Delisted Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a chat to him after the Kangaroos loss a month or so ago, seems like a real genuine bloke who loves the club and you can tell that's the case by the way he plays. He's an absolute bull, he reminds me a lot of Aaron Hamill in the way he goes about it...tough at the man tough at the ball supports his teammates is selfless and represents the club in the best way he can. Has all the trademarks of 'Saints Man' and it's obvious that he's in the leadership group because of it.

I'm in the fan club too. I was pumped when we signed him and he hasn't disappointed me.

His versatility is so important, he is dangerous from anywhere within 60M of goal. I too would like to see him build his tank up a bit more to allow him to spend more time in the midfield rotations but I have a feeling that he will be one of those players that will look so much better once the more mercurial players (Billings, Sinclair etc.) come on.

So is it just his tank that's stopping him from playing as a permanent mid? He seems to have all the speed and power we are lacking there...

So is it just his tank that's stopping him from playing as a permanent mid? He seems to have all the speed and power we are lacking there...
He's such a professional guy you would have thought he would have the tank or atleast will have the ability to gain it

I guess we do lack outside speed aswell so he's used there

In the last season (2nd half of 15'-present) Mav has a real confidence with the footy, backing his pace and I love it, looks almost Dangerfield like at time. His speed, mixed with his endeavour and hardness at the footy makes me question why he hasn't had the chance on ball?

Some may argue kicking but it's not as though Armitage/Steven/Dunstan/Gilbert all who spend time on ball, are any better. Personally I'd like to see Mav have bursts in the middle, along with Billings every game for the remainder of the season.

In the last season (2nd half of 15'-present) Mav has a real confidence with the footy, backing his pace and I love it, looks almost Dangerfield like at time. His speed, mixed with his endeavour and hardness at the footy makes me question why he hasn't had the chance on ball?

Some may argue kicking but it's not as though Armitage/Steven/Dunstan/Gilbert all who spend time on ball, are any better. Personally I'd like to see Mav have bursts in the middle, along with Billings every game for the remainder of the season.

I think it's just his ability to get his ability to get the ball. It may be that his anticipation is not as good as the likes of Steven and Ross. He seems to tick a lot of boxes but for whatever reason just doesn't seem to be the complete footballer.

There is one on the players' board.
We moderators don't mind if people start up a new thread on a player on the main Saints board, just not multiple threads as things get lost and untidy.
This thread will most likely be merged with the existing player thread on the Players' board in time

to Mav
My grandson is named Maverick, (I also have a grandson named Nick, a cat named Gilbert and a dog named Lenny) so the Saints have inspired my family
I know I sound clueless, but how does one find the player board? Its seems that I've looked everywhere, though obviously I haven't.

Another good game today from Mav
Didn't have a heap of it but physicality was a standout
His goal in the third was my highlight of the day, powering past Simpson and banging home
Helped out stuv well too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having met him at a few club things I have to say he is probably the single most polite young guy at the club. He is a super asset off the field and takes time to get around people and represents the club in a way only guys like Lenny and Kosi have done. For a guy who came close to football mortality he came back and has returned with vigour. Absolute gun off field and becoming a super solid on field player. He reminds me of guys like Heath Black and Stephen Powell who weren't superstars but would be first picked in the line up.

Having met him at a few club things I have to say he is probably the single most polite young guy at the club. He is a super asset off the field and takes time to get around people and represents the club in a way only guys like Lenny and Kosi have done. For a guy who came close to football mortality he came back and has returned with vigour. Absolute gun off field and becoming a super solid on field player. He reminds me of guys like Heath Black and Stephen Powell who weren't superstars but would be first picked in the line up.

How did he end up with us? Did we invite him to train? How come we were lucky enough to be the team he ended up training with and proving his worth to?

To think we managed to steal Eli and leave him wondering for the next 18 picks as well.

How did he end up with us? Did we invite him to train? How come we were lucky enough to be the team he ended up training with and proving his worth to?

To think we managed to steal Eli and leave him wondering for the next 18 picks as well.

He was a delisted free agent at GCS and no one wanted him, was invited to train and the rest is history. Apparently he was so pissed off with Campbell Brown being a dick they came to blows in a fist fight that made the papers up north and he was seen as bad news. I watched his last game for them, playing off half back he was close to BOG for them and had about 28 disposals. I couldn't believe they let him go but his papers were obviously already stamped.

He was a delisted free agent at GCS and no one wanted him, was invited to train and the rest is history. Apparently he was so pissed off with Campbell Brown being a dick they came to blows in a fist fight that made the papers up north and he was seen as bad news. I watched his last game for them, playing off half back he was close to BOG for them and had about 28 disposals. I couldn't believe they let him go but his papers were obviously already stamped.

Surprising that no one wanted him. Was a pre-selection, obviously incredibly talented. Undoubtedly a bit of a FIGJAM too and with the culture and crap going on at GC it's not a surprise he didn't click up there. His last game felt like a big **** you to the club as well.

All credit to him, still rates himself highly (but hey, it's good to be confident!) but hasn't put a foot wrong while at the club, only ever hear good stories about him.

Really interested to see where he ends up, don't think he has as high a ceiling as some of our players but he will get the most out of himself, no worries about that.

Took me a long time to come around to him but now I think he can play the Rhys Palmer/Toby Greene and do similar things to what they do at GWS. He seems to be really hitting the scoreboard this year.

I personally just really like watching hard, tough players.

After being behind the goals today (Carlton side unfortunately) it was great to watch how tough Weller, Armitage and Webster were for us all day. Really liked watching all of them really take it up to their opponents. When they (and in particular Weller) were put in positions which they knew would hurt they didn't just stand strong, they completely controlled and 'owned' the space they were in.

In the third quarter I noticed that we switched to a 5 man forward line. When that happened it was really obvious that Mav was directing how the forward line worked. Gresham was constantly looking towards Mav to see where he should be lining up etc. and then Mav would point shortly after. They also seemed to do set plays together, such as both starting on the edge of the box and running in (we goaled from the center that time), all led by Mav.

Last edited:

its funny to look back on it now

apparently he was pretty honest with bluey mckenna on certain things, which mckenna didnt appreciate if i re-call correctly

bluey had to get a job from his old mate. its well documented that his time at GC was a disaster

meanwhile mav is in the leadership group

its funny to look back on it now

apparently he was pretty honest with bluey mckenna on certain things, which mckenna didnt appreciate if i re-call correctly

bluey had to get a job from his old mate. its well documented that his time at GC was a disaster

meanwhile mav is in the leadership group
Mav hasn't exactly been shy with his thoughts on McKenna as a coach since then has he..

A lot of the talk about Gold Coast since McKenna left has been about their lack of leadership, or giving leadership responsibilities to players who maybe just aren't up to it.

And here's Weller, delisted by the Suns for being too challenging, in our leadership and making big claims to being our next captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back