Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a big fan of persisting with the Stefanberger combo but how is it that Leuey can't mark? Every time he either tries to juggle it or just palm it down in front as if he was rucking.

It's almost as if he needs to spend a few sessions catching skied cricket balls to learn how to catch.

I am not that concerned about Leuy's marking ability. He is just one of those players that will often juggle a contested mark - he is by no means alone in that. In fact the majority of players in the AFL do the same - it is only the very best that can one grab a mark in a contest.

Something that I do think he (and Martin) should be able to learn more of though is when and how to lead in the forward line. There is still too many times when he is unnecessarily stationary (Martin was the same during one short stint up forward I particularly noticed).

Having said that, it is amazing how much we continually underestimate the value of having a big player just make a contest in the forward line and bring the ball to ground. In that way Leuy was crucial yesterday even if his stats don't show it. It is what Merrett did last year and JB had been doing for years.

Yeah it is even better if you can mark more and kick some goals, but the team looks so much better when they can arrange themselves around a big target they have some confidence in.

I'm a big fan of persisting with the Stefanberger combo but how is it that Leuey can't mark? Every time he either tries to juggle it or just palm it down in front as if he was rucking.

It's almost as if he needs to spend a few sessions catching skied cricket balls to learn how to catch.

Just had a look at the first page of this thread. The following comment after his 2006 U18 Championships caught my eye:

His marking in extremely wet conditions in game three was impressive for his team.

!!!

I honestly think that Leuey is still a bit gun-shy after his run of injuries, especially those couple of early-season ones that put him out for the rest of the season. He seems to be trying to ease himself into form in a very conservative manner.

If he survives to the second half of the season without injury, we should see a bit more of the old Leuey as the confidence returns.

Just had a look at the first page of this thread. The following comment after his 2006 U18 Championships caught my eye:

His marking in extremely wet conditions in game three was impressive for his team.

!!!

Youtube his first AFL goal. It came from a very strong pack mark.

He'll improve. As long as he continues to run hard lines at the ball and prevent outright defensive marks, he'll be creating nooks and eddies for the others to work in.

Even if he's just tall enough to scare the defenders into punching rather than marking he's providing chances.

He'll improve. As long as he continues to run hard lines at the ball and prevent outright defensive marks, he'll be creating nooks and eddies for the others to work in.

Even if he's just tall enough to scare the defenders into punching rather than marking he's providing chances.

He can use his height to draw frees in the marking contest as well but that relies on the umps actually paying the frees

He can use his height to draw frees in the marking contest as well but that relies on the umps actually paying the frees

Yes I thought he was pretty unlucky on a few occasions to not get a chopping the arms decision. Its like the umpires decided that since his opponent couldn't get up high enough to get the ball they got a free pass on the arm chop. This sort of punishing a player for a perceived disadvantage happens a lot. It used to happen with Browny quite often where the umps wouldn't pay things because Browny was tough enough to handle it. Same way that inexperienced teams tend to get overpenalised when compared to your more established teams, the whole "they're young and not a great team so they must be doing the wrong thing" tends to permeate through umpires subconscious quite often.

Yes I thought he was pretty unlucky on a few occasions to not get a chopping the arms decision. Its like the umpires decided that since his opponent couldn't get up high enough to get the ball they got a free pass on the arm chop. This sort of punishing a player for a perceived disadvantage happens a lot. It used to happen with Browny quite often where the umps wouldn't pay things because Browny was tough enough to handle it. Same way that inexperienced teams tend to get overpenalised when compared to your more established teams, the whole "they're young and not a great team so they must be doing the wrong thing" tends to permeate through umpires subconscious quite often.

Yeah chopping the arms is no longer the focus of the month rule for umps so they're not really looking for them kind of like how the sliding rule has been forgotten or deliberately no longer paid. He should be getting at least a couple of frees a game chopping the arms with his height. Even though he doesn't mark the footy at least he tries to mark it with his arms outstretched and not on his chest.

Low numbers but Leppa's thrilled with Leuenberger

"I thought he was terrific," Leppitsch said.

"He only had four possessions, but his ability to play his role and draw the ball allowed Josh Green (three goals) to do his work, and straightened us up offensively to give us a target.

"He was in dozens of contests, he didn't mark all the balls, some he was just a millimetre away, but that'll come over the weeks.

