Maria Sharapova announces positive drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

What a shame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35750285

I believe she's still eligible to play in the James Hird Tennis World Cup though.
That's a tad harsh. This is an example on HOW to accept personal responsibility:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...mits-failed-drug-test-australian-open/7228312

Maria Sharapova has announced she failed a drug test at the Australian Open, saying a change in the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) banned list led to the violation.

Sharapova said she took anti-ischemic drug Mildronate, also known as meldonium, a banned substance.

She had been taking Mildronate since 2006, but it was added to WADA's banned list this year. She said she did not look at the updated ban list before taking the drug.

She said she was first given the substance in 2006 due to several health issues, adding she was getting sick very often, had a deficiency in magnesium and a family history of diabetes.

"I have been very open and honest about many things, I take great responsibility in my job ... I made a huge mistake," she told a media gathering in Los Angeles.

"I let my fans down, I let the sport down that I've been playing since the age of four, that I have loved so deeply.

"I know with this I face consequences and I don't want to end my career this way, and I really hope I get another chance to play this game.

"I was getting sick very often and I had a deficiency in magnesium and a family history of diabetes, and there were signs of diabetes. That is one of the medications, along with others, that I received."

She said she did not know what the consequences for her career would be.

"I do not [know], this is very new to me, I just received the letter a few days ago, and I will be working with the [International Tennis Federation]."

Saying she took "full responsibility" for her oversight, Sharapova was at pains to state meldonium was not on WADA's banned list until very recently.

"I received a letter from the ITF that I failed a drugs test at the Australian Open. I take full responsibility for it," she said.

"It is very important for you to understand that for 10 years this medicine was not on WADA's banned list and I had legally been taking the medicine for the past 10 years," she said.

"But on January 1 the rules had changed and meldonium became a prohibited substance which I had not known."

An athlete taking full responsibility for what they put into their body. Who has ever heard of such a thing.
Will all the journo's come out and say strict liability shouldn't apply to Maria because she is a lovable lass and would never mean to intentionally cheat.

Cc-O6vCUEAARaZ8.jpg:large

"I have no one to blame but myself. (You have a team aroundyou) but at the end of the day, everything that you do is about you,” Sharapova said.

Your turn, Jobe.

I genuinely feel sorry for her.

I did check ASADA's website and it doesn't list Meldonium. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 21
Hard not to take responsibility when you clearly and unarguably fail a drug test.

Anyway...

How about that, she took total responsibility.

Contrast with Essendon, who are still kicking and screaming despite the evidence.

Silly girl didn't check. Took it for granted that she was able to take it for 10 years that it'd be ok and not on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about that, she took total responsibility.

Contrast with Essendon, who are still kicking and screaming despite the evidence.

Silly girl didn't check. Took it for granted that she was able to take it for 10 years that it'd be ok and not on the list.
Ahh yes, the circumstantial evidence that required two goes to secure a conviction.

Not really the same as blatantly failing a drug test.

I genuinely feel sorry for her.

I did check ASADA's website and it doesn't list Meldonium. Screenshot attached.

The ASADA site takes a read from MIMS and lists basically drugs approved for therapeutic use in Australia. Meldonium is not.

As the site warns, if it does not appear it is not an indication all is fine. Check further, especially for overseas drugs, because we all know about them foreigners (right Senator Irrelevant).

Also, the athletes were warned, as Sharapova has said.

Ahh yes, the circumstantial evidence that required two goes to secure a conviction.

Not really the same as blatantly failing a drug test.

Prisons are full of people convicted on circumstantial evidence. It does happen. (PEDS are hard to detect)

Kudos to Sharapova she has my respect. Hope she gets back to playing purely based on her open, honest and frank admissions. This door was open to a certain club and players as well, only they chose misinformation, stalling tactics, hush money, destruction of evidence, lies and subterfuge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back