Opinion Majority of Flag Winning Team has gone Backwards in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone willing to march on the club next week if we lose? We could turn up during training and superglue our hands to the goal posts and centre square, along with any footballs we find. Or superglue yourself to the player whose form most disappoints you and get right in their face with your abuse and advice.
Revolution brings change - and without kidnap and torture there is no Revolution.

Yep, we’ve started the season slowly, but for mine we always had a small window until age caught up to our veterans. Beat Geelong in the 2022 QF and things may have fallen our way that year too. Stretching the window to a third year was always going to be hard never mind the fixture (early return, travel, back to back games…).

That said it really is a first world problem. I’m bloody ecstatic that we won the flag and it’s great this group got one. Fans of some clubs can’t say they’ve seen that in their lifetime.

After round seven we’re now on 3 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw

After round 7:

2014: 5 wins 2 losses
2015: 4 wins, 3 losses
2016: 2 wins, 5 losses
2017: 2 wins 5 losses
2018: 4 wins, 3 losses
2019: 4 wins 3 losses
2020: 4 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw
2021: 1 win, 6 losses
2022: 4 wins 3 losses
2023: 6 wins, 1 loss

After round seven we’re now on 3 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw

After round 7:

2014: 5 wins 2 losses
2015: 4 wins, 3 losses
2016: 2 wins, 5 losses
2017: 2 wins 5 losses
2018: 4 wins, 3 losses
2019: 4 wins 3 losses
2020: 4 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw
2021: 1 win, 6 losses
2022: 4 wins 3 losses
2023: 6 wins, 1 loss
2 pts behind our 2018 and 2022 teams and we are in “merge the club” territory 😂

I think you’ll find the draw really opens up for us over the next 6-8 weeks.
Slow start but we are beginning to play some good football and if we can turn up and beat the blues we are relatively well placed.
The slow start can be put down to a few factors, the draw was terrible and was only a benefit to the AFL lining their pockets.
Nathan Murphy, it’s a big loss and the back line have taken time to adjust, you can see over the last couple of weeks they are beginning to adjust with Murph there.
Little bit of content from the senior players, they achieved the ultimate and have taken some time to get going, with a few still struggling! Jack Crisp, Steele!

We have a coach who,in his words, is a winner! He and his assistants will get the club going, they have a goal of 14 wins, back them in then finals it’s game on!

Slow start but we are beginning to play some good football and if we can turn up and beat the blues we are relatively well placed.
The slow start can be put down to a few factors, the draw was terrible and was only a benefit to the AFL lining their pockets.
Nathan Murphy, it’s a big loss and the back line have taken time to adjust, you can see over the last couple of weeks they are beginning to adjust with Murph there.
Little bit of content from the senior players, they achieved the ultimate and have taken some time to get going, with a few still struggling! Jack Crisp, Steele!

We have a coach who,in his words, is a winner! He and his assistants will get the club going, they have a goal of 14 wins, back them in then finals it’s game on!
Do you really think they are adjusting to not having Murphy? Certainly not Frampton who has not been as effective the last 2 weeks as earlier in the season.

I don't think 'adjust' is the right word to describe the situation anyway. There is no one on the list with the same defensive capabilities as Murphy. I said earlier in the season that we are not going to be serious premiership contenders with both him and McStay out of the team and see no reason to change my assessment of our chances.

Wait till we play Carlton before deciding that the defence has 'adjusted' to a post-Murphy existence.

Do you really think they are adjusting to not having Murphy? Certainly not Frampton who has not been as effective the last 2 weeks as earlier in the season.

I don't think 'adjust' is the right word to describe the situation anyway. There is no one on the list with the same defensive capabilities as Murphy. I said earlier in the season that we are not going to be serious premiership contenders with both him and McStay out of the team and see no reason to change my assessment of our chances.

Wait till we play Carlton before deciding that the defence has 'adjusted' to a post-Murphy existence.
Was Murphy really that important. 1 on 1 he was very good but when he had the ball, it was always a concern. Not the best disposer or decision maker when it came to the rest of his game. He was very important for our structures and seemed to understand them very well. Our problem isn't Murphy being out, it's all on the midfield. We don't bat as deep this year due to an ageing midfield. If we can get someone to step up somehow, vthe defence will look impregnable again

Yep, Murphy is a massive loss.

Was Murphy really that important. 1 on 1 he was very good but when he had the ball, it was always a concern. Not the best disposer or decision maker when it came to the rest of his game. He was very important for our structures and seemed to understand them very well. Our problem isn't Murphy being out, it's all on the midfield. We don't bat as deep this year due to an ageing midfield. If we can get someone to step up somehow, vthe defence will look impregnable again
Our midfield is the major problem, but when we are up against the very best teams, the ones we would be competing against to make top 4, the lack of Murphy and McStay will be noticeable. I cannot at all agree with your playing down of Murphy's worth to the team and defence. He played a crucial role in limiting the effectiveness of the opposition's most dangerous forward. A few errant kicks don't detract from the defensive mindset he brought to the team.

The 24/7 news cycle necessitates people saying and writing things; most of it can be ignored. Celebrity experts have to have a significant take on every game. Jake Niall at The Age is better than most, but even he has jumped on the 'old boys' like Sidey being well below par. Fair enough, Sidey had a poor game for sure, but Pendles, Mitchell and Howe have more than held their own.