"His ability to play his role was terrific."

Leppitsch said Leuenberger's response on the training track to being dropped had been first class.

"He's trained very hard, very diligently, (has) come back in and played well. That's what we want from all our players," he said.

372742-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Funny thing is, if he CAN clunk a few, he might actually get a few more chopping decisions paid. At the moment I think umpires almost instinctively believe he's never going to mark the ball anyway, so the chopping technically makes no difference to whether he marks or not.

I know it SHOULD make no difference if the free kick is there, but I think it does.

Contested marking comes late to most rucks. Given his injury run, it may come even later to Leuey. I look at someone like Goldstein who's the same age but has nearly two seasons' more senior experience and a whole lot more continuity to develop. Even Goldstein has really only starting clunking marks in the last 12 or so months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little provocative but unless he can go forward and do damage, he's trade-able. Hudson's form this year really shows you what big men MUST do - impose and compete relentlessly. I have not yet seen that in Leuenberger. First round picks like Rich are what we need - he is most impressive ( elite ) and committed to become the best he can. Finesse with fever.
Think the window has closed ?

Brisbane could lose ruckman Matthew Leuenberger without getting any compensation

BRISBANE could lose another two top-10 draft picks at year’s end, including ruckman Matthew Leuenberger for no compensation.

Leuenberger and midfielder Daniel Rich were both criticised for their lack of leadership by coach Justin Leppitsch after the Lions’ heavy loss to the Western Bulldogs.

There is little prospect of contract talks for free agent Leuenberger — the no. 4 pick in the 2006 draft — who is destined to move to another club.

The Lions’ determination to lure a free agent like Matt Suckling would cancel out any compensation pick they received for Leuenberger.

Second-year midfielder James Aish — pick 7 in the 2013 national draft — also seems likely to move to a rival at year’s end.

The Lions at least would receive picks or players in exchange for Aish, with Carlton meeting him earlier in the season to appraise his interest.

Ralphy special.

Now's the time to step up big fella over the next two weeks and show everyone what you are made of.
I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it will be best for both parties for him to move on. He can't play second fiddle in the ruck and we want more versatile ruckmen.

The next two weeks will set his paypacket at his new club next year I feel.

I commented awhile ago that as the in looks likely to be heading a specific direction without Luey and obviously not going to make finals that we should try to raise his value. There are no certainties that other FA's are going to come our way and void whatever componsation we would receive. He showed something last week with what he can do and the next two weeks are prime opportunities for him to show the comp as well.

I commented awhile ago that as the in looks likely to be heading a specific direction without Luey and obviously not going to make finals that we should try to raise his value. There are no certainties that other FA's are going to come our way and void whatever componsation we would receive. He showed something last week with what he can do and the next two weeks are prime opportunities for him to show the comp as well.

to be honest this was one of the first times we were winning clearances against a reputable team, no surprise alot of it is due to having Leuie back in the ruck, this also increased martins effectiveness across the ground too playing the blicavs type of role which I think he is more suited to.

Miracles do happen I dont think we can completely write-off leuie being around next year, while him leaving for big money and us getting a 2nd or 3rd pick might be great in securing another gun player, think having him around over the next couple of years working with stefan can have a greater impact for us

Leuey's Up To The Challange

“Stef will be a big blow. He’s been in good form and he gives us a real punch around the stoppages.

“Obviously it’s a good opportunity for Matty Leuenberger to start as first ruck. We saw signs last week, he took a couple of good marks, and a couple of good goals. He’s just starting to hit a bit of good form and he can carry that on in the full ruck position”, O’Donnell said.

“Matty is probably going to be doing 80% of the ruck, Harris Andrews can ruck for us, we might even have a look at Archie Smith come from the reserves to fill that role.”

Brisbane Lions seething at Stef Martin ban, chance for Matthew Leuenberger to step up

BRISBANE captain Tom Rockliff says ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has the ideal opportunity on Sunday to prove he is still an AFL force.

Leuenberger will replace suspended Stef Martin as Brisbane’s No.1 ruckman for the toughest away trip in the game, against Fremantle at Perth’s Domain Stadium.

He will go toe-to-toe with Dockers giant Aaron Sandilands and a strong showing against the best big man in the business would boost Leuenberger’s stocks significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back