Competition Merger Of The Week 11 - Your Choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Your choice: You can choose what and how many AFL* teams you merge.

*current or former

Max 5 entries
Closes 18:34:07WST 6/9/2010

Note: Mergers of all 16 current AFL teams are not allowed or no combinations of teams that have been in previous MOTWs (Tigerdrives RFC and WCE merger is excluded from this rule)

Quick one that I just rebranded from a previous KOTW (there's a 5 entry maximum afterall).

collingwoodhaws.png

Simple story, after today's result, Eddie McGuire gets angry and buys out Hawthorn.

Originally proposed in a "photoshop" in 1993 in The Age, before "photoshop" was even a verb :) An article about mergers and how they can be possible without angst, profiling Woodville-West Torrens... it was accompanied by graphics of other proposed mergers (Fitzroy Bulldogs, Melbourne/North Melbourne etc).

The Age suggested this one in picture only: the Waverley Hawks. Click here for full view

wavhawks.png

I went from memory to create the front of the home jumper. The rest is all my own interpretation. The Alternate jumper is because it could be away or clash, haven't decided.

The rationale behind this merger: it is 1992, Hawthorn and St Kilda both finish in the final six but the following season still muster barely 20,000 members between them. The two tenants of Waverley Park formulate a plan to merge, with a focus on harnessing the growing south-eastern suburbs as a support base. The Waverley Hawks perform confidently in the 1994 season, finishing 6th; in the Qualifying Final against North Melbourne, the scores are tied at the final siren, but Waverley manages to overpower the Kangaroos. Waverley sends Carlton packing in the Semi Final, but falls in the Preliminary when Geelong posts a comfortable victory. This talented team has made its mark and its supporters mobilise, sending its membership rates soaring over the next 5 years.

Port Adelaide Demons

This entry is based on the 2 home jumpers I like the most in the AFL. I have put the Port Adelaide "V" in the place where the Melbourne yoke is so they are both together.

Entry #2: Merger of Fitroy and University Football Club.

In 1919, at the end of WW1, University Football Club found itself short of players due to player deaths in the war, and were trying rigorously to attract players to the club, but with poor on field results, found it an impossible task. Fitzroy, interested in many of University's remaining players started trying to lure them to their club and effectively kill off University.

However, the remaining players were loyalists and refused to leave and attempted to try to rebuild their side once more, but to no success. So, a compromise was made, Fitzroy would merge with University, and therefore allow the players to come over to Fitzroy without losing the legacy of University Football club.

There original jumper is below, a recoloured version of University's jumper, which is basically the design Fitzroy had at the time anyway.

universitylions.png

This club then became very successful, and therefore the merger between Brisbane and Fitzroy never occurred, and this club still exists today. The home jumper now has the yoke filled in and the colours have been reversed, the stripe at the bottom retained to keep in with the heritage of University. In 1982 a insignia has been created and was placed on the jumper, much to the disgust of Carlton, who have been crosstown rivals for a century. The clash jumper is a white version of the home, the club not willing to move too far away from its current jumper.

fiztuni.png

Note: The bottom image is the official entry, the first is just to give the jumpers a bit of a back story.

Ganty - try merging Port with North Melbourne... in some circles it'd be suggested that it happens for real...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it Easty. One thing though, I think the insignia is a bit overpowering and needs to be downsized a bit, at least on the home.

Also, anyone got any suggestions for me on what teams to merge??

I tried the smaller version and I didn't really like it, I just felt that when it was smaller I felt with the rest of the jumper it just didn't really serve a purpose, to me it looked like it didn't belong there. Each to their own I guess.

Also Hawthorn + Essendon. Alot of options there.

Entry #2.
Backstory: In the 1970s, Essendon and South Melbourne decide to join forces so that they might take that extra step towards success - not to mention set up some financial security as VFL supremo Allen Aylett is looking for a team to move up to Sydney. The new team, the Southern Jets, is born. (The name "Bombers" is considered somewhat sensitive given rising terrorist attacks and the recent war in Vietnam.)

southern_jets.png

@EastyAhh thats fair enough. Yeh I cant think of anything off-hand for that merger but will think about it some more. Thanks.

