Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't have the runs on the board to be taking it easy in the pre-season stuff...

Hard to put the runs on the board when you're on the sidelines don't you think?

Turn what around on a massive scale?

Did you expect him to play jlts and intra clubs games the way he plays h&a games re?
No but there is a difference in not putting in. As they say, how you train reflects how you end up playing.

I remember hearing an interview with that ex Carlton player Jordan Russell we picked up a few years ago. He was asked what has surprised him the most at Collingwood. His answer was how hard Swanny used to train during the the pre-season and the extra sessions he would do. He was shocked in fact.

No but there is a difference in not putting in. As they say, how you train reflects how you end up playing.

I remember hearing an interview with that ex Carlton player Jordan Russell we picked up a few years ago. He was asked what has surprised him the most at Collingwood. His answer was how hard Swanny used to train during the the pre-season and the extra sessions he would do. He was shocked in fact.

So are you saying Matthew doesn't train hard?

This thread keeps getting better. :drunk:

Hard to put the runs on the board when you're on the sidelines don't you think?

So you think not having played much due to injury excuses a player who has not established themselves in the best 22 from showing a bit of form in the pre-season then?

Look what disguishes bright gifted footballers from the rest of the crowd is their ability to adjust.. this bloke has done 2 knees.. ok.. probably lost a bit of speed as a result.. probably not as sharp as he would like to be in line with his standards.. but this bloke is like Ronaldo.. yep Ronaldo has gotten older.. lost his speed and sharpness somewhat.. so his no longer running from deep.. or running the wings as much.. he's spending more time in the box.. but he's still super effective.. so really the results arnt all that different really.

I look at Scharenberg in a similar light to Ronaldo.. you probably won't get the bloke running the wings off half back like a madman.. or playing midfield as a result of his injuries.. but we would have missed out on his playing style right now if it hadn't had those knee injuries. So the result is really this.. we are seeing this bloke at his best but in a different light to what we expected.. we have lost nothing.

So you think not having played much due to injury excuses a player who has not established themselves in the best 22 from showing a bit of form in the pre-season then?

F oath I do.

The proof is in the pudding.

Go check out his stats again partypie in the real stuff........elite.

If you look back to his first 10 games.. he was just a kid surveying his territory.. there was no intensity issues.. he showed glimpses of toughness.. close in skill.. beautiful disposal.. great decision making.

This lack of intensity talk is rubbish.

His first 10 games 4 of which he played as an emergency coming off the bench.. were well above avg for a 10 game player.

I still remember odd plays of his that I thought.. hell yeah.. that's what I'm looking for. Outstanding pkayer.

Look, the conversation has moved on from there. There's no point in rehashing old ground...

I learnt that line from Fonzie 3.

I'm not overly concerned about what players do at training.. if it works for them.. good enough.

Each player is different.

My concern is those that over do it.. or not do enough.

Clearly Shaz has done enough at training. You don't play the way he does without putting in a decent effort. You only need to see the bloke to understand this.. he's actually a brut.

Look, the conversation has moved on from there. There's no point in rehashing old ground...

I learnt that line from Fonzie 3.

Looks like Fonzie 4 & 5 has entered the building :think:

Swanny was probably shocked as well as to how bad a player Russell was.. what a kreas he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an intraclub match V P........I couldn't understand the hysteria back then from "some" here.
As for Dunn and his last few weeks.......stones & glass houses comes to mind.
Haha. Alternative interpretation was a few got a little precious with the suggestion Shaz was having a slow start to the season. Subsequently that was proven correct when he started in the VFL. The quotes from Bucks and Shaz yesterday was further confirmation.

Credit to Shaz how quickly he bounced back and reconfirmed the view I always had that 2017 was a slow burn and 2018 was the year we would see what he could do

Does feel good to be right CFC

Haha. Alternative interpretation was a few got a little precious with the suggestion Shaz was having a slow start to the season. Subsequently that was proven correct when he started in the VFL. The quotes from Bucks and Shaz yesterday was further confirmation.

Credit to Shaz how quickly he bounced back and reconfirmed the view I always had that 2017 was a slow burn and 2018 was the year we would see what he could do

Does feel good to be right CFC

Not me Fonzie. Never got precious at all.

Bucks was talking porky Pies and Shaz is too nice a bloke :)

Not me Fonzie. Never got precious at all.

Bucks was talking porky Pies and Shaz is too nice a bloke :)
No you are not precious, robust and right. Nice to have something in common eh

I was wrrrrrrrrrrrr............

...................right

I always maintained that Schaz would have to bulk up and play as a key defender to make it and he's done exactly that.

F oath I do.

The proof is in the pudding.

Go check out his stats again partypie in the real stuff.

Yeah no that's not how it works for a player with just 14 games of low to middling form under his belt and I know you know this.

For the record I am fully aware of how he's gone in the 7 games this year and the potential he has - I'm also a massive fan and have been backing Shaz since he started if you care to look back.

Having said that any revisionist argument you might want to put forward doesn't change the fact that, for whatever reason, he wasn't meeting expectations during the pre season for a young player who pretty much everybody hoped would have kicked up another gear with the exposed form he'd shown last year (Shaz even admitted it himself if you actually read his comments).

Hell I could play the revisionist game too and say that the decision to leave him out of Round 1 was a clever ploy from the selection committee to snap him out of the lull he appeared to be in.

It was clearly all an issue with mindset rather than ability and it's a credit to Shaz that he's turned it around so quickly, instead of cracking the shits and spiralling down further, as so often happens in this sort of situation.

I don’t think he will play KPD forever, Howes been used as one before, as has Langdon. Similar to Josh Gibson, all capable, but intercepting abd attacking is their man strength.

Heres a question, if Scharenberg had the support of say Darcy Moore and Lynden Dunn(or just 2 kpd in general), would he play better? I like the idea of him playing on the resting ruck or 3rd tall, with more of a license to attack.

Or does he play better with the responsibility of being our second tall down back?

I don’t think he will play KPD forever, Howes been used as one before, as has Langdon. Similar to Josh Gibson, all capable, but intercepting abd attacking is their man strength.

Heres a question, if Scharenberg had the support of say Darcy Moore and Lynden Dunn(or just 2 kpd in general), would he play better? I like the idea of him playing on the resting ruck or 3rd tall, with more of a license to attack.

Or does he play better with the responsibility of being our second tall down back?
I like him as a 3rd tall. Especially if we are against a two tall forward set up.

You've inspired me to work out how to have an avatar.

Love it.

Now we need to find one for the other Fonz hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back