List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

There is where Austin earns his money. Adding someone high rated like an O Wines wouldn't help us at all. It's much more about needs/roles right now.

Ollie would help us score for sure. But Ollie Wines would increase our massive problem of defensive transition shipped goals.

I'd not want a second E Hollands unless it is because he is re-placing a second slower fwd.

Our side needs a boost in an area where 'we don't have the ball in hand'.

Surely we take the second pick simply for the benefit of the VFL team... second last on the ladder, with just one win. I know things have been tough for them with all the injuries but I can't see a downside at all from taking a player from say Werribee or Williamstown for the rest of the season then keeping them in the 2s if we don't need them in the senior team.

Maybe its a bit stiff to the player, but better they get given a slim chance of AFL then no chance at all.

They wouldn't have nominated if they didn't want it

I mean picking them with no real intention of playing them in the senior team. I doubt too many of the players would be thrilled to be picked as basically a VFL supplementary pick.

This is on the assumption that we only really want to use 1 MSD pick

I mean picking them with no real intention of playing them in the senior team. I doubt too many of the players would be thrilled to be picked as basically a VFL supplementary pick.

I know what you mean but if we select a mature age it would be because they are considered viable to play seniors if needed. That they can contribute to the VFL team is bonus.

I’d be thrilled to earn a years wage to play 12 weeks of football and get a foot in the door at my dream job.

If you are good enough you will find a way into an AFL clubs best 22. They look everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, the name Brad Fisher should be on a locker and I am ropable that it's not. Bloody travesty. It's one of the things I'm genuinely pissed off at the club for.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Glad I'm not the only one. Dunno if he's got kids but sometimes I day dream about Fisher's son being a star junior and we miss out on him because we couldn't give a Fisher the extra game after returning from LARs.

I wonder what the cap rules are for extra players brought in in the msd.
You have the option of 6 or 18 month contracts, and previously listed players can nominate terms and enforce an 18 month contract.

They're considered Cat A rookies, and the usual rules apply.

Last edited:
In relation to our interest in RCD.

Riley was picked as a tall, mostly inside mid, spent a few years on the Tigers list, played a few games and was delisted, he’s now gone back to the VFL and playing good footy.

So my question is.

If he has not met the standard as an AFL inside mid, why wouldn’t a club try him in a different position, third tall defender or their tall forward? Players who are good enough to play midfield, be taken first round and be strong midfielders in the VFL have lots of talent, but the step up in levels is a bit too much for the position they play.

Why continue in a position that is very unlikely to work? Lots of players change positions to where they were drafted, Liam JOnes, Darcy Moore, James Sicily are all examples of not being up to the grade where they were drafted but too good not o make it.

It probably doesnt suit us as we have a few third tall already, but a inside mid would easily transition to third tall defender/medium defender.

In relation to our interest in RCD.

Riley was picked as a tall, mostly inside mid, spent a few years on the Tigers list, played a few games and was delisted, he’s now gone back to the VFL and playing good footy.

So my question is.

If he has not met the standard as an AFL inside mid, why wouldn’t a club try him in a different position, third tall defender or their tall forward? Players who are good enough to play midfield, be taken first round and be strong midfielders in the VFL have lots of talent, but the step up in levels is a bit too much for the position they play.

Why continue in a position that is very unlikely to work? Lots of players change positions to where they were drafted, Liam JOnes, Darcy Moore, James Sicily are all examples of not being up to the grade where they were drafted but too good not o make it.

It probably doesnt suit us as we have a few third tall already, but a inside mid would easily transition to third tall defender/medium defender.

I think because he is unlikely to be much good at either role. Aside from being tall he doesn't really have traits that translate.

I reckon he's inside mid or bust and that lack of versatility is probably what cost him his place on an afl list. If we pick him think it'll primarily be to strengthen our vfl team.

If we want a tall forward or defender we'll just pick a tall forward or defender

I think because he is unlikely to be much good at either role. Aside from being tall he doesn't really have traits that translate.

I reckon he's inside mid or bust and that lack of versatility is probably what cost him his place on an afl list. If we pick him think it'll primarily be to strengthen our vfl team.

If we want a tall forward or defender we'll just pick a tall forward or defender
Watching some of his highlights, for a supposedly strong inside mid, he goes to ground far too easily. Doesn't stand up in a tackle.

Carlton

The Blues have two spots available, and tall forward Liam McMahon is under their nose in the VFL program. The athletic goal kicker spent two years on the Pies' list and has built consistency for Carlton. Will McLachlan would add immediate competition for small forward spots at the Blues but is unlikely to be available here, while Oskar Smartt has the point of difference in power and aggression that the Blues' small forwards sometimes lack.

An interesting watch here is Riley Collier-Dawkins with the ex-Richmond inside midfielder proving his credentials in the VFL this season for Williamstown. He would add midfield depth for the Blues' finals charge

You have the option of 6 or 18 month contracts, and previously listed players can nominate terms and enforce an 18 month contract.

They're considered Cat A rookies, and the usual rules apply.
I meant salary cap wise.

If you have a full salary cap and take two 18-month players, are their salaries exempted, or do you get an exemption for inactive players?

Or is it a case of having to find space in the cap that's already allocated?

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back