Metallica - 72 Seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah agreed on Hetfields vocals, great effort by him. And enjoy Amsterdam, will be awesome no doubt!

The album is growing on me, it’s a decent listen. I’m interested to see if I still go back to it in a year, I haven’t with St Anger, DM and Hardwired really, I still go back to Load/Reload

I've listened to Hardwired a couple of times in the past week.. half a banger!

I certainly didn't think much of it at the time of its release. Maybe the same will happen for 72

I thought the album was alright and give it about a 6 out of ten.

A few problems were too many songs/riffs sounding the same and none of the tracks made me want to listen to them straight again.

I guess they have 12 tracks so they can make money from streaming but I think it would have been a much better listen it if was culled down to 8-9 tracks.

Ok so from what I can remember the set list was something like

Orion
King nothing
The Day that never comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Ride the lightning
For whom the bell tolls
Seek and destroy
Lux Aeterna
Screaming Suicide
Sleepwalk My Life Away
Fuel
Nothing else matters
Holier than thou
Sad but true
Fade to black

Not in that order, and I might have missed a couple... Was pretty sloshed

Funnest Metallica gig I have ever been to. You know when they open with Orion that you are in for a good night, set the tone so perfect 👌

The support acts sounded good, but the stage is so big that honestly where I was standing, we just saw Wolfgang from Mammoth run around for a few minutes, didn't see nearly anyone else from the whole band as they were playing on the other side. I don't really care as they were just the support but honestly, if you're paying €400 for a ticket, you want your full moneys worth and the support acts just didn't cut it when you can't see them. Similarly frustrating for Metallica. Okay they all spent equal amounts of time in full view, but they also spent equal time out of view. Decided I'm really not a fan of this centre stage thing they've got going on. It's like missing half the show and the magic of a live gig because the full band are never playing together, one guy is almost always 30m away from the next guy. It's way better when they are all in front of you and projecting together to the whole audience. Not 1 guy in each corner playing for a quarter of the crowd.

All in all even despite that, they sounded better than any other show I've seen them, we even had a little mosh in my section for Battery, Seek and Master which I haven't seen in any Metallica show I've been to, they all been pretty sedate.

Early entry was a joke, still had to line up for an hour and it was not at all noticeable to be in there early, so if they offer this when they go to Australia I would really just avoid that 'early access' bullshit and just buy a general ticket. I got a 'free' thermos with it too, which I had to keep in my jacket pocket the whole show. It was just annoying honestly.

But when you have the opportunity to see them, you have to take it. They do know how to put on a show.
Saturday should be good, I'm sure the set list will include
Enter sandman
One
Creeping death

And hopefully a few more from AJFA and Master... Opening with Call of Ktulu would be killer after Orion tonight

How was it my man? Geez you're in a good spot.

Cool setlist too, Orion as an opener! No Sandman which is very rare for them, I wonder if that continues

They play two shows and don't repeat any song, so I'm sure it will definitely be part of the second show

Orion
King nothing
The Day that never comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Ride the lightning
For whom the bell tolls
Seek and destroy
Lux Aeterna
Screaming Suicide
Sleepwalk My Life Away
Fuel
Nothing else matters
Holier than thou
Sad but true
Fade to black

Funnest Metallica gig I have ever been to. You know when they open with Orion that you are in for a good night, set the tone so perfect 👌

The support acts sounded good, but the stage is so big that honestly where I was standing, we just saw Wolfgang from Mammoth run around for a few minutes, didn't see nearly anyone else from the whole band as they were playing on the other side. I don't really care as they were just the support but honestly, if you're paying €400 for a ticket, you want your full moneys worth and the support acts just didn't cut it when you can't see them. Similarly frustrating for Metallica. Okay they all spent equal amounts of time in full view, but they also spent equal time out of view. Decided I'm really not a fan of this centre stage thing they've got going on. It's like missing half the show and the magic of a live gig because the full band are never playing together, one guy is almost always 30m away from the next guy. It's way better when they are all in front of you and projecting together to the whole audience. Not 1 guy in each corner playing for a quarter of the crowd.

All in all even despite that, they sounded better than any other show I've seen them, we even had a little mosh in my section for Battery, Seek and Master which I haven't seen in any Metallica show I've been to, they all been pretty sedate.

Early entry was a joke, still had to line up for an hour and it was not at all noticeable to be in there early, so if they offer this when they go to Australia I would really just avoid that 'early access' bullshit and just buy a general ticket. I got a 'free' thermos with it too, which I had to keep in my jacket pocket the whole show. It was just annoying honestly.

But when you have the opportunity to see them, you have to take it. They do know how to put on a show.
Enter sandman
One
Creeping death

And hopefully a few more from AJFA and Master... Opening with Call of Ktulu would be killer after Orion tonight

Oh yeah that's the two night thing, now it makes sense they missed Sandman. Glad they sounded good, I'm sort of not that sold on Het's guitar tone these days, I'm sure I'll catch a live vid.

How did Kirk play? His solos can get pretty sloppy live unfortunately, not sure he has a regimented practice routine these days.

Enjoy Saturday, and yeah I won't miss the next tour (in 2028 probably)

Oh yeah that's the two night thing, now it makes sense they missed Sandman. Glad they sounded good, I'm sort of not that sold on Het's guitar tone these days, I'm sure I'll catch a live vid.

