Past Matthew Ling - delisted 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

NMOwjlIA.jpg

Matthew Ling

Matt Ling is lightning-quick and has a pinpoint left-foot kick. The problem is a torrid injury run prevented him from hitting his best over his first two seasons at the Sydney Swans. Serious toe and Achilles injuries limited the club’s top 2017 AFL Draft selection to just 16 NEAFL games across the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Season 2020 is his time to shine.

Matthew Ling
DOB: 21 April 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Mary's (Vic)/Geelong U18

Just watched the replay. Three times in the last quarter he cleared out of defensive 50 congestion with a beautiful raking left footer off one step. Plenty to work with here

COR should be worried

Just watched the replay. Three times in the last quarter he cleared out of defensive 50 congestion with a beautiful raking left footer off one step. Plenty to work with here

COR should be worried
I don’t think they’re quite the same player, which I know seems a bit weird. I see Ling playing at half back sending Lloyd or Mills to midfield or wing.

Nice article Matthew
On the weekend against Hawthorn, Sydney’s Matthew Ling (pick No.14) became the last of the first 34 players selected in the 2017 Draft to make his AFL debut. The 20-year-old reflects on his journey for aflplayers.com.au and highlights the welcome support he has received from the significant people in his life to get him to this point of his career.

Nick Smith has also been a great mentor for me.
He gives lots of tips about positioning and getting to the right spots early, and he’s helped me change my mindset to make me more accountable.
I used to think if my opponent got a quick shot on goal out of a pack it was just bad luck, but Nick’s helped me realise you can stop everything.

Nice article Matthew
On the weekend against Hawthorn, Sydney’s Matthew Ling (pick No.14) became the last of the first 34 players selected in the 2017 Draft to make his AFL debut. The 20-year-old reflects on his journey for aflplayers.com.au and highlights the welcome support he has received from the significant people in his life to get him to this point of his career.

Nick Smith has also been a great mentor for me.
He gives lots of tips about positioning and getting to the right spots early, and he’s helped me change my mindset to make me more accountable.
I used to think if my opponent got a quick shot on goal out of a pack it was just bad luck, but Nick’s helped me realise you can stop everything.

Was not paying as much attention as I should and thought Ling said he was studying ecoterrorism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found it hard to keep track of Ling watching at the ground last week, so actually very keen to get the chance to see him play on TV. Hope he has a blinder, was fairly impressed with the way he conducted himself in the interview that's up on the Swans site.

Found it hard to keep track of Ling watching at the ground last week, so actually very keen to get the chance to see him play on TV. Hope he has a blinder, was fairly impressed with the way he conducted himself in the interview that's up on the Swans site.
Yep..
When the Swans draft, they put a big emphasis on the kids character. Ling might seem like he was a stretch at p15? but people who say that (lukeparker no1) have never spoken to him.
He was asked, "who would you like to thank?".. his answer was very long
who did you like playing you're first match with?" once again a very long answer
he seems to like / respect / be interested in / have the respect of... Everyone!
and then there was Rampes captains speech focussing on resilience.. Ling was singled out (not bad for a team mate has hadn't played a game)

Seems a fantastic person which will get the most out of his fantastic talent

Last edited:
Not a lot of chat about this guy.

For mine I still think the skies the limit, but 2021 you'd think would have to be a big year.

Mostly because the back line appears to be pretty well stacked, with a few highly rated blokes waiting in the wings. I can see the back line bedding down next year for a while and the swans focusing on bringing in big talent in the forward line/ruck.

Would love to see him crack into the 22, but I can't workout where to fit him - Lloyd, Cunningham, mills aren't going anywhere, and then you've got a few wingers like Dawson who slot in there when needs be.

The only solution I can think of is pushing blakey, mcinerney and dawson to more winger/forward roles and slotting in a 7th defender with license to run the wings.

Any guesses how we get this guy in?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a lot of chat about this guy.

For mine I still think the skies the limit, but 2021 you'd think would have to be a big year.

Mostly because the back line appears to be pretty well stacked, with a few highly rated blokes waiting in the wings. I can see the back line bedding down next year for a while and the swans focusing on bringing in big talent in the forward line/ruck.

Would love to see him crack into the 22, but I can't workout where to fit him - Lloyd, Cunningham, mills aren't going anywhere, and then you've got a few wingers like Dawson who slot in there when needs be.

The only solution I can think of is pushing blakey, mcinerney and dawson to more winger/forward roles and slotting in a 7th defender with license to run the wings.

Any guesses how we get this guy in?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Terrific question.
A lot depends on whether Brand plays or not. If he does, it will be hard as the other 6 (incl ic) will most likely be Cunningham, Rampe, Mills, Lloyd, Dawson and McCartin.
If Brand isn't picked Rampe will play FB and that would create a space to be contested by O'Riordan, Gould and Ling.
IMO the best option, as you mention, is to push Dawson up to the wing which creates the extra space. Dawson can drop back if needed. Not Mills though.

Terrific question.
A lot depends on whether Brand plays or not. If he does, it will be hard as the other 6 (incl ic) will most likely be Cunningham, Rampe, Mills, Lloyd, Dawson and McCartin.
If Brand isn't picked Rampe will play FB and that would create a space to be contested by O'Riordan, Gould and Ling.
IMO the best option, as you mention, is to push Dawson up to the wing which creates the extra space. Dawson can drop back if needed. Not Mills though.

Melican is contracted to 2023, so I think he is before Brand in the pecking order, which makes it harder.

Brand is taller and may be good against the very big KPFs, but you're right. One more mountain to climb.

I doubt we will play both Brand and Melican - it depends on the opposition. Geelong might require both, with the bigger Brand on Hawkins and Melican on Cameron. OTOH v Richmond I expect we'd play shorter, and perhaps that's where Ling gets a go.

The little bit I saw of Ling last season wants me to see more, but I agree the hard part is to figure out who makes way for him. He has been kept on the list despite his injury woes for some time, so clearly the club rates him.

I doubt we will play both Brand and Melican - it depends on the opposition. Geelong might require both, with the bigger Brand on Hawkins and Melican on Cameron. OTOH v Richmond I expect we'd play shorter, and perhaps that's where Ling gets a go.

The little bit I saw of Ling last season wants me to see more, but I agree the hard part is to figure out who makes way for him. He has been kept on the list despite his injury woes for some time, so clearly the club rates him.
I think Pyke will have a big role to play, working through our systems and what are the best combinations. It won't be random. We followers will be unlikely to spot too many of the factors.
For instance, I love watching Bachar Houli playing. His ability to break clear to link from pocket to wing is second to none. Must have a tank the size of a truck.

I think Pyke will have a big role to play, working through our systems and what are the best combinations. It won't be random. We followers will be unlikely to spot too many of the factors.
For instance, I love watching Bachar Houli playing. His ability to break clear to link from pocket to wing is second to none. Must have a tank the size of a truck.
I hope both Brand and O'Riordan do not get a game next year. It will mean guys like Ling, Gould and a potential pick 3 get game time. Nothing against both Brand and OR but they are just solid. I'd like to see our gun juniors add some class to the team.

Meant to mention at that time and forgot - saw him, Nick Blakey and Florent kicking the footy around at a park in Sandringham around Christmas time. The sound and precision of his kicks was fantastic up close!

Meant to mention at that time and forgot - saw him, Nick Blakey and Florent kicking the footy around at a park in Sandringham around Christmas time. The sound and precision of his kicks was fantastic up close!
If I remember right that was a big part of why we drafted him.
Good luck to the lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back