Toast Matthew Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanders - I don't dislike Wright but I don't see him in our best XXII in 2015.

I had a look in the 'Best XXII' thread but couldn't see an entry from you; do you honestly have Wright in your preferred line-up?

Wright over Martin re influence.
Wright not quite as influential as Douglas. Prob in the same rotation as Douglas this year.
Does the hard stuff. 1% stuff. Annoyed me that he held up the play and didn't move ball on quicker at times.
Could of been coaches instruction or fear of burning the ball. Uses the ball well in link play.
Lyons has new 2 yr contract. More like between Wright and Martin who steps up and who goes.

Serious? Would trade him in a heartbeat for a decent deal.
I've seen too many decent deals turn to shit...Wayne Carey, Ronnie Burns and Richard Tambling are three.
The other thing of course is "decent deal" is like the grass that is never greener on the other side.

We are talking about a club champion who was nearly gelded last year...and can work hard and kick goals.
You watch him this year...vB back, new coach demanding team play and to work both ways...he'll thrive and we know what we'll get.
Now tell me what your decent deal is? I don't want you giving me pie in the sky shit either;)

Gee all these great AFC players of the past 5 years - Douglas, VB, Thommo, Reilly, MacKay, Henderson - without that quality we may have missed finals 4 out of the last 5 years......

Harsh on Thommo
Everyone will have a favourite AFC player that it's "harsh " to criticise.

The poster before says its harsh to criticise Douglas. And of course you can't drop the captain.

The fact of the matter is that we have been a shit team for 4 of 5 years.

So who exactly is responsible ?

The poster before says its harsh to criticise Douglas. And of course you can't drop the captain.

Combination of poor administration, including tippett-gate & poor coaching structures have been a bigger factor than blaming a few players.

Tippettgate was post 2010/11

There has been 2 coaches in that period - all their fault?
If you re-read my post - I mentioned that our administration is much to blame for a variety of reasons which I have articulated many times on this board.

However, Craig should have ended earlier & sando was not up to it & imo bailey has been the biggest loss in the footy department that was not replaced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you re-read my post - I mentioned that our administration is much to blame for a variety of reasons which I have articulated many times on this board.

However, Craig should have ended earlier & sando was not up to it & imo bailey has been the biggest loss in the footy department that was not replaced.
So no responsibility on the players ?

I just think we chronically overrate our players who have serially dished up poor performance.

So no responsibility on the players ?

I just think we chronically overrate our players who have serially dished up poor performance.
Sure they need to take some responsibility, nut ultimately if the coaching staff are not getting the best out of them as a wider group, then the coaches need to go. Our structures were horrible. Not a good look when the senior coach is not even communicating with much of his group! Basic poor man management skills.

Confident Phil will weed out the players not meeting his team first principles.

Sanders - I don't dislike Wright but I don't see him in our best XXII in 2015.

I had a look in the 'Best XXII' thread but couldn't see an entry from you; do you honestly have Wright in your preferred line-up?

I object to the idea that 2nd choice players HAVE overtaken regular 22 players. Maybe they will in future, but it's silly to say they have based on nothing at all.

And let's face it I don't know what Walsh will do next year and neither do you.

Wright has averaged 20 games a season for the last 4 years. He's in my 22

Not our best midfielder for 3 of those 5 years

1. I disagree with your first statement. The year that was 'not shit' was due to, in some part, doing things right the preceding years wouldn't you agree? It doesn't just happen overnight.
2. Who is exactly responsible is akin to asking how long is a piece of string.

1. I disagree with your first statement. The year that was 'not shit' was due to, in some part, doing things right the preceding years wouldn't you agree? It doesn't just happen overnight.
2. Who is exactly responsible is akin to asking how long is a piece of string.
Your first point is IMO overly optimistic, even so, it does not really have application to the players, more so development, recruitment etc.

Your second point is with respect, a cop out.

I just find it interesting that everyone here will get the pitch forks out for coaches, admin and the whipping boy players eg Brodie Martin.

No responsibility is ever levelled at senior players who have been on the field consistently during these poor years. Much easier to blame fringe players than those loved players.

Statements like Douglas is an untouchable - like he's Ablett or Pendlebury are just extraordinary IMO and symptomatic of a refusal to hold the entire club responsible for such a poor 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back