@onyacoxyIll make a plain royal jumper with a logo and it will be accepted as their home :p

@OmegavilleMy favourite design+my favourite colours=my favourite jumper

I'll try and do a couple for this one, I know the first will be Fitzroy and North Melb (as was fairly close to happening). Might even give Melbourne & Hawthorn a go, though I don't know how different to the floated Melbourne Hawks design it would be.

Props to Easty for the excellent idea of doing an original jumper, then one that's evolved over time, as the other clubs would have done. May use that as a basis for one of my own!

Fitzroy Lions
In 1989 Footscray were in financial turmoil and the AFL were looking to knock off (merge) one of the Victorian team. Footscray and Fitzroy were merged (Footscray were absorbed) then a group of Footscray die-hards tried to get a court injuction to stop the merger, but failed.

It was about this time that Port Adelaide were knocking on the door trying to get into the AFL. The AFL decided to move the new combined FFFC (Fitzroy Footscray FC, but still known as FFC) to Renown Park in SA, where there was a Fitzroy Lions FC playing in the SAAFL that was a recent merger of 3 clubs. the Ammos FFC were taken over by the AFL FFFC. Port Adelaide was also granted an AFL license in 1990.

FFFC had to choose half their squad from each of the two merged teams. Port then got dibs on any of the left over players and the players that were left over were free to approch clubs of their choice or nominate for the draft.

In my alternate history there is no Crows (FFFC took their spot), the Lions are still the Bears, there are no Western Bulldogs, and Port are the Raiders not the Power :)

Their original jumpers after the merger (before sub-lamination)
fitzroylions1990prescopy.png

The colours are all Fitzroy's in 1990, the logo is Fitzroy's in 1990 and the hoops are Footscray's in 1990. The red outline on the FFC is red stiching to make the monogram stand out same goes for the number on the back. (This is not an entry, just part of the back story)

fitzroylions2011prescopy.png

On the home, away and vic the hoops have been moved up like the WB did (but they dont exist in my alternate history :)) and the yellow hoop on the back has been taken off. FFFC has been added to the back of the neck. The Fitzroy Lions decided to honour Footscray and draw more Victorian members by making a royal, red and whate jumper. The lion on the clash is the modern one that was designed by someone (cant remember who off-hand) in response to the Paddle Pop Lion.

In another universe, the success of the Brisbane Bears in queensland is a disaster, membership numbers were the lowest in the league by a large margin and the teams on field performance was just as bad.

In Victoria membership numbers were peaking and clubs were fighting to keep their top stars as clubs were fighting to try and atract the sponsorship dollar.

So the AFL decided to make a major move and decided that two Victorian clubs needed to merge and relocate to a new city to open up the market.

So in 1996 the two Victorian clubs with the worst records and lowest membership numbers (Fitzroy Lions and Richmond Tigers) were forced to merge and relocate. But in a further twist the AFL decided to also merge the Brisbane Bears with this new team as they felt their experiment into Queensland had failed.

Further to this the new club was to be relocated to Sydney where the league was flurishing and as such the AFL felt that the city could handle a second club.

But what to name the team..........many suggestions were thrown about but the suggestion of a 10 year old girl became a favourite between the club, players and the people of Sydney.

She Suggested that the club should be called the Emerald City Emeralds. Her reasoning for this is that the three clubs mascots were a Lion, a Tiger and a Bear, and a famous line from her favourite movie The Wizard of Oz and spoken by the character Dorothy is "Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!" and a major part of the movie is the Emerald City, which also happens to be a nickname for Sydney.

So from this suggestion the club officially announced that the name of the club was going to be called the Emerald City Emeralds.

The logo is designed to feature elements of the AFL's logo and a fantasy design of the Emerald cities towers.

The club decided to go with the colours of blue, green and white and went with a radical design for their home guernsey which the club claimed was a representation of one of the towers of the "city". The clash guernsey is more traditional and features two green vertical stripes with a blue stripe diving them.

EmeraldCity.png

10wqfkj.png

Southern Sharks
Port Adelaide and Adelaide merger. No real back story but its modelled on the Southern Redbacks, who have a Crows colour (red) and a Port colour (black) in their strip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back