MICKY TURNER-PANCREATIC CANCER

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies if already mentioned elsewhere, but Micky was an absolute club legend, and for a long time, my favourite all-time Cat until the Abletts.

Loved him as a player and got to know him when I was a Uni student.
Really hope his current improvement is maintained and that he can defy the odds, because pancreatic cancer is absolutely horrendous.,

Dealt with him a lot through his Falcons role and no matter what different people thought of him, a more passionate footy man you will not find. He spoke about young players on the falcons list as if they were his own at times. The two he went early on (to me at least) were Ben Cunnington and Gary Rohan in the same year, both ended up top 5 or 6 picks.

Great to see him back living his life.

His duels with the late great Robbie Flower were a highlight for me- both brilliantly quick and great overhead. Micky was one of very few players who could trouble and even at times outplay Flower.

His duels with the late great Robbie Flower were a highlight for me- both brilliantly quick and great overhead. Micky was one of very few players who could trouble and even at times outplay Flower.

In an era of truely great wingmen ..MT can be a little over looked but his best was as good as anyones. Perhaps his best game was the PF against the Pies at VFL park but I also saw him play Flower often enough to know that Flower found his blend of aggressive skill troubling at times. Not sure how he went V Grieg.

Wish him all the best. Charlie Dancer is a mongrel and few if any family is untouched by it sooner or later.

Apologies if already mentioned elsewhere, but Micky was an absolute club legend, and for a long time, my favourite all-time Cat until the Abletts.

Loved him as a player and got to know him when I was a Uni student.
Really hope his current improvement is maintained and that he can defy the odds, because pancreatic cancer is absolutely horrendous.,

I guess some versions are worse than others but I suspect if you suffer from bone or or what ever then you think thats the worst. (not that you can pick the burden you are given)

Its a shame that some variations get limited attention compared to others. Id like to see the afl give more emphasis towards these lesser acknowledged diseases ... rather than specific to one particular cancer ...a yellow daffidill round type where this year its this variation etc... Prostate or all are worthy of attention and finance.

In an era of truely great wingmen ..MT can be a little over looked but his best was as good as anyones. Perhaps his best game was the PF against the Pies at VFL park but I also saw him play Flower often enough to know that Flower found his blend of aggressive skill troubling at times. Not sure how he went V Grieg.

Wish him all the best. Charlie Dancer is a mongrel and few if any family is untouched by it sooner or later.
It's actually Jack the dancer.

My first ever live game was watching Turner opposed to Flower. Two brilliant footballers.

That was a brilliant performance, as was his bog v the premiers of that season, Tigers earlier on. He loved the G, a true big game performance player

Last edited:
It's actually Jack the dancer.

My first ever live game was watching Turner opposed to Flower. Two brilliant footballers.

Jack or Charlie...its the dancing that kills you.

Gee thats an interesting memory. At the G? Id not be able to tell you who or what played in my first live game. I can remember Kenny Newland and those white ankle protectors.. and a game where the siren must have failed as there was someone walking the boundary with a bell (Tru or false memory I have no idea)

Robbie Flower would have been my favourite non Geelong player. He was more an artist than artisan in an era of brutality. Turner always played with that edge that would have seen him quite at home at several successful Melb clubs. He must have received some big offers over the years.

Jack or Charlie...its the dancing that kills you.

Gee thats an interesting memory. At the G? Id not be able to tell you who or what played in my first live game. I can remember Kenny Newland and those white ankle protectors.. and a game where the siren must have failed as there was someone walking the boundary with a bell (Tru or false memory I have no idea)

Robbie Flower would have been my favourite non Geelong player. He was more an artist than artisan in an era of brutality. Turner always played with that edge that would have seen him quite at home at several successful Melb clubs. He must have received some big offers over the years.
Yeah. Kenny was a good player, but classic Geelong in those days. Went missing when the heat came on.
For some reason I remember Wayne Closter too. One week a world beater, the other MIA.
Billy Ryan and Doug Wade were my favourites as a spud watching from the city end. Time runs...

Yeah. Kenny was a good player, but classic Geelong in those days. Went missing when the heat came on.
For some reason I remember Wayne Closter too. One week a world beater, the other MIA.
Billy Ryan and Doug Wade were my favourites as a spud watching from the city end. Time runs...
Billy Goggin, Sam Newman, David Clarke, Rod Blake Mick Turner, Buddha Hocking, Paul Couch, Andy Bews, ABLETT SNR

Then the Premiership Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back