Delisted Marco Paparone (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Paparone to return to footy

Marco Paparone will play in the NEAFL on Saturday in his return from a persistent hamstring injury that has plagued the defender since last season.

"He's come off a long 6-7 month rehabilitation with his hamstring tendon," said Brisbane Lions Head of Medical Peter Blanch.

"He's trained really hard and we're looking forward to seeing him back playing this weekend."

He is a player that i always thought might really suit a Fagan game plan. With his run and endurance.
The hunting in packs and tackling, i am not sure about.

Very impressive that be hit his P.B on the track after coming off this injury. Not often you go through an injury like this and come out just as good or better. Very happy for him. I can see him being best 15 before the year is out, playing as a wingman who drifts forward/back whenever needed. Will be quite valuable.

His development seems to have stalled massively. Weird body shape where he's tall and thin but doesn't have the skills (that kick'd make you cringe) to be a winger or a tall rover but isn't bulky or rough enough to be a key position player.

His development seems to have stalled massively. Weird body shape where he's tall and thin but doesn't have the skills (that kick'd make you cringe) to be a winger or a tall rover but isn't bulky or rough enough to be a key position player.

I don't think his development has stalled by any fault of his own since he was sidelined for 8 months with injury. His first game back was two weeks ago.

In 2015 he averaged 19 disposals (at 76% DE) along with 6 marks/4 intercepts a game - this was primarily from being moved from the forward line to defense for the first time in his career. 2016 was a write off due to injury, but he showed a lot (and finished top 10 b&f).

His first game back in the NEAFL he got 14 disposals/8 marks playing as a defender. He also kept his opponent (who kicked 6 goals the week before) to 1 goal.

He will be best 22 when he is match fit.

Yeah his 2015 was quite good. 2016 was affected be injury and the team struggling.

I bet if he said he wanted to return to WA your mob would put their hand up pretty darn quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet if he said he wanted to return to WA your mob would put their hand up pretty darn quickly.
Have you seen Freo's recruitment though?

I didn't come in to start a fight, just sort of followed his progress. But it seems he hasn't really grabbed it and I still don't know what his go is in the AFL.

Have you seen Freo's recruitment though?

I didn't come in to start a fight, just sort of followed his progress. But it seems he hasn't really grabbed it and I still don't know what his go is in the AFL.

No offense, but based off your comments I really don't see how you've tracked his career.

Coaches Wrap: Round 7

Marco Paparone made a confident return to senior football on the weekend, collecting 28 disposals in his 50th career game.

The 22-year-old returned against the Swans from a persistent hamstring injury that had plagued the defender since last season.

Before Sunday’s match, Paparone’s last senior game was Round 13, 2016 against the West Coast Eagles.

“It was really pleasing to see Marco come in for his first game – especially after 11 months (out with injury),” assistant coach Jed Adcock told LionsTV in this week’s Coaches Wrap.

“It was a pretty interrupted preseason but then come the start of the year he started to get his body right and he’s been able to play some really consistent footy through the NEAFL and got his opportunity at the AFL level on the weekend.”

Adcock said Paparone provided important run off half back.

“He adds a lot of run to our team, he’s a real long, high runner which is really important for the role that he plays,” said Adcock.

“His ability to get up the ground and get back and help was really important on the weekend.”

Recovery Report
While NEAFL player Marco Paparone’s niggling hamstring injury has reared its ugly head once more. The forward could be sidelined for some weeks.

“Marco’s had a long battle with hamstring tendon pain over the last couple of years… It’s just caught up with him a little bit in the last few weeks. We’re still trying to get Marco back to play some finals this year,” Blanch said.

I was having a think about Marco and what he brings to the side and it is a shame he hasn't been fit to play a part in Fagans side. I hope he can get fit and get a chance to play 1s towards the end of the year. He could work nicely as a defender, wingman or forward. I walked past him recently and he is looking a lot stronger than previous years.

He's got to be done hey?

Weird how so many players can come in and kick heaps of goals in their first game but that's sort of that. I guess a good attitude and confidence isn't always a trait to build a career on. His kicking was always total muck too, cringey stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back