List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are trying to be too clever picking RCD. He’s not going to make it as a midfielder at AFL level and as coverage he might be the slightest upgrade on Jack Carroll who does well enough when given a full game.

We have greater needs on the lists and generally the MSD success stories have been plug and play flankers/wingers. RCD is the type of player you go for at the end of the year, he’s not going anywhere in the mean time and he doesn’t have a clear path into the best 22 over the next 3 months. I would be disappointed.

I think we are trying to be too clever picking RCD. He’s not going to make it as a midfielder at AFL level and as coverage he might be the slightest upgrade on Jack Carroll who does well enough when given a full game.

We have greater needs on the lists and generally the MSD success stories have been plug and play flankers/wingers. RCD is the type of player you go for at the end of the year, he’s not going anywhere in the mean time and he doesn’t have a clear path into the best 22 over the next 3 months. I would be disappointed.
If Cripps gets injured our midfield is suddenly very thin. No Docerty to pinch hit and Cerras constant soft tissue injuries means he can't be relied on. RCD is 24 year old quick big bodied midfielder who tackles. Gives our midfield another dimension.

If Cripps gets injured our midfield is suddenly very thin. No Docerty to pinch hit and Cerras constant soft tissue injuries means he can't be relied on. RCD is 24 year old quick big bodied midfielder who tackles. Gives our midfield another dimension.

If Cripps gets injured we still have Kennedy and Hewett who are very good contested players that can shuffle up the order, then you move in a player like Carroll, Elijah, Cuningham or Wilson as the 4th/5th which actually makes us more dynamic.

RCD doesn’t offer anything our midfield doesn’t already have, his tackling and “pace” stands out at VFL level only and he is not a Newcombe level talent who got lost in the system because he didn’t train hard enough for 6 months.

We have actual pressing needs elsewhere (in positions that the MSD has had success) that should be addressed before we take a depth kid who let’s be honest isn’t making the level. 90% of this place were happy to see the backs of Dow and Setterfield who are twice the player.

Forget every single name that’s been discussed the past month or two, I’d really love another Boyd selection and see this place blow up like last time.

I was one who was like, who the hell is this bloke, it has made for a great story.

Regardless of needs, more than anything, we need AFL capable players

If Cripps gets injured we still have Kennedy and Hewett who are very good contested players that can shuffle up the order, then you move in a player like Carroll, Elijah, Cuningham or Wilson as the 4th/5th which actually makes us more dynamic.

RCD doesn’t offer anything our midfield doesn’t already have, his tackling and “pace” stands out at VFL level only and he is not a Newcombe level talent who got lost in the system because he didn’t train hard enough for 6 months.

We have actual pressing needs elsewhere (in positions that the MSD has had success) that should be addressed before we take a depth kid who let’s be honest isn’t making the level. 90% of this place were happy to see the backs of Dow and Setterfield who are twice the player.

I think there is a balancing act with these picks. You can take a hail mary prospect who could be AFL grade after a few years of development, or you could take a mature body who could come in and do a job immediately if required.

Looking at our run with injury this year I'm comfortable with the club going the latter option - McMahon and RCD, forward and burst mid. No raw MSD recruit is winning us a flag off their own boot in the next few years, and as much as some here love the idea of picking up a future Norm Smith medallist, the odds are astronomically against it. Having fit and capable depth could be the difference between coughing up games when our top liners are out though, or having the luxury of resting key players without compromising structure later in the year.

And we'll be what, 8 or 9 picks deep in this draft? The rebuilding sides at the bottom of the ladder will have first pick of the potential shiny, uncut gems, and they'll likely snap them up knowing that they can afford to put a few years development into them in the hopes of striking gold.

Neither of them are on big contracts, nor would command anything of note in a draft pick. They are still of value to us though

I think they'll be on AFL-average contracts, as you'd expect for mature age players who are thereabouts best 22. It's also not just about what they're on next year - they're both out of contract and free agents at the end of next year. So it's potentially about cashing one in before they can leave for nothing, or freeing up the cap space that they will command over the next 3-4 years by replacing them with a younger guy on minimum chips.

I think there is a balancing act with these picks. You can take a hail mary prospect who could be AFL grade after a few years of development, or you could take a mature body who could come in and do a job immediately if required.

Looking at our run with injury this year I'm comfortable with the club going the latter option - McMahon and RCD, forward and burst mid. No raw MSD recruit is winning us a flag off their own boot in the next few years, and as much as some here love the idea of picking up a future Norm Smith medallist, the odds are astronomically against it. Having fit and capable depth could be the difference between coughing up games when our top liners are out though, or having the luxury of resting key players without compromising structure later in the year.

And we'll be what, 8 or 9 picks deep in this draft? The rebuilding sides at the bottom of the ladder will have first pick of the potential shiny, uncut gems, and they'll likely snap them up knowing that they can afford to put a few years development into them in the hopes of striking gold.

