Autopsy Making Their Mark - Amazon Prime AFL Documentary

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Not sure if anyone is watching or has watched, you can watch it via a free 30 day trial of amazon Prime

Very good insight so far, especially into Cogs' pysche and lack of confidence throughout, also very interesting to see Leon interacting with the players as a group and individually, almost concerning.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure if anyone is watching or has watched, you can watch it via a free 30 day trial of amazon Prime

Very good insight so far, especially into Cogs' pysche and lack of confidence throughout, also very interesting to see Leon interacting with the players as a group and individually, almost concerning.
Concerning?

Will watch it this weekend, been looking fwd to it

Sorry to intrude, but I saw it as concerning, too. I thought the treatment of Cogs was patronising and disrespectful. Cogs first year as captain reminded me a lot of Cotchin’s first years; he was lost and unsure of himself as a leader trying to be someone he wasn’t but thought he needed to be. He will grow into as good a captain as he is player.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Surprised that GWS heirarchy actually let this go ahead, as it doesn't reflect well on Cameron at all. Between Shaw's commentary and Cogs' absolutely demoralized appearance, it's almost like they want him to get fired

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
So just finished up, spoilers but we didn't do too well :tearsofjoy:

I seriously don't see why anyone would want to stick around GWS at times during this, Leon seriously sucks the life out of every conversation, I was getting demotivated just watching it and he's barely on screen in comparison to others. The comparison to when Hayes is on screen talking one on one with Cogs there's such a noticeable difference between their approaches and how Cogs is responding

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Geez spoiler tags [mention]PM Bangers [/mention]

Half way through the 2nd episode.

So far Leon seems ok. But he does seem rather, umm, dull? Though I’ve seen the trailers with him going off so I guess there’s the passion we all wanted.

Cogs just looks like a guy out of his wheel house. 1st year Captain after a very long layoff when covid strikes.
Think he will be better this year.

Remember Amazon would of been picking the moments/narrative that would get the most discussion. We always get told how great he is as a man manager as, for the most part, the players we want stay and for less than what’s on offer. His strategies on the other hand....

Geez spoiler tags [mention]PM Bangers [/mention]

Half way through the 2nd episode.

So far Leon seems ok. But he does seem rather, umm, dull? Though I’ve seen the trailers with him going off so I guess there’s the passion we all wanted.

Cogs just looks like a guy out of his wheel house. 1st year Captain after a very long layoff when covid strikes.
Think he will be better this year.

Remember Amazon would of been picking the moments/narrative that would get the most discussion. We always get told how great he is as a man manager as, for the most part, the players we want stay and for less than what’s on offer. His strategies on the other hand....

The notion of Leon being a good man manger has always been inferred or hearsay though hasn't it? I was also lead to believe he was a decent man manager. I think this is really the first time that we're seeing first hand what Leon is like at managing his players and the way he's approaching his communication with Cogs in this doco probably doesn't do him any favours.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The notion of Leon being a good man manger has always been hearsay though hasn't it? I was also lead to believe he was a decent man manager. I think this is really the first time that we're seeing first hand what Leon is like at managing his players and the way he's approaching his communication with Cogs in this doco probably doesn't do him any favours.

Yeah, found it strange that we know all this and can see all this through the doco. Surely if he was as bad as it makes him out the players, especially the stars, would of approached Matthews and Shepherd about it and he wouldn’t of gotten an extension.

I mean we had no one wanting out who is under contract, surely an exodus would of happened from those stars were not happy.

Let’s remember I’m not over the moon about Leon either, so not defending him in anyway. Just doesn’t add up.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ok watched the whole thing now.

- I must be missing something as I though Leon was patient, passionate and got things across.
Still #LeonOut

- Cogs went no worse than any other 1st year Captain that would of had the same circumstances happen to him.

Both Captain and Coach obviously care about the club.

- I would of rather we just had the Richmond and Essendon game sections on a loop but.....

- we looked over it rightly or wrongly by the end there.

2021 will be different.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Think of the target audience here... Leon doesn't get a great portrayal but doesn't that just buy into the narrative that he has the keys to the car but cannot drive it? I reckon the storyline (like MAFS) is manufactured and edited to reflect what the viewer wants....

Nobody wants to see LC doing a great job, it doesn't make a headline.

That said I really enjoyed the behind the scenes footage of Richmond and Carlton too

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Only watched the first two episodes so far but it seems like Leon main go at motivating players is either saying the other mob don't rate you. Or after just one loss goes off at the players for being useless so he doesn't seem to have many tools to motivate players. Maybe he will demonstrate more as I watch more of the series.

On cogs he reminds me of a school teacher straight out uni trying to find his feet. Also at times was getting a Brett Kirk special comments vibe to how he was presenting to the players in a large group setting. But does come across better with smaller groups or one on one.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I think we all remember the debacle loss at Giants Stadium vs North last year

I almost fell off my chair when we saw the footage of Leon spraying the mids in the dressing room post-match.

