Meaning behind certain footy sayings

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The other day I posted on here that Marchbank "had it on a string" the other night against St.Kilda. The next day I realised I had no idea where that saying comes from. Where does it originate from? Is it a reference to yoyos?

Then it made me think, there must be heaps of other sayings that are often used in footy parlance, and I have no idea where many of them originate from. I'm sure peeps here can think of others. Here's another ... "kick it a country mile". Why a country mile? Is a country mile longer than a city mile?

The other day I posted on here that Marchbank "had it on a string" the other night against St.Kilda. The next day I realised I had no idea where that saying comes from. Where does it originate from? Is it a reference to yoyos?

Then it made me think, there must be heaps of other sayings that are often used in footy parlance, and I have no idea where many of them originate from. I'm sure peeps here can think of others. Here's another ... "kick it a country mile". Why a country mile? Is a country mile longer than a city mile?
Would say they're both pretty self explanatory. Not sure it needs a whole thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Delicious."

Please explain.

"Delicious" [adj]

Origin: McAvaneyism

Meaning: An event that excites Bruce McAvaney almost to the point of climax

Example: That passage of play by Cyril was just delicious.

Note: sits one rung below 'special' on the McAvaney over-excitement meter.

Ball on a string probably derives from the old paddle ball toy.

tta1654_paddle_ball_classic__37961-323x520.jpg

The saying that confuses me is the reference to 'the fat side' often used by Dwayneo. Pretty sure i heard Roos tonight referring to 'the thin side'.

My guess is the fat side refers to the open side or the area where there are few players. Why it is the fat side I am not sure.:huh:

The saying that confuses me is the reference to 'the fat side' often used by Dwayneo. Pretty sure i heard Roos tonight referring to 'the thin side'.

My guess is the fat side refers to the open side or the area where there are few players. Why it is the fat side I am not sure.:huh:

Fat = wide

Fat side is the widest part of the ground when as you say there are fewer players within that area. When a player switches the play from the congested flank they are kicking it to the fat side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back