I obviously dont think we’ll find a Norm Smith Medal winner but I don’t see why we can’t find the next Boyd/Cottrell/Owies level contributor.

This type of thinking will see us stagnate. RCD hasn’t been good enough and isn’t going to be good enough. He isn’t better than our current depth midfielder Carroll and he certainly isn’t better than Elijah if we need to shuffle the magnets around.

I just don’t see the logic in drafting for worst case scenario (Cripps going down) when we already have some pressing needs that require immediate attention. I’d look for a marking HFF, a full back stopper or even a ruck/fwd before a depth midfielder.

A younger mid with wheels who we could put some time into, I would consider. But I agree that type will be snapped up by a rebuilding club earlier and with the Campos on the way we might be over extending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I obviously dont think we’ll find a Norm Smith Medal winner but I don’t see why we can’t find the next Boyd/Cottrell/Owies level contributor.

This type of thinking will see us stagnate. RCD hasn’t been good enough and isn’t going to be good enough. He isn’t better than our current depth midfielder Carroll and he certainly isn’t better than Elijah if we need to shuffle the magnets around.

I just don’t see the logic in drafting for worst case scenario (Cripps going down) when we already have some pressing needs that require immediate attention. I’d look for a marking HFF, a full back stopper or even a ruck/fwd before a depth midfielder.

A younger mid with wheels who we could put some time into, I would consider. But I agree that type will be snapped up by a rebuilding club earlier and with the Campos on the way we might be over extending.

Anyone we bring in is not likely to survive list cuts at the end of the season (unless they seriously impress) anyway as we are already tight for spots. I don’t know how the MSD contracts work but I’m assuming we offer 6 month contracts.

The player(s) we bring in shouldn’t be long term development prospects. They should be mature, ready to go type players that can play in the seniors if absolutely needed. At the very least, they should be able to strengthen our reserves so that our other young kids can develop better. We have literally no depth in the midfield. Carroll is our only depth mid and he’s already in the seniors due to injuries. Hence I can understand our link to Riley Collier-Dawkins.

As for a marking HFF, yep we absolutely need one of those. Big hole on the list. I guess that’s why we’re linked to being interested in Hayward at seasons end, so I’m glad the club can see the issues. That type of player doesn’t grow on trees though. MSD is a crap shoot outside of maybe the first 2-3 picks.

Anyone we bring in is not likely to survive list cuts at the end of the season (unless they seriously impress) anyway as we are already tight for spots. I don’t know how the MSD contracts work but I’m assuming we offer 6 month contracts.

The player(s) we bring in shouldn’t be long term development prospects. They should be mature, ready to go type players that can play in the seniors if absolutely needed. At the very least, they should be able to strengthen our reserves so that our other young kids can develop better. We have literally no depth in the midfield. Carroll is our only depth mid and he’s already in the seniors due to injuries. Hence I can understand our link to Riley Collier-Dawkins.

As for a marking HFF, yep we absolutely need one of those. Big hole on the list. I guess that’s why we’re linked to being interested in Hayward at seasons end, so I’m glad the club can see the issues. That type of player doesn’t grow on trees though. MSD is a crap shoot outside of maybe the first 2-3 picks.

There will be multiple players from this draft who go on to become solid role players for the club that chooses them. Why can’t we have one?

RCD will be another Josh Deluca or Will Hayes. Just a waste of time and resources.

There will be multiple players from this draft who go on to become solid role players for the club that chooses them. Why can’t we have one?

RCD will be another Josh Deluca or Will Hayes. Just a waste of time and resources.

Why is some bloke who hasn't been good enough to be drafted before any more likely to just be a late developer than RCD? Historically, you'll be lucky to find 2-3 players in any given MSD who go on to justify an ongoing spot on a list.

Why is some bloke who hasn't been good enough to be drafted before any more likely to just be a late developer than RCD? Historically, you'll be lucky to find 2-3 players in any given MSD who go on to justify an ongoing spot on a list.

A 19 or 20 year old would have a lot more scope for improvement than RCD who couldn’t get it done in an AFL environment at a club that had been struggling to find a big bodied clearance mid for the last decade.

Probably wouldn’t go near anyone over 24.

Can we recruit Constable and Teakle in the mid-season draft? Really want to develop our ability to contest in numbers around the ball, grind down the opposition ruck and scrum it forward and I think they're little gems based on my excel spreadsheet.

Hell, is there anyone running around local rugby union games that's renowned for imitating a brick wall? Maybe we can experiment with completely closing the stoppages down until the opponent submits and just hands us the football

Can we recruit Constable and Teakle in the mid-season draft? Really want to develop our ability to contest in numbers around the ball, grind down the opposition ruck and scrum it forward and I think they're little gems based on my excel spreadsheet.

Hell, is there anyone running around local rugby union games that's renowned for imitating a brick wall? Maybe we can experiment with completely closing the stoppages down until the opponent submits and just hands us the football

Charlie Constable, who I think is playing WAFL, is the opposite of what we need. Slow, limited midfielder. Or are you joking?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back