Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Parker has been back from injury for three games, playing really well in the twos, kicked the game winning goal last week.

Parker not named in the ones this week.

What would Nicks do?

Fairly obvious I would've thought.

Parker wouldn't have missed any games (let alone coming back via the reserves) Nicks loves selecting injured seniors players.

Shaw was a long time ago, but every other one of our coaches has shown something, a period of finals before eventually turning to shit.

This bloke has given us nothing. He gave us our first wooden spoon, there is no way we should have finished bottom with the team we had, there was still enough talent in it. We cut deep after that because we did finish bottom. Roo said he thought we had enough experienced players to be better than that.

He’s gradually improved since then but he’s also been blessed with the highest draft picks we’ve had plus 2 of the best recruits we’ve had in Dawson and Rankine.

In the year we should be playing finals he changes the game plan, leads us to 0-4 and then blames the players. Throw in the shit selections and its obvious the bloke is not a senior coach and there is absolutely no way he is our next premiership coach, hell he might not even be our next finals coach.

He’s come from the Ken Hinkley school of “like me, won’t criticise me”.

He’s a shit coach and can’t stand the ********.

Alright, scratch that then, just give me an example of a position change that happened in game that no one really saw coming the had a large impact on the result of a game.

Our coach can’t even make selection changes.

But I have no doubt we could make swingmen out of guys like Worrell, Elliot Himmelburg, Keane or Nick Murray

Yet another blot on the Nicks ledger, Smith is about to hit his trigger for a new contract.

List management did the right thing putting triggers in Smiths contract, unfortunately for them (and us) it doesn't matter how bad Smiths form is or how injured he is - Nicks will still pick him, so the trigger clause was a pointless exercise.

So when Smith gets a contract for next season it is not on our usual poor list management team, this one is Nicks and his infatuation with underperforming players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, scratch that then, just give me an example of a position change that happened in game that no one really saw coming the had a large impact on the result of a game.

Nicks subbing off Soligo last year against Collingwood, it had a large impact on the result of the game - a negative impact for us.

Well to some Nicks is still a developing coach so I guess we shouldn't be expecting anything near that level of coaching until closer to his 10th year.

Hopefully he starts hitting his straps by his 15th year.

Nicks is a rookie coach with a squad of inexperienced teenagers don't you know. Many argued this fact many times.

Shaw was a long time ago, but every other one of our coaches has shown something, a period of finals before eventually turning to s**t.

This bloke has given us nothing. He gave us our first wooden spoon, there is no way we should have finished bottom with the team we had, there was still enough talent in it. We cut deep after that because we did finish bottom. Roo said he thought we had enough experienced players to be better than that.

He’s gradually improved since then but he’s also been blessed with the highest draft picks we’ve had plus 2 of the best recruits we’ve had in Dawson and Rankine.

In the year we should be playing finals he changes the game plan, leads us to 0-4 and then blames the players. Throw in the s**t selections and its obvious the bloke is not a senior coach and there is absolutely no way he is our next premiership coach, hell he might not even be our next finals coach.

He’s come from the Ken Hinkley school of “like me, won’t criticise me”.

He’s a s*t coach and can’t stand the *******.

The second half of 2022 was the canary in the coal mine that Nicks wasn't up to it.

You and I both wanted him sacked at three end of 2022 and any club that was worth their salt would have moved him on after that season.

Well to some Nicks is still a developing coach so I guess we shouldn't be expecting anything near that level of coaching until closer to his 10th year.

Hopefully he starts hitting his straps by his 15th year.

Geez, have some patience man, it’s not uncommon to go over 20 years without a flag. Just back him in FFS.

The second half of 2022 was the canary in the coal mine that Nicks wasn't up to it.

You and I both wanted him sacked at three end of 2022 and any club that was worth their salt would have moved him on after that season.

There is being a rookie coach then there is making the same mistakes multiple times. Nicks made a hell of a lot of mistakes in his first 2 years that should have been massive red flags but was written away under the excuse of having an inexperienced team. Instead the club jumped on an extension, only for him to create a whole new list of mistakes to repeat in 2023 and now it seems he is sick of making new mistakes, he is going back to the well of old mistakes.

He's useless.

Terrible at selection and structure, and completely inept on game day.

A pre-planned sub is just absolutely moronic, he's done it before, conceded it was stupid, and does it again anyway.

He doesn't even learn from his own mistakes.

Just to reinforce this, after yet another week of hopeless selection decisions.

There is no development plan for our squad and younger players, it's just the same yo-yo bullshit of the same players who are for some reason in favour - performances are irrelevant.

We have a good list with some individuals capable of winning matches themselves, so we'll bounce around the middle of the ladder - but that'll be the best we do, until these morons are gone.

I am a big believer that your best players should be in the leadership group. Ultimately need your captain to lead on the field and your leaders to be able to stand up in important moments. The fact that we have players like Brodie Smith and Lachlan Murphy in our leadership group highlight just how bereft we are with on field leaders.

I suspect we've got some guys capable of growing into leadership roles (Worrell, Soligo, Murray) given the opportunity - but we don't give them the opportunity; we don't even give them the responsibility of being key players on the field. Soli forced his way in through his performances, Rankine only got put into the midfield as a last resort, etc.

We don't empower the young guys, and we don't give them any meaningful responsibility unless we have no other choice. We put people in the leadership group without them actually being able to show leadership on the field (I don't care how hard Murphy trains, I wouldn't put any value in his leadership due to his complete ineffectiveness on gameday) - even worse than that, we put people like Smith in it - who has become an incredibly selfish footballer to try and compensate for falling off the cliff over the last two years.

It'd be very hard to be a young player who WANTS leadership responsibility, in that environment.

I'll openly admit I was late to the party realising Sando was garbage. And have been holding the faith up until now with Nicks, but now I'm on board. Get rid of this fraud.

You've been patient but welcome to the club.

How any one can still have Faith in Nicks is mind boggling to me.

He's in year five and is still picking Murphy and McHenry, if Sloane could see Nicks would still have a midfield of Laird, Crouch & Sloane.

In year FIVE, it's diabolical.

Back