McLeod doesn't feel like past players are welcome at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

The club was born out of a complete disdain for Victorian football culture. Now I know that's an ironic statement, given we joined a victorian competition, but the essence of our passion for the Crows was the desire to beat them in their own competition. We joined because we really had no choice, but having done so, we held on to a tribal passion that was founded in State of Origin rivalry, player pillaging by the Vics, and a general anti Vic attitude. They talk about rivalry in football, but our rivalry with Victoria was akin to the NSW v QLD rivalry in Rugby League.

Through the 90's, it continued to fuel us. The majority of our players were South Australian, our successes came from South Australian coaches, we marched the streets in the tens of thousands when we achieved the ultimate goal. Since then, though, things changed. Through the draft mechanisms and the increased "national" flavour of the competition, our roots were diluted. How can you bring interstate players into a culture of "Kick a Vic"? Great South Australian administrators like Bill Sanders moved on, our playing list became more diverse, our brand became more corporate. Slowly but surely the connection between the present and the reason we exist (along with the source of the fuel that lit our fire) has disappeared. Sadly, ex players who have taken over in various roles at the club have placed more importance on greasing the Corporate wheels than maintaining our heritage.

Phil Walsh knew all this when he entered the club. He saw us for what we had become and didn't like it. Being a passionate man, he was the type to value history and soul at a footy club, and he knew we didnt have much. His words during his time with us, reflected a desire to recreate that passion, set standards and build an ethos. The great thing about Phil was, he wasn't just going to key into the club's history, he was going to build a culture that was sustainable - work ethic, mateship, elite standards. Things that a kid from WA or VIC could buy into, things that would make them love the club, despite its location and foundation.

The biggest failure of our current administrators, the thing that shits me more than anything about where we are at, is that the very people that employed Phil and stood behind him as he began to lead us in a new, authentic direction, is that they havent followed through on his vision since he left us. Roo saw something in Phil at Dean's funeral that made him want to bring him to the club, yet Roo himself has forgotten why that was. Chapman, Ricciutto and Fagan saw first hand what a mesmerising, inspiring character Phil was and they completely bought into his ethos. It is SO SAD that they didnt have the passion and leadership to take up the reigns following Phil's passing, and implement the cultural standards that Phil had sought to build.

We should be building a culture that values our beginnings, honours our past greats and builds on the ethos that Phil put forward. Elite standards. Team ethic, personal ownership and responsibility. That's a sustainable ethos. That's something that will transcend our beginnings, much like the bloods culture ethos at Sydney. Im so disappointed in Chapman, Roo and Fagan. They saw what they wanted, had the template in front of them, and havent had the courage or standards to pick up the baton. I don't know who is going to have the courage to do so, but until we find that person, we'll continue to be a soulless Corporate franchise. And in 20 years time, we wont be filling Adelaide Oval, because we won't have given the kids of today anything to support.

I'd suggest the SANFL's disdain of the Port Adelaide football club is more accurate! :)

David Penberthy has his say on radio ....

FIVEaa’s David Penberthy says Andrew McLeod’s comments that “something is wrong” at the Adelaide Crows are hurting the club and are difficult to understand given the “generosity showered” on him by Adelaide FC.

Speaking on Friday’s FIVEaa breakfast show Penbo said he had a “different view with this” and would “say what I think” despite his wife Kate Ellis being a board member at the Adelaide Crows:

Pembos wife is part of the AFC mafia though.

Am I dreaming?

I get home from hospital, i put the news on and it’s Rodney Jameson calling Andrew McLeod a temperamental old soul

Has he not learned to shut up still?

Rule 1 of being on a board: shut up

Am I dreaming?

I get home from hospital, i put the news on and it’s Rodney Jameson calling Andrew McLeod a temperamental old soul

We might not be very good at football, but geez we produce some comedic gems.

And even if you are and you’ve got something not positive to say, you’re wrong and you can fu** off. And we’ll roll out every hopelessly conflicted peanut to help run you out of town.

They seem to be taking their queues from the Chinese Communist Party. First act like a victim and the second that doesn't achieve the desired results go back to being a bully. And repeat when needed. I can't believe the thing the AFC has in common with the CCP is propaganda style. FML

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Penberthy has his say on radio ....

FIVEaa’s David Penberthy says Andrew McLeod’s comments that “something is wrong” at the Adelaide Crows are hurting the club and are difficult to understand given the “generosity showered” on him by Adelaide FC.

Speaking on Friday’s FIVEaa breakfast show Penbo said he had a “different view with this” and would “say what I think” despite his wife Kate Ellis being a board member at the Adelaide Crows:

What I want to know is why is this being raised now on the eve of the footy season?

I’ll be interested if he is willing to be interviewed by anyone in the media that he agrees with so we can actually get to the bottom of this.

