Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just saw the end of his players address after the Collingwood loss, and essentially said, "Don't go away from here with the over-riding thoughts of what you need to do to get better, I'm proud of you. Get around each other. And we move on!"

I mean what the actual heck! Another tight loss of essentially our own doing and that's enough for Nicks! FMD.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

Why is it overuse? He did it whilst running at full pace and kicking an inside out drop punt on his right instead of using his left. It's just as likely that motion at full pace caused imbalance and the injury.

Because muscles are flexible when warmed up, thats why players stretch and warm up before games. He would have done that exact same thing at training a million times and all throughout his career. Overuse is the gradual damage of the muscle. He could have hurt it slightly 6 weeks ago, walked it off and felt fine. but every time he ran it never healed and he kept tearing at it. The last over exertion and action was merely the straw that broke the camels back. It was a ticking time bomb.

It feels like stuff I'd tell the kids I coached in U8-10's basketball. Don't worry about the ball going in or not, don't worry about winning or losing, just try your hardest and learn to put effort in even when it's hard or you don't get an instant reward for it.

We should be well past this kinda stuff being at the forefront of how the coach handles players at what is supposed to be the elite level.

Nicks has as much edge as a basketball.

Well I was going to write a long critical post about Nicks and McHenry but honestly, his dropping came 8 rounds too late. Frankly this feels like panic from Nicks who perhaps is copping some internal pressure to change it up. The McHenry boundary umpire shape running was crap apologist fan bait for the Happy Clappers at the time, we all knew it and he consistently proved us right.

How is our shape going to be without McHenry in the side?

I'm confused besides I'm still waiting for one poster to tell me what shape is.

This is where Nicks currently sits on the list of coaches over the past 20 years with a min of 40 games (from AFL Tables).

It's clear that other clubs have had the good sense to take action around this time or significantly earlier, and the ones that dragged it out (Dew / Richardson) didn't get any better.

We shat the bed by not moving sooner and going after Hardwick, an actual leader of men who commands respect and wouldn't put up with the continued underperformance of senior players.

View attachment 1998919
And blaming Pyke for the shitshow of media beat up of the camp and kicking his arse to the curb. A 60%+ winning coach that took us to a GF.

How is our shape going to be without McHenry in the side?

I'm confused besides I'm still waiting for one poster to tell me what shape is.
We all know it was about keeping our zone. I am not sure how as a wing / half forward / forward pocket it really helped us. We have been consistently poor at scoring, he was rarely used as an outlet player. His KM's per game didnt translate to the rhetoric as using his fitness as some superior advantage.

At the time it was PR from Nicks to protect an in the gun McHenry. A non statistical shape running role. Lol. I think this will go down as one of the all time gaffs by a coach. I can't believe it was allowed to slip through to the keeper by the media. I would have 100% asked him to explain this role, brought up McHenry statistics and asked him to justify it in a side that is not winning.

And blaming Pyke for the shitshow of media beat up of the camp and kicking his arse to the curb. A 60%+ winning coach that took us to a GF.

How you have heard/read any of what the players actually involved said about the camp and how it was handled afterwards and arrived at this conclusion is baffling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because muscles are flexible when warmed up, thats why players stretch and warm up before games. He would have done that exact same thing at training a million times and all throughout his career. Overuse is the gradual damage of the muscle. He could have hurt it slightly 6 weeks ago, walked it off and felt fine. but every time he ran it never healed and he kept tearing at it. The last over exertion and action was merely the straw that broke the camels back. It was a ticking time bomb.

Overuse isn't the only reason that hamstring muscles tear.

Rewarding good form in the 2nds, outlining a clear role for a younger player in their preferred position, and then giving them ample opportunity in the middle in the 1sts, is exactly what the posters here want.

It's the complete opposite of what we do. Don't reward form in the seconds (see dowling). Don't give a clear role to players drafted and give them oppurtunies (play players drafted as midfielders on the half forward flank and 0 CBAs). Don't play them in their preferred position to develop them in the future (Curtin as FB in the seconds).
Exactly and saved me posting it.

Based on the example Mutineer is trying to make, we should see Curtin given some midfield time in the AFL next year which might see some stints back in the SANFL.

Whats the bet we don’t?

Let's just surmise that we lose Sunday then go to the G next week and lose to Hawks.

What are the implications for Nicks?
Hope it happens and if it does no cringe cliche will be enough. The club won’t be able to continue putting their heads in the sand and his position would have to be under serious review.

As much as I think Nix doesn't have what it takes to deliver a flag, it really is a full club issue. There's always been a lot of unjustified belief that if they just continue working at doing what they're doing better, they'll get there. A comment from Tex caught my eye in the artucke where he explains why Nix is a great coach. The article is 22 March 2024. We either hadn't played a game or had been beaten by Gold Coast. What possible justification can Tex have for stating that our #1 attack team has gotten better and it helps his form? At best we saw a ho hum trial v Eagles. Otherwise it's cones or probable v possible thrashings. There's simply no reasonable basis to have arrived at that view at that time. And you can be sure he wasn't the only player or employee enjoying the smell of their own farts.

9E156EB8-B7D1-4581-83F4-18D1B02A7E22.png

I just saw the end of his players address after the Collingwood loss, and essentially said, "Don't go away from here with the over-riding thoughts of what you need to do to get better, I'm proud of you. Get around each other. And we move on!"

I mean what the actual heck! Another tight loss of essentially our own doing and that's enough for Nicks! FMD.
I think he’d just finished a Ted Lasso marathon 🤔

Let's just surmise that we lose Sunday then go to the G next week and lose to Hawks.

What are the implications for Nicks?

Blame the players and if what Rowey has alluded to previously is true then it will just put the assistants even more in the gun than they currently are.

The players will be sacked before Nicks

Nicks feels like a fungus.
As much as I think Nix doesn't have what it takes to deliver a flag, it really is a full club issue. There's always been a lot of unjustified belief that if they just continue working at doing what they're doing better, they'll get there. A comment from Tex caught my eye in the artucke where he explains why Nix is a great coach. The article is 22 March 2024. We either hadn't played a game or had been beaten by Gold Coast. What possible justification can Tex have for stating that our #1 attack team has gotten better and it helps his form? At best we saw a ho hum trial v Eagles. Otherwise it's cones or probable v possible thrashings. There's simply no reasonable basis to have arrived at that view at that time. And you can be sure he wasn't the only player or employee enjoying the smell of their own farts.

View attachment 1999678

Its a feel good interview for the 'Happy Clapper' demographic of club supporters, not those who can smell the BS.

I think Nicks is the perfect storm. He has the right stuff to appeal to the 'happy clappers' and he is a players coach. Basically a coach who has favourites. Like a Hinkley (only worse).

These coaches are the worst. They achieve nothing but make everyone but the sceptics feel like success is around the corner.

Back