Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and no, sometimes it is hesitancy to take a risk or shot gun run it making the field move.

I am a big Shaz fan but had play devils advocate on the 20m sideways chip effectiveness. Sometimes its a good option but other times it is not and generally if that receiver of the chip can't move it on quickly then its usually a poor result and momentum killer.
Averages 3.5 rebound 50’s a game, which is above average, and in his best period last year was putting up 6-7 a game which is elite. He might chip sideways sometimes, but I think his lack of attacking might be getting overstated here...

Thanks Mr sarcasm? I think loki04 nailed it. I'd prefer us taking on the game with run rather than the stop & prop game style this encourages.
We don't get stats in the VFL for score involvements or intercept possessions, or ground ball gets or hard ball gets, so sometimes they need to be taken with a grain of salt. He may have taken 10 intercept marks for all we know, but without data I'm not getting totally carried away with one game like some here tend to do.

I don’t favour either approach. I want players who take the right option based on what is in front of them. Someone spreading and providing the safe option is just as important as someone providing a more attacking option. Often the attacking option only opens up because players have spread and provided a number of options to the kicker.

Taking the game on and turning it over will kill you if it happens too often.

I disagree. I think we're always looking for it. Had a couple on Sunday. I think our issue is that we all too frequently let ourselves down on the delivery of that through poor skills but we continue to look for the opportunities.
We're looking for fast breaks from turnovers to zoning outliers who spread into space, but the three blokes running in a wave from behind the ball has disappeared from our game style, as far as i can see. Any wave running is midfielder only. The defenders are preferring to keep shape.

Averages 3.5 rebound 50’s a game, which is above average, and in his best period last year was putting up 6-7 a game which is elite. He might chip sideways sometimes, but I think his lack of attacking might be getting overstated here...
Needs context though. You could get those stats solely going safe down the line.

We're looking for fast breaks from turnovers to zoning outliers who spread into space, but the three blokes running in a wave from behind the ball has disappeared from our game style, as far as i can see. Any wave running is midfielder only. The defenders are preferring to keep shape.

Again I disagree. Crisp, Moore, and Maynard are all happy to go for a run. I just think there needs to be a balance and I think more often than not we get that right. Doggies and the Bombers are among the best teams in the league for running defenders and we're 3-zip against them this year.

Needs context though. You could get those stats solely going safe down the line.

As does the premis that he kicks sideways.

I was commenting on the effectiveness of the sideways chip itself not Matthew Sharenberg's game. Even though he has a propensity to kick "safe" and chip sideways I also know he is capable of hitting up longer targets.

I don’t favour either approach. I want players who take the right option based on what is in front of them. Someone spreading and providing the safe option is just as important as someone providing a more attacking option. Often the attacking option only opens up because players have spread and provided a number of options to the kicker.

Taking the game on and turning it over will kill you if it happens too often.

So you are now saying the same thing as frizzle and I but from the opposite direction.

He is simply stating without seeing how he got his possessions and how he used them he is not going to be claiming next messiah CHB performance, he is saying that he could of had a Joel Bowden type game ( you know the type where he was given the title of 1-2 chip king) and racked them up with little effectiveness. Neither him nor I seen the game which is why he framed it as a questionish response, and knowing Schaz plays safe by default may have led to him questioning the stats vs impact.
If you are over cautious in ball use or movement you can actually be a detriment to the team at stages through a game (of course everything in balance, cant always run and gun or you end up another Harry O running into 3 players constantly).

Discounting this season previously I felt Schaz could use some more dare in his game whether by foot or option chosen, he plays very safe and within himself at AFL level compared to his under 18 days.
I think he has a great footy brain and is a reliable kick but not necessarily damaging by foot due to playing safe by default hopefully as he regains belief and confidence we see a bit of his u18 (attacking) side come through.

I’m going to settle this.

I like him.

He has poise, class, skill and talent.

I like him.

:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to say much.

Better not no hi jinx from me

:)

Just turned on the tv and saw Shaz was back in, now I'm nervous. Hope he gets through okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back