• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So with McCluggage as a proper Wing and Tarranto the Inside Mid, McGrath is...Sort of the half back flanker come midfielder a bit?

Fair to say its:
Tarranto
McCluggage
McGrath going into 2020.
McGrath is a bonafide back pocket.

79A845A6-30F0-4349-A8AD-9977C8E08A5E.jpeg

He has played almost exclusively on the wing this year, getting more of it in the defensive half which is where the ball spends most of its time in a typical Essendon game lol

Sounds like a convoluted way of saying half-back flank, as his heat map suggests.

They are close, and McCluggage does have the All AA over him, but extractors are probably more important than dishers imo

Extractors are easier to find than a Pendlebury clone like McCluggage. We picked up Lyons for nothing and he compares well stats wise with Taranto, in fact ahead in several key areas

So glad I voted for Taranto, had greatness written all over him from day one.

McGrath doesn't really belong in the conversation with the other two and will be lucky to become a top 50 AFL player at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty clear who the best of the three is though. McCluggage was close to, if not BOG in a final and has made the AA squad twice.

So far, they're 22 and still developing. McGrath arguably had the better season this year until his injury. Taranto has a B&F in a Grand Final team.

So far, they're 22 and still developing. McGrath arguably had the better season this year until his injury. Taranto has a B&F in a Grand Final team.
Yep not only that, but McGrath literally carried our midfield whereas McCluggage has Zorko, Berry, Lyons and Neale.

McGrath is our only mid that runs defensively and bust his guts week in week out. Would've been AA squad at least if not for his injury.

Clug having a season as good as Taranto last year.
Goalkicking looks a bit of an issue this season, but still, quite the gun.

McGrath seems to be Mr Consistency without breaking out ahead of the other two. I'd like to see us fix our midfield and see what Andy brings game wise.

Yep not only that, but McGrath literally carried our midfield whereas McCluggage has Zorko, Berry, Lyons and Neale.

McGrath is our only mid that runs defensively and bust his guts week in week out. Would've been AA squad at least if not for his injury.
I'd agree that McClugg is an icing-on-top sort of player. He probably isnt going to individually carry a team on his shoulders (ala Judd or Cripps) but he will kill teams if you get the ball in his hands

I love what I saw from McGrath this year and you are right in his time defending has helped him keep that side of his game. I wonder what he could be if you had that proper killer inside mid to feed him the ball more

Back