In that 30 seconds of footage you can see exactly why so many of the young mids walked at the end of the year.

Boy do we need a win to start 2021 this weekend and reset the shambles of 2020.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
A few additional random Amazon series related thoughts.

I think the Captaincy switch was bungled, and it shows in this series. I would have liked to see a Phil-Cogs Co-Captain model as a transition phase.

Re the mids debacle - how much of that was Lenny vs Leon? I think we’re about to find out on field in 2021.

Re Leon - he has earned the right to the benefit of the doubt to start 2021. However, if we’re worse than 3 and 3 after six rounds then I think it’s time to get creative and appoint Stevie J as the interim head coach for the remainder of 2021.

On a lighter note, is there any danger Adam Simpson could complete a single sentence without an f-bomb?

A few additional random Amazon series related thoughts.

I think the Captaincy switch was bungled, and it shows in this series. I would have liked to see a Phil-Cogs Co-Captain model as a transition phase.

Re the mids debacle - how much of that was Lenny vs Leon? I think we’re about to find out on field in 2021.

Re Leon - he has earned the right to the benefit of the doubt to start 2021. However, if we’re worse than 3 and 3 after six rounds then I think it’s time to get creative and appoint Stevie J as the interim head coach for the remainder of 2021.

On a lighter note, is there any danger Adam Simpson could complete a single sentence without an f-bomb?

Agreed on the captaincy. Really wish Cogs was more open to sharing captaincy, he clearly looks out of his depth. It feels like he's been reading leadership and self-help type books and regurgitates things from them. Nothing wrong with that but I'm finding the authenticity just doesn't come through when he's addressing the group.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
On our board, there's debate about this docco. and it's rather negative portrayal of Leon C. and Coniglio s captaincy.
Combined with the departure of Jeremy Cameron and Zac Williams to Carlton.
Combined with the Giants drop down the ladder. Some are predicting the end of the giants basically.
Opinions?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
On our board, there's debate about this docco. and it's rather negative portrayal of Leon C. and Coniglio s captaincy.
Combined with the departure of Jeremy Cameron and Zac Williams to Carlton.
Combined with the Giants drop down the ladder. Some are predicting the end of the giants basically.
Opinions?

If that were true we would have had quite a few requests for trade by contracted players.

As it is only uncontracted players left.

Williams and Corr left for massive dollars
Caldwell and Hately left for opportunity mixed with go home.
Langdon and Cameron for family concerns.

I think we had a total of 20mins of a whole season where the narrative was last years Grand finalists didn’t make the finals and so we got the coverage that made it look the best for tv.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Ok watched the whole thing now.

- I must be missing something as I though Leon was patient, passionate and got things across.
Still #LeonOut

- Cogs went no worse than any other 1st year Captain that would of had the same circumstances happen to him.

Both Captain and Coach obviously care about the club.

- I would of rather we just had the Richmond and Essendon game sections on a loop but.....

- we looked over it rightly or wrongly by the end there.

2021 will be different.

GG I’m watching it now. I agree with you. I’m surprised with the comments so far. I personally was bloody proud to see Leon swearing his head off with fingers in players faces when it was warranted.

We always say he is soft and “cuddles” well this is showing he is not !

I’m loving this doco. What an insight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
If that were true we would have had quite a few requests for trade by contracted players.

As it is only uncontracted players left.

Williams and Corr left for massive dollars
Caldwell and Hately left for opportunity mixed with go home.
Langdon and Cameron for family concerns.

I think we had a total of 20mins of a whole season where the narrative was last years Grand finalists didn’t make the finals and so we got the coverage that made it look the best for tv.
Good to hear. Always liked Leon as a player. One more question. Do you still have the list to get back to a grand final?

Last edited:

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Just watched it and must admit the bit I was most fascinated by was the leadership issues at the Giants, which is why I’ve lobbed here. I felt for Cogs, who seems to have a lot of natural leadership qualities but was trying a bit too hard, which is understandable. Thought Cameron came across as having no warmth or care for his players, and putting too much on Cogs, maybe to take the heat off himself. I found it really touching when Shaw went to the coaches to tell them not to drop Cogs. Seeing behind the scenes, strikes me now it was a terrible move by Leon to drop him. Not saying all coaches should be warm and cuddly and knock around blokes like Stewey Dew, but I thought Nicks at Adelaide came across as quite hard but very fair and measured and authentic and there for his players, in a way that Leon wasn’t. Something about Leon struck me as a bit off - he seems to not have much empathy or understanding of his players. Came to see what Giants fans thought and looks like there are mixed opinions.

what do Giants fans think of dropping Cogs after having seen the doco?

Back