Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs perfect conditions. Just doesn’t have great marking hands. Some players have it, some don’t. Cox doesn’t. He may be our best option at the moment as a tall forward. Haven’t seen a lot of Kelly though. Tough times with our lack of depth.

It is a bad bad position we are in with Cox. He is crucial in terms of 1) the forward structure our coaches want to go with and 2) needing someone who can pinch hit in the ruck.

Cox has shown tantalizing glimpses at both of these roles over the last few years; but the fact that we have not been able to find a better option is both testament to his endeavour and willingness, and an indictment on our lack of targeted recruiting and drafting for the forward line. For Gods sake, the Tigers won a flag with Grigg pinch hitting in the ruck.

Wait for the Cox fan boys to pedal this pearler
“He’s playing out of position, he’s a better tap ruckman than Grundy”....

It is a bad bad position we are in with Cox. He is crucial in terms of 1) the forward structure our coaches want to go with and 2) needing someone who can pinch hit in the ruck.

Cox has shown tantalizing glimpses at both of these roles over the last few years; but the fact that we have not been able to find a better option is both testament to his endeavour and willingness, and an indictment on our lack of targeted recruiting and drafting for the forward line. For Gods sake, the Tigers won a flag with Grigg pinch hitting in the ruck.
He had 4 hit outs. You can free Roughead up to take a few contest or even go with Kelly against a second ruck who will just be a pinch hitter anyway

The bloke generally almost always has 5-6inches on his opponent and still can’t beat him.

I’m six foot. A long (long) time ago I played quite a bit of decent footy as a defender... If a bloke was 6’6 and couldn’t beat me... he must have been an absolute dud.

Last edited:
The bloke generally had 5-6inches on his opponent and still can’t beat him.

I’m six foot, and happened to have play quite a bit of decent footy as a defender in the past. If a bloke was 6’6 and couldn’t beat me... he must have been an absolute dud.
Doesn’t even have any desire to impose himself

I wouldn't completely write him off yet, but he was very poor tonight.

Conditions not to his liking, clearly.

I'd love to see them put Kelly in there alongside Cox, even if Cox is there just to take the best defender away so Kelly isn't fed to the wolves too soon, and cops the lone target treatment instead.

I'd love to see them put Kelly in there alongside Cox, even if Cox is there just to take the best defender away so Kelly isn't fed to the wolves too soon, and cops the lone target treatment instead.
How many chances does Cox get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol he’s 29 ...at what point is this not a write off?
Kelly next to Cox?
so play three talls with Mihocek or drop Mihocek altogether?

I’m sorry but Cox has to go

One trick pony. Lead, mark, kick. Teams have him figured out. Push him under the ball or put someone in front him and he's useless. Time to start putting some time into some actual footballers, the era of trying to turn big athletic dumbarses has passed. Play Will Kelly ffs

Jump with aggression Coxy - put a Farking knee out in front and clear a path!

I've lost faith in Cox and think his best days are behind him.

He had his big moment in 2018, but I don't think he'll replicate it going forward.

One could argue that not having a proper key forward target in the way other strong sides (i.e. Tigers - Riewoldt and Lynch, Eagles - Kennedy and Darling, Giants - Cameron) has been hugely detrimental to us taking that extra step forward at the top end.

Reckon you guys should have picked up Casboult or Jenkins for free last year. Neither is a world beater, but more consistent than Cox. You’re one good key forward away from a flag IMO.
I remember a few of us being surprised that we didn't go in hard enough for Jenkins.

I certainly would have taken him on a 2-year contract.

Reckon you guys should have picked up Casboult or Jenkins for free last year. Neither is a world beater, but more consistent than Cox. You’re one good key forward away from a flag IMO.

I was Pissed we didn't Chase Jenkins last trade Period

Should've went after Jenkins when he was a free agent, offers more than Cox AND can pinch hit in the ruck as well like he did when Jacobs was resting at the Crows. If the Cats aren't gonna play him then you should go after him in 2021 since he won't be on big money. Or even better, you should go after Callum Coleman-Jones from Richmond since he's stuck behind Lynch, Riewoldt and he's behind Marbior Chol in the pecking order and guarantee him the main spot in the 22 for Cox, since he's can play forward and also give Grundy a chop out in the ruck too.

I reckon Cox needs to be the deepest forward at ALL times, watching the game, the forward line looked more dangerous and dynamic when Cox is the deepest forward despite not clunking marks. This could be because faster players like De Goey and Stephenson normally play the deepest forwards are up the ground they can provide extra forward pressure instead of being stuck at the goal square being 20m away from the footy when it's being run out. I back him to bounce back next week should it be dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back