Not many premiership players have actually improved or remained at the desired level, but most of them are not the old brigade. I keep holding up Beau McCreery as an under performer and get shot down, but he is one bloke who needs to step up. Ditto Jordan De Goey who is well below his 2023 form.

On Anzac Day, Sidey was below his best, but so were DeGoey, Quaynor, WHE, McCreery, Hill, Crisp and Cox. WHE was best afield the week before and Bobby was electric too. Bobby was very quiet on Anzac Day.

The old legs look slower and the decision making less laser-like, when the young stars go missing.

Instead of lamenting the lack of talent pushing up from the VFL, we ought to be looking for improvement from our big bodied mids. Carmichael, McInnes and Finlay Macrae may make it and prove me wrong, but we need big lifts from our proven champs to really challenge.

Was Amazing we won the Flag last year and was Well Deserved but lot of Players from the Flag Team has gone Backwards on there last years Form at AFL Level

Only Players I think have Played better are Frampton and Noble. Though Frampton last 2 Games not been as good

Nick and Josh Daicos and Darcy Moore started slow but since the Bye they playing lot Better.

The Rest I feel playing worse then they did last Season
We have an old list, fresh off a premiership. It’s not abnormal, they have time to correct. We are seeing bits and pieces of it come together. We just need to
Qualify for finals and our big game performers will come good.

We just need to qualify. Preferably 5th or 6th, if we can't sneak 4th. Our team is finals experienced . I'll back us to snag 4 on the trot at the pointy end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draw wise our problem is the 50:50 games we have left

2x Carl
2x Melb
1x Cats
1 x GC away
1x Freo away
1x Syd away
??? 1x Lions home

We can afford to drop 3 of those max, assuming we win all the others which includes Dogs, Ess among others, if we want to finish top 4 and be a real flag threat. So we have to be close to best team in the comp from here to make top 4. Fly the winner can be that I hope.

Draw wise our problem is the 50:50 games we have left

2x Carl
2x Melb
1x Cats
1 x GC away
1x Freo away
1x Syd away
??? 1x Lions home

We can afford to drop 3 of those max, assuming we win all the others which includes Dogs, Ess among others, if we want to finish top 4 and be a real flag threat. So we have to be close to best team in the comp from here to make top 4. Fly the winner can be that I hope.
I think both GWS and Carlton came from something like 4 - 8 to make the top 4 last year. It's going to take a similar effort from us

I think both GWS and Carlton came from something like 4 - 8 to make the top 4 last year. It's going to take a similar effort from us
They finished the season after finals top 4, which will happen for teams who don't finish top for after H&A not uncommonly, especially with the finals bye. They were not top 4 after H&A.

For premierships, since 2000 when we started the current system, only the Dogs in 2016, have won without finishing in the top 3 after H&A. If you want a flag you pretty much have to be top 4 after the H&A.

They finished the season after finals top 4, which will happen for teams who don't finish top for after H&A not uncommonly, especially with the finals bye. They were not top 4 after H&A.

For premierships, since 2000 when we started the current system, only the Dogs in 2016, have won without finishing in the top 3 after H&A. If you want a flag you pretty much have to be top 4 after the H&A.
I thought the pre-finals bye negated the history around top 4 v top 8?

I thought the pre-finals bye negated the history around top 4 v top 8?
It has taken away the advantage the winners of the QFs had. It has lead to one team outside the top 4 winning the flag which almost certainly wouldn't have happened otherwise. Last year GWS and Carlton pushed the QF winners in their respective PFs which was no doubt helped by them have a bye and the QF winners having a 2nd bye they didn't need.

So far however its still top 4 who win almost all the flags, prior to 2016 it would have been simply top 4 win ALL the flags.

Just a reminder that GWS were 4 and 8 after round 12 and made the top 4. I think Carlton done something similar but who cares

They didn’t. They were 7th at the end of the home and away season. But had a couple good finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s trickier to predict now due to the draw with Essendon. The comp is pretty tight at the top, other than Geelong at present, and the likelihood of a few teams being equal on points means we may jump over 2 or 3 at a time or conversely fall below 2or 3 at a time. Interesting times ahead with the usual form slumps, injuries, upsets unpredictable. Our coach will be emphasising opportunities over difficulties/problems and when you take that approach you tend not to emphasise or be influenced by historical stats. At the moment everything is still possible, top 4, top 8, miss finals, same as round zero.

I have 9 more wins on current form. However we aren't dissimilar to 2022 except some key players are nearing the end. It's possible to get on a run again and win 6 of 8.

The next 8 weeks will tell where we are. Split this 4-4 and we aren't going to be at the pointy end of the ladder and a chance to miss finals all together.

quaynor crisp Sidebottom mcreery cox have been underwhelming ..Our A graders haven't been as sharp either ..JDG has been good but his turnovers hugely costly .Moore started slowly but getting better ..Nick and Cameron have been excellent also

Yep, we’ve started the season slowly, but for mine we always had a small window until age caught up to our veterans. Beat Geelong in the 2022 QF and things may have fallen our way that year too. Stretching the window to a third year was always going to be hard never mind the fixture (early return, travel, back to back games…).

That said it really is a first world problem. I’m bloody ecstatic that we won the flag and it’s great this group got one. Fans of some clubs can’t say they’ve seen that in their lifetime.
Lot better not getting a Flag

The 2022 qualifying final is a complete travesty
Better team lost that day to geelong who had 26 men
Should have had the rest and played banged up Brisbane at the g in prelim
So easily could have been back to back last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back