I’m not totally comfortable with any of this - something is amiss. We need to get to the whole truth.

I’m not backing any side, I’m not going to get into a anti-Roo, anti-Chapman or anti-McLeod like a lot of posters on here. I just want to understand why and why now?

What I want to know is why is this being raised now on the eve of the footy season?

I’ll be interested if he is willing to be interviewed by anyone in the media that he agrees with so we can actually get to the bottom of this.

I’m not totally comfortable with any of this - something is amiss. We need to get to the whole truth.

I’m not backing any side, I’m not going to get into a anti-Roo, anti-Chapman or anti-McLeod like a lot of posters on here. I just want to understand why and why now?

“It’s unfortunate that’s how I feel, but happy to have a conversation like I did with Mark Ricciuto on Tuesday, telling him that our club needs tangible authenticity by creating a culture that makes you feel welcome, like you belong and are valued, no matter who you may be,” he said.

Despite the harsh words, McLeod reiterated he had nothing but love for his old stomping ground that he helped lead to ultimate glory.

“Please don’t be misconstrued, I love my club, I’m as passionate as anyone about it and I want to see it achieve great success, like the tens of thousands of people who call the Adelaide Crows their team, I want them to have a better experience with our football club,” he said.

It is the most articulate criticsm of our club I've ever heard and the most resonating.

I reckon now because someone took the time to ask, that's the point really isnt it.

He's one of the greatest players we've ever had and no one has asked what he thinks of the place.

Last edited:
Roo's problem is he has never been out if the AFL bubble and he has built his wealth on nepotism.

He came to the club as s 16 year old.
He built a pub empire with the guidance of Peter Hurley
He got media gigs, despite being a poor communicator, on the back of his AFL career.

He is a product of the insular nature of the Football industry. They join as kids, make few real life choices without club (or club patron) assistance and in reality don't grow up. The longer the career the more "institutionalised" they are.
They are essentially man childs. Once retired many still cling to the Footy Industry ie media/clubland as they can't face the real world.

As a board member Roo used his experience to appoint people. His experience is nepotism, and football.

Love the guy and the fact he is trying his best to get our club to succeed.

But he just is not intelligent enough to be a board member with as much power that he has.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Uber salient

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Am I dreaming?

Welcome back Deaneus. That that your Ok and managing through your health issues.

Can anyone share the article that's just gone up on Adelaide Now regarding McLeod?
This one? (Main points only)

Paul Starick: Former Adelaide Crow star Andrew McLeod should stand for club chairman

The Adelaide Crows’ greatest player, Andrew McLeod, should put his hand up – not just to be on the club’s board, but to lead it, to steer the cultural change he is demanding.
McLeod this week showed the courage and conviction he majestically displayed on the footy field, revealing adroit political talent.

The two-time Norm Smith Medallist, 43, did not name Crows’ chief Andrew Fagan but it was not hard to see he was the prime target.

Yet fellow club legend and current board member Mark Ricciuto, who is surprisingly sensitive to professional criticism, tried to paint McLeod as undermining the Crows by declaring his comments were “the last thing the football club needs”.

Rather, this challenge is exactly what the club needs

Based on the integrity, humility and conviction he has shown, McLeod would make an excellent chairman, supported by those with financial and governance expertise.

He should put himself forward to implement it.

This one? (Main points only)

Paul Starick: Former Adelaide Crow star Andrew McLeod should stand for club chairman

The Adelaide Crows’ greatest player, Andrew McLeod, should put his hand up – not just to be on the club’s board, but to lead it, to steer the cultural change he is demanding.
McLeod this week showed the courage and conviction he majestically displayed on the footy field, revealing adroit political talent.

The two-time Norm Smith Medallist, 43, did not name Crows’ chief Andrew Fagan but it was not hard to see he was the prime target.

Yet fellow club legend and current board member Mark Ricciuto, who is surprisingly sensitive to professional criticism, tried to paint McLeod as undermining the Crows by declaring his comments were “the last thing the football club needs”.

Rather, this challenge is exactly what the club needs

Based on the integrity, humility and conviction he has shown, McLeod would make an excellent chairman, supported by those with financial and governance expertise.

He should put himself forward to implement it.
I just don't think Bunji would do it, plus he would need a total overhaul of the board to make it work

My interpretation of his clarification was that when you walk into the Crows Club their is essentially nothing that tells the story of the past. Everything has been packed away and the club is lifeless and void of culture. Im wondering why on earth all the memorabilia and photos and things that make us a club are packed away. It really cheapens the past player experience. Its like they never mattered.
Yep that’s my take too. It used to be wonderful to walk in and see all the history (and we don’t have much, but FFS we need to share what we have!). He has made very succinct points that need to be addressed by the Club. Why have we packed everything away? It’s not like we’ve got anywhere to go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back