Max Rooke - turning point?

Remove this Banner Ad

jazzadogs

Team Captain
Oct 18, 2005
Blackburn
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In my mind, absolutely. Up until this moment, we were in control. Sure, we failed to convert. But they werent about to hurt us back.

How it was not a free is beyond me. And Dermott and Eddie saying Johnno should have taken the mark, that is irrelevant. He didnt take the mark, but Rooke didnt look at the ball (not at the end at least).

Im not saying we would have won if this had gone our way. But by golly, it sure turned the momentum...

In my mind, absolutely. Up until this moment, we were in control. Sure, we failed to convert. But they werent about to hurt us back.

How it was not a free is beyond me. And Dermott and Eddie saying Johnno should have taken the mark, that is irrelevant. He didnt take the mark, but Rooke didnt look at the ball (not at the end at least).

Im not saying we would have won if this had gone our way. But by golly, it sure turned the momentum...

It was bad timing, but we still would have had to kick 3 goals, we had only done that in the past 2 and 1/2 quarters. Missed shots in the 3rd really hurt as well as a bad 2nd quarter.

Disgraceful decision by the umpire. I've never been so upset with an umpiring decision. It effectively cost us any chance of making the grand final.

Thought we were desparately unlucky in the first half....all the 50/50's seemed to go against us and the bounce of the ball went against us. Eveened up a little in the second half but that Johnno non-decision was significant. Seemed like a major turning point at the time but I think our first few misses in the last quarter were the true killers.

Let's face it...we needed a bit of luck our way if we were going to win tonight....just didn't happen.

Sorry to 'troll' but Yes I think it was a free kick and believe it was a turning point of the game. You guys were def playing better football up til that point and that stopped your momentum.
But I still commend the effort of Rooke to get up and kick the goal and I thought Johno shouyld have marked it, altho as was said that doesnt matter as the free was most likely there.
Rooke did look at the ball for a bit of it and I reckon you guys got very unlikely in that the Umpire probs looked at Rooke as he had eyes on the footy and not the rest of the time.
You guys played very well tonight, very good club the dogs, and wish you all the best in the future.

That was a free kick every day of the week. It killed off your momentum and ruined the game as a spectacle from a neutral perspective. Who was the officiating umpire? If he gets a gig in a grand final it's a disgrace.

Agree - from then on we had lost all momentum.

We should have won, simple as that! Thought Eagleton's poor shot on goal created a disease when we were clearly in control of the game. But maybe thats harsh, he did tackle well tonight.

Thr replay shows Johnno did take the mark and the Rook impact knocked it out. Leigh Mathews said if the umpire looked at the replay, he would have awarded Johnno a free. It was the turning point of the game. We had the running and were on the verge of turning the game our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick of these moments like Libba's goal in the '97 PF or the OP where apparently if various umpires had done the right thing, we'd have been in a GF?

We let the Crows take control in the 4th quarter in '97 and let the Cats get away in the second quarter tonight without being able to score more than a goal.

We simply weren't good enough and the best team won.

And it bloody well pains me to type that too.

That was a free kick every day of the week. It killed off your momentum and ruined the game as a spectacle from a neutral perspective. Who was the officiating umpire? If he gets a gig in a grand final it's a disgrace. Brave effort tonight doggies.

100% spot on. Worst non decision I've ever seen.

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick of these moments like Libba's goal in the '97 PF or the OP where apparently if various umpires had done the right thing, we'd have been in a GF?

We let the Crows take control in the 4th quarter in '97 and let the Cats get away in the second quarter tonight without being able to score more than a goal.

I agree. But in the same vain I don't think anyone actually think this cost us the game, it just cost us a slim chance if we had any. We still had to kick another 3 goals.

I never said that we would have won if the decision had been different. But I would argue its fairly plausible to suggest that the game would not have been exactly the same if a decision had been paid.

I accept that Geelong are a better team, and were tonight.

We should have converted in the 3rd qtr, that hurt just as much as their 2nd qtr dominance.

Um, yeah, so what?

Or are you making a subtle allusion to last Sunday's Dr Who?
So you were saying that I'm deluded and think it cost us the game.

I didnt say that it cost us the game. I said it swung momentum back, after we had been pressing.

We can't say how things would have been otherwise, so maybe im just preparing my mind for the sweet dreams of victory I might enjoy...who knows.

The game was over by that point IMO. The first goal of the last was massive and the longer the game went without it was worse for your mob because you needed a couple quickly to really get the momentum going. It secured 100% the win for Geelong, but no, I don't think it cost you the game.

That in my eyes was not the turning point, it was the sealer.

There never really was a turning point, because other than the first quarter the game was pretty much Geelongs. Don't get me worng, we definitely gave ourselves enough chances, but the only area that we really let ourselves down in was our conversion of chances.

In the third quarter Hahn, Eagleton and Minson all had shots that should have been goals, and all kicked points. That was our downfall, we didn't take our chances.

That in my eyes was not the turning point, it was the sealer.

There never really was a turning point, because other than the first quarter the game was pretty much Geelongs. Don't get me worng, we definitely gave ourselves enough chances, but the only area that we really let ourselves down in was our conversion of chances.

In the third quarter Hahn, Eagleton and Minson all had shots that should have been goals, and all kicked points. That was our downfall, we didn't take our chances.
I think your first sentence actually sums up what I feel. Ive been saying turning point all night, but 'sealer' is more apt.

When I said turning point, I meant more that it was the moment from which we were not going to win. Which is better described by 'sealer'. So apologies for saying turning point (thats for you Dry Rot and Butane :p).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back