Competitions Melbourne Board SuperCoach Comp – 2024 (all spots filled)

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, have to start somewhere! I'd recommend taking a look at the Rate My Preseason Team thread and getting a general consensus for your starting side. The most important part initially will be nailing the rookie-priced players, so keep an eye on how some of the rookies look this week in the praccys. Main ones to consider at this stage would be:

DEF: Gibcus, Coffield, Reid, Phillips, Curtin, Pink
MID: McKercher, Sanders, Sharp, Sinn, Clark, Wehr, Roberts, Hustwaite
RUC: Naismith, Conway, Sweet (or Maley/Livingstone for the cheapest captaincy loophole option)
FWD: Reid, Lazarro, Windsor, Wilson, Sexton, Macrae, Darcy, Cadman, Brown

Pending how they go this week, pick between 13-16 of these guys, then fill out your team with premiums around them. Be mindful of the fact that Round 0 doesn't count towards your SuperCoach score, so any R0 players you take will play one less game for the year due to the second bye.

Happy to answer any questions :)
First attempt at a team after having a squiz at the Supercoach board.

1709432394888.png

My basic takeaway was it seems to be pretty standard practice to spend the majority of your money on your big points getters then fill out the bottom half of your team with rookies and cheap players on the bench. Also seems good to find anyone expected to play a lot of midfield time in your forward or backline.

First attempt at a team after having a squiz at the Supercoach board.

View attachment 1918349

My basic takeaway was it seems to be pretty standard practice to spend the majority of your money on your big points getters then fill out the bottom half of your team with rookies and cheap players on the bench. Also seems good to find anyone expected to play a lot of midfield time in your forward or backline.
Both points bang on as a general rule.

Typically, the 'guns and rookies' approach is like:
  • Low-priced players generally have a lower 'break-even', meaning the score they need to achieve on the weekend to hold their price/value.
  • Because of this, they typically go up a lot in value if they play (value doesn't change if they don't play).
  • After some weeks, you can then trade one rookie down to another rookie (make money), and trade another up to a premium player with that money gain.

So eventually, you sort of end up with a team of premium players if all goes well by the end of the year.

TooSerious used to be a good site for this type of stuff, but I can't seem to access it - is that still a thing, Scythe94?

Both points bang on as a general rule.

Typically, the 'guns and rookies' approach is like:
  • Low-priced players generally have a lower 'break-even', meaning the score they need to achieve on the weekend to hold their price/value.
  • Because of this, they typically go up a lot in value if they play (value doesn't change if they don't play).
  • After some weeks, you can then trade one rookie down to another rookie (make money), and trade another up to a premium player with that money gain.

So eventually, you sort of end up with a team of premium players if all goes well by the end of the year.

TooSerious used to be a good site for this type of stuff, but I can't seem to access it - is that still a thing, Scythe94?
Ohhhh, so you want a lot of guys who are cheapish early that you can then trade out for extra cash to buy higher quality players.

I thought trading was mostly to replace injured or underperforming players.

Ohhhh, so you want a lot of guys who are cheapish early that you can then trade out for extra cash to buy higher quality players.

I thought trading was mostly to replace injured or underperforming players.
Absolutely the case, yep. Trading is for both of those purposes, but you have so many trades now (used to have way fewer) that you can use them strategically to improve your overall squad.

Sorry, missed this Headless Bluelegs

Some of my favourite resources:

For general advice, the SuperCoach board on BF is a good place to go. Helpful tips thread has some more links.

Bluelegs putting some of us more seasoned campaigners to shame. Good score first up
Still trying to work out the trading system. It turns out 5 of my players did not play on the weekend :moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back