How did Kirk play? His solos can get pretty sloppy live unfortunately, not sure he has a regimented practice routine these days.

Enjoy Saturday, and yeah I won't miss the next tour (in 2028 probably)
Yeah Kirk was a bit sloppy, he nailed the classics but was really noticeable him fumbling around the newer songs solos and even James stuffed up a bit during The Day that Never Comes intro

Yeah Kirk was a bit sloppy, he nailed the classics but was really noticeable him fumbling around the newer songs solos and even James stuffed up a bit during The Day that Never Comes intro

Geez Kirk you expect but James rarely stuffs up, interesting. But sometimes you need to not worry about it too much and just jump around and have fun like it seems you did!

Orion
King nothing
The Day that never comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Ride the lightning
For whom the bell tolls
Seek and destroy
Lux Aeterna
Screaming Suicide
Sleepwalk My Life Away
Fuel
Nothing else matters
Holier than thou
Sad but true
Fade to black

Enter sandman
One
Creeping death

how was the reception to the songs off of the new album ?

which tickets did you get? as youre putting doubts in me head about ponying up for front row if/when the come to Aus, by saying you couldnt see them all play together in one space.

Unpopular opinion incoming:
One thing I dont like,is the lyrics are just naff.
I prefer angry Hetfield with something to say and prove.
But he is not 22 anymore.
He is now a rich troubled rock star getting all in his therapy and going all Taylor Swift on the lyrics.
Which is of course his right.
Will always love him, but I cant stand a second of this album.
its all babys first riff stuff repeated far too many times and those GOD DAMN snare fills Lars persists with.
Really enjoyed alot of tracks from Hardwired, loved Death Magnetic, this is just phoning it in.
But its Metallica, so it'll do for many.
ANY other band known or otherwise released stuff like this, you would never hear of it and it would sink into oblivion immediately.
I stumbled into this thread so decided to idly read through it - and this really caught my attention. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong in regards to Metallica, but there’s a brilliant line in this, applicable to any number of once rebellious rock stars who have now aged and mellowed. One could build a pretty good song around this -
“… But he is not 22 anymore. / He is now a rich troubled rock star /
getting all in his therapy / and going all Taylor Swift on the lyrics
…”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how was the reception to the songs off of the new album ?

which tickets did you get? as youre putting doubts in me head about ponying up for front row if/when the come to Aus, by saying you couldnt see them all play together in one space.
Lux Aeterna got a good reception, the other two I guess the crowd were a bit less in to. I think 3 was the right amount of new songs to play. I got the 'Frantic experience', but its for both shows... Maybe it was a different system for EU
Screenshot_20230428_092628_Chrome.jpg

But like I said, completely not worth it. The bastards wouldn't even give me a big beer as the 'complimentary' drink, you only get a small one. After forking out €400 you'd think they could spare an extra 200ml?

See what I mean about the stage. This looks like it was in the 'snakepit' so the view is a little better, but picture yourself on the outside of this ring and only being able to see one mic set up.

Yes, I saw other footage where someone was near where the Bass player started the gig and that person had to turn around both sides to see where the other members were.

Did Lars drum kit move around to different parts of the stage?

Yes, I saw other footage where someone was near where the Bass player started the gig and that person had to turn around both sides to see where the other members were.

Did Lars drum kit move around to different parts of the stage?
Yeah he had 3 or 4 set up around the stage, he was near where I was at the start and then didn't really see him again after the first few songs

So I got what I wished for here... Call of Ktulu opener and a killer setlist really...
Leper Messiah
Until it Sleeps
Whiskey in the Jar
One
Enter Sandman
If Darkness Had a Son
72 Seasons
Moth into Flame
Unforgiven
Figh Fire with Fire
Creeping Death
Wherever I may Roam
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Harvester of Sorrow
You Must Burn

But I have to say I had much more fun at night one. I said it before but I have to reiterate. This stage is absolute DOG s**t. The first night it was bearable, first night of Metallica, every one is excited, the vibe was good. But today it was insanely noticeable just how little you can even see them. I was actually contemplating walking out halfway through the show. We literally saw nearly nothing. James played maybe two and a half songs in front of us, the rest of the show he was completely out of view. Lars I could squint and see maybe three songs. Rob was by us a bit more, maybe 4 songs. But honest to god, I'm not exaggerating when I say that for at least 6 songs, NONE of them were in view.
It was an absolute disgrace when you fork out so much for a ticket. If this stage set up continues and you are thinking of going, DO NOT GET A FLOOR TICKET.

I'm actually angry to be honest.

A pretty good spread of their popular songs for both nights.

It will be interesting to see if these 2 setlists are the main 2 used or are they are really going to mix it up for each city.

If I could only go to one night I'd probably choose setlist 2 for One and Welcome Home.

The stage, well....if they like it...
No way known I would want any band I was in playing on anything like that.

The stage, well....if they like it...
No way known I would want any band I was in playing on anything like that.

It makes it tough for the support acts too. In 2010 they had a simllar stage and Baroness and Lamb of God were all at sea in a lot of ways, still played great but it was a different world to them. It's tough enough opening for Metallica without having to put up with that I'd reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back