Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 minutes at most

1st one about 20 seconds - 25 x 20 - 75 425
25 x 80 - 150 = 1850
25 x 40 + 75 = 1075
That's not how I did it, but I like it :thumbsupv1: :). I gave myself more time than I needed, btw ;).

Gotta keep in mind, they were 14/15/16, jaded, tech-dependent and had never been made to use their own brains for such calculations.
Multiplying by 25 was like magic to them --- impossibly difficult --- and it got their attention.

It's a money game

The AFL's fortunes don't rise or fall on our performances as they do with Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood. So the AFL has no vested interest in seeing us succeed.

Likewise we do not become a financial burden when we're struggling like Bulldogs, Port. So the AFL has no vested interest in lifting us out of the mire during down times.

Whether these financial realities have an impact on AFL decision making...? In the eye of the beholder I guess.

Regarding umpire bias, we've seen this occur with Jack Ginnivan. Not getting the frees he deserves because of his previous actions. Umpires now have a subconscious bias against him.

We know why it happened with him (boy who cried wolf) but what other biases exist?

It was telling that after the Pannell 17-1 free kick game the umpire head honcho was asked if individual umpire's free kick histories were tracked to detect bias towards or against certain clubs. "No... why would we need to do that? The umpires aren't biased," was the response.

Hmmm.

The individual umpire free kick tallies are hidden from view. Pannellgate only occurred because some whistle-blower took a screen shot during the closing stages of the match. The data is not available anywhere publicly. Quite deliberately I'm sure.

Only smooth brained types think there is an AFL bias against us

There is no bias, there’s absolute indifference. As you say it makes no difference to the bottom line whether we’re top, bottom or in the middle

We literally just don’t matter enough to inspire any bias or conspiracy against

Last edited:
That's not how I did it, but I like it :thumbsupv1: :). I gave myself more time than I needed, btw ;).

Gotta keep in mind, they were 14/15/16, jaded, tech-dependent and had never been made to use their own brains for such calculations.
Multiplying by 25 was like magic to them --- id ossibly difficult --- and it got their attention.
25 is easy because it leads to a base number ie 4 x 25 is 100

17 x 73 takes a bit longer because you are doing it twice

20 x 70 + 60 1460 minus 3x 73 - 1241

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

Norwood supporters are underrated in the thug stakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies to the Thread; this probably belongs in a PM, but Stephen2 replied in here, so ...

How to say "OK, Boomer", without saying "OK, Boomer" :sneaky::

"Old" is right :smilev1:.

Easier? Time-easier maybe. Good for my brain? No.
I'll explain.

I used the best Calculator known to humans; my brain + my knowledge of Exponent manipulation.
I didn't have to calculate a thing. Just did a little mental juggling.
Didn't write anything down, or pick anything up, turn it on or press any buttons.

If you know what log(2) and log(7) are --- I don't, not even approximately --- and can do the multiplications in your head, kudos :thumbsupv1:. That's impressive.
But I'm guessing you used a calculator, pushed a few buttons and the machine did the work for you while your brain stayed in "off" mode. Calculators are great for complex calculations, but that's it.
I could train a chicken to recognise the symbols and numbers and push those buttons you used with its beak, for a grain of corn, all the way down to "=".

What's more, I'll bet I did it quicker without using a calculator and I got some very valuable brain exercise at the same time. At my age, I need it, lol@me :shoutyoldman:.

I understand your solution just fine --- it is correct --- but I didn't need "the new ways".
Your solution was outsourced to technology (unless you did it in your noggin, to which I repeat, kudos) which is making human brains lazier and duller by the day.

In 2013 I had a Year 11 Maths student blithely use a calculator to do 30 x 10 :eek:. I swear, I am not making that up.
That's what calculators have done to them. Stupendously lazy brains. Glazed-eyes Eloi.

As part of my preamble with a new Maths class at the start of the year, I'd choose students at random and say,
what's 25 x 17?
what's 25 x 74?
what's 25 x 43?
I only ever got shocked confusion. Then I'd say to them:
"OK, here's the deal. If I can teach you how to multiply any 2-digit number by 25 in 5 minutes in your head, then you have to pay attention and listen to me. If not, you can slack off and give me Hell, deal?".
The challenge was always accepted, with laughter.
Of course it depends on their ability to know the 4-times-table, but I got enough converts after 5 minutes for us to be off and running :D. It (the challenge of brain-exercise) always worked.

Calculator-and-tech-dependence encouraged by tech-dependent teachers is one of the massive failings of the modern S.A. Education system.
You had a chance to take that rant in an entirely different direction, and you ended up choosing to make it wholesome.

Not sure if I'm happy with that.

What will it take the the club to sack him?
Once I win Powerball tonight I will walk into the club with a $5m check and say this is ''sponsorship'' but Ncks and Godden have to go

Once I win Powerball tonight I will walk into the club with a $5m check and say this is ''sponsorship'' but Ncks and Godden have to go
I still don't understand the hate from some on this board for Godden. Does someone have inside info on his performance or is it only intuition or similar?

I still don't understand the hate from some on this board for Godden. Does someone have inside info on his performance or is it only intuition or similar?
From comments by him I feel his development mantra is not about promoting rough edged players but eliminating every mistake which drains the talent out of really really talented players

Our 2 most talented players Dawson and Rankine came through other systems

From comments by him I feel his development mantra is not about promoting rough edged players but eliminating every mistake which drains the talent out of really really talented players

Our 2 most talented players Dawson and Rankine came through other systems
Rankine was a pick 3. Dawson is a case of good recruiting
And
Soligo,Pedlar, Muzz,MM,Worrall, Crouch,Rachelle etc,etc. Which system did they come through?

Yes it is true unfortunately .....and you're correct about when it started .....however it was essentially KG Cunningham & Cornes, and 5AA, that championed that chip on the shoulder attitude towards Victoria .....the ol "Kick-A-Vic" slogan

It won 5AA a lot of listeners, and made their reputations as staunch Sth Aussies .... and, as media does, influenced people's opinions, which has continued & propagated

Frankly, the people in MELB don't give Sth Aust a 2nd thought .....but IMO the little brother thinking has certainly been detrimental

I relocated to MELB in 89 ....and I remember being genuinely worried my car with Vic number plates, would be vandalised after losing the F1 Grand Prix to Victoria
I don't think that animosity exists in any other state in Australia
Other states are equally parochial along with SA. Queenslanders with their lumping others into despised 'Southerners'. Tasmanians with 'Mainlanders'. NSW VIC rivalry makes SA VIC seem tame. WAers think everything to the east stinks. I've lived in every state in this country and it's pretty much true that people detest 'others'

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back