Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot Peter Forrest played ODI cricket.
peter forrest directly led to Ponting retiring from OD cricket (when he was dropped from the team to fit Forrest in as he was ~in form~). This then directly led to Ponting retiring from test cricket before he could dropped. A true legacy Forrest leaves behind

I got laughed at in another thread but I maintain my belief that Marnus will get dropped from the test team at some stage in the next 12 months. He’s flirting with his form way too much and has a touch of arrogance in his strokeplay which isn’t justified at this stage of his career

At least he has form to flirt with.

The rest of the bats bar Smith are straight up s**t.

I got laughed at in another thread but I maintain my belief that Marnus will get dropped from the test team at some stage in the next 12 months. He’s flirting with his form way too much and has a touch of arrogance in his strokeplay which isn’t justified at this stage of his career
No way in the world will he dropped.
He's struggling for form but is still averaging mid thirties.

I can't think of anybody who could replace him TBH.

geez people really need to calm down. His drop was costly (wasn’t like it was a dolly btw, he was just up too close), but he literally just top scored for us and was the only Australian batsman who looked like going on with it. He will be our long term number three and is one of only two batsmen in the side that pick themselves.

geez people really need to calm down. His drop was costly (wasn’t like it was a dolly btw, he was just up too close), but he literally just top scored for us and was the only Australian batsman who looked like going on with it. He will be our long term number three and is one of only two batsmen in the side that pick themselves.

I think the comment was made in regard to some of his strokeplay. He wasn’t in t20 mode but he went through a patch today where he absolutely couldn’t leave anything alone and was seemingly trying to manufacture bad balls that weren’t there. I can see what the comment was related to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Marnus but I agree a bit about the batting arrogance. He is also having plenty of luck go his way which won't go on forever. Still given the other batting I am not too concerned at the moment.

Hot take but my memory is that his century was so stodgy it lost us the game he scored it in.
IIRC Mickey Arthur was interviewed for one of Dan Brettig's books (Whitewash to Whitewash I think) and basically said the exact same thing, that he needed to be closer to run a ball on that wicket

As I have said I am a big fan of Marnus but he is not batting well at the moment. As much as he wants to be, he is no Steve Smith. He has had good run of luck which will end at some point.

He has the potential to be a long term test player but Langer or someone needs to have a chat to him or he will be out of the team in 12 months.

As I have said I am a big fan of Marnus but he is not batting well at the moment. As much as he wants to be, he is no Steve Smith. He has had good run of luck which will end at some point.

He has the potential to be a long term test player but Langer or someone needs to have a chat to him or he will be out of the team in 12 months.
He won’t be out of the side without players to replace him. We’re in the dark ages for batsmen around Australia.

Feel he has got a bit comfortable and therefore adventurous in his strokeplay which is not his natural game. Has a good technique where he only needs to keep it simple by letting the ball come to him and playing with a straight bat.

Jesus. He's in a bit of a form dip but that's normal. If other batsmen were performing around him we wouldn't even notice. As it is he's still amongst our best - it's just unfortunate that that isn't saying much right now.

This might well be a long term thing, sure, but any batsman's form dip could be. There's nothing to suggest it's anything more than a typical fluctuation in form.

Think that’s a bit strong...
I think I’ve just been spoiled with some very strong domestic batsmen missing out due to the strength of the side. I’ve been blessed with growing up watching cricket in the 00s when the names and talent were superb. I try to imagine Head facing McGrath and Warne and it amuses me. I never really had to endure the struggles of the past.

I don’t know if it’s just a generational thing or the influence of T20 but when’s the last time we produced a truly gifted young batsman? Even the ones coming through now i.e. Pucovski has issues with the short ball, Davies could just be a slogger, highly touted guys like Bosisto-Doran end up as FC spuds.

A lot of work on to improve the state of batting around the country.

Marnus needs to spend some time unlearning his technique against spin, because he's picked up some bad habits. You cannot sit on the back foot at test level waiting for the bad ball, because a) it's just not coming, and b) spinners will use that technique to turn you into a walking LBW.

Aside from that, he's okay. Opposition are allowed to bowl well, and he's surviving okay. Just needs to work on it.

I think I’ve just been spoiled with some very strong domestic batsmen missing out due to the strength of the side. I’ve been blessed with growing up watching cricket in the 00s when the names and talent were superb. I try to imagine Head facing McGrath and Warne and it amuses me. I never really had to endure the struggles of the past.

I don’t know if it’s just a generational thing or the influence of T20 but when’s the last time we produced a truly gifted young batsman? Even the ones coming through now i.e. Pucovski has issues with the short ball, Davies could just be a slogger, highly touted guys like Bosisto-Doran end up as FC spuds.

A lot of work on to improve the state of batting around the country.
I think the issue at the moment is mindset moreso than giftedness/talent. Head doesn't seem to have 'technique' issues, he just can't stop the rush of blood to the head when he sees a wide one. Maybe that could be attributed to technique, but I think it is a matter of T20 cricket instilling the desire to swing the arms which at the pace of international bowlers is a split second decision which I imagine is difficult to consciously avoid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back