to the cosmos.

The Toump thread is one of those rare things that will go into a time capsule to be shot into space to promote understanding and communication throughout the universe. It's our contribution to the cosmos.
True, but it's time to lock that time capsule and press the launch button.

Picked up by Glenelg this year. Still handy but he's not cracking back in.
Roos' argument for lifting the draft age has merit when it comes to stuff like this. Gave up a golden chance to actually get games and develop in 2015 due to homesickness, and ends up living in Adelaide on nothing money a few years later. Maybe guys do need a year between school and footy, not to physically develop but to have a year at work and decide what it is that they really want.

And there is also the veil of death that has hung over our Club since Bali...
Rubbish, mate. The veil of negativity is only there when we want it to be.

Jesse's diagnosis is his bad luck, really.

Barry was far too soft. He made Watts look like an inside mid.
Barry was a skinny, homesick aboriginal kid under Mark Neeld's guidance.
I'd be soft too running out there at 70 something kilos with little direction.

Also Watts isn't soft. Anybody that suggests that would undoubtedly be ragdolled by him. Only he wouldn't do that because he's a nice lad. Soft he is not.

Roos' argument for lifting the draft age has merit when it comes to stuff like this. Gave up a golden chance to actually get games and develop in 2015 due to homesickness, and ends up living in Adelaide on nothing money a few years later. Maybe guys do need a year between school and footy, not to physically develop but to have a year at work and decide what it is that they really want.
Cyril also needs a gap year or see ya later hawks as he'll be playing for the Tiwi bombers next season.

I think a fair few of those players listed were average players regardless of injuries. I think we were unlucky with the scully situation, nobody anticipated gws enticing young guns of the competition like scully ward and davis ect though I think they should have targeted martin instead. The mark neeld situation is an interesting point. It makes you think that maybe dean Bailey was a better coach in retrospect, he got some great results with the list he had then Neeld came along and we could barely score more than 5 goals a game. I think the problem with the bailey era was the lack of experienced players in the team. We went too hard at just playing the kids. Having said all that that Bailey team may of been ok but wouldn't have had any impact in finals, just filled the numbers if they made it.
Couldn't agree more. In finals we'd be a West Coast, capable of playing decent footy but never a chance at the premiership. Our 2010 team was exciting, Davey Bennell Jetta Bail providing great run and Jurrah Woneamirri + Green kicking 55 up forward. Finally started to ease out guys like Miller and Bate who clearly weren't good enough at AFL level. But a lot of these guys would've gone missing in finals IMO. We sorely missed Cam Bruce and JMac the season after, so quite grateful we have Nate and Lewis to help this season. Even though we've lot some close ones, we haven't been blown out yet at any point in any game this year and I think you can attribute that to the composure of the veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back