List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't only be a cap money, taking on a player costs the club.
If you think they're only going to be there for 4 months, it's not worth wasting the resources.

I don’t think depth in a position of need, strengthening the reserves and having the potential to unearth a long term player is a waste of resources.

We are effectively going into the back half of the season one player down if we don’t take the second pick. Add O’Keefe who won’t be available until round 20+, Mirkov, Akuei and Monohan who are so far off it they aren’t even worth mentioning, and any further LTI between now and then.

It’s got to be salary cap related, and I hate to be one of those posters but a lack of cap space is the only acceptable reason for not taking another swing.

It's not only cap but list spots as well. There's the Campo twins, Duffy plus probably a couple of draftees (Agresta mentioned 4) plus any trades / FA we pick up.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A 6 month contract doesn’t affect list spots. Only an 18 month contract.

Take McMahon with the second pick, instead of training with the reserves twice a week he trains with the seniors full time. We can then pick him in an injury crisis or heck even on form. Nothing changes for him or Carlton after the 6 months is up.

Take McMahon with the second pick, instead of training with the reserves twice a week he trains with the seniors full time. We can then pick him in an injury crisis or heck even on form. Nothing changes for him or Carlton after the 6 months is up.
I assume he’s got a job though? Which he’d have to quit. Not exactly nothing changing.

I assume he’s got a job though? Which he’d have to quit. Not exactly nothing changing.

He has nominated for the draft with 6 month terms. I think he understands he might have to quit his job or put it on hold, and he is clearly willing to make this sacrifice.

They are paid quite handsomely for their 6 months work and a chance at their dream.

I'd like us to take 2 players Wednesday night, plenty of time to work out the ins and outs end of year

Except we’re not going to unless Agresta is lying or they change their mind on the night because someone had slipped. Otherwise, it’s gonna be 1 player.

FWIW, Tiggers who have about 8 blokes on three LTI (I’m exaggerating) are saying they’re only going to take 1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not necessarily true. Most of the VFL group are basically amateurs. The salary cap is tiny. McMahon likely has a day job. A four month contract may well jeopardise that day job. Not as cut and dried as you make out.

Reading between the lines we will be getting one of McMahon or Collier-Dawkins. I am hoping it is McMahon if it is indeed a choice. It is “easy” for mids to be prolific in lower leagues. McMahon started his AFL career with Collingwood as a pencil thin tall. Still developing, but will never be a “bull”. Capable of holding his own at both ends and can be valuable and much needed depth. His mobility creates options and he is still developing.

I am a little surprised at a single selection, but it is understandable. We are very tight for list spots.

Except we’re not going to unless Agresta is lying or they change their mind on the night because someone had slipped. Otherwise, it’s gonna be 1 player.

FWIW, Tiggers who have about 8 blokes on three LTI (I’m exaggerating) are saying they’re only going to take 1.

I guess the Tigers are in a different situation, but even they should be looking for a diamond in the rough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily true. Most of the VFL group are basically amateurs. The salary cap is tiny. McMahon likely has a day job. A four month contract may well jeopardise that day job. Not as cut and dried as you make out.

Reading between the lines we will be getting one of McMahon or Collier-Dawkins. I am hoping it is McMahon if it is indeed a choice. It is “easy” for mids to be prolific in lower leagues. McMahon started his AFL career with Collingwood as a pencil thin tall. Still developing, but will never be a “bull”. Capable of holding his own at both ends and can be valuable and much needed depth. His mobility creates options and he is still developing.

I am a little surprised at a single selection, but it is understandable. We are very tight for list spots.
All fair points Coona, but given 6 month contracts, it really doesn't put pressure on list spots

When they nominate for the draft on 6 months terms they are basically saying “I am willing to quit my job and potentially uplift my life for a chance to play AFL football”. It is a sacrifice McMahon and others are clearly willing to take. What if WCE pick him up to play him in the WAFL? That’s what you sign up for.

For me it is cut and dried, unless our cap is at its absolute brink (I’m going to choose to believe this) we are wasting a chance at finding an AFL quality player or at the very least improving our reserves/depth which are currently in a terrible position. They are choosing to go into the back half of the season a player down (3-4 players down if you include the ass end of our list). Leave no stone unturned imo.

So it looks like we'll only be taking the one pick on Wed nite.

I think it was Austin who said recently something along the lines of 'getting ahead of the national draft' with our selection - whatever that means - but just going by that it appears we're not looking at a plug and play. Maybe. I got no idea really :drunk:

I thought it was interesting because he repeated the phrase several times over the course of the 15min or so he was on the stage.

I thought it was interesting because he repeated the phrase several times over the course of the 15min or so he was on the stage.

My interpretation of that is we're looking at a kid who missed getting drafted over the last year or two, but has matured either as an over-ager in the Coates, or at state league - like a Taj Campbell-Farrell type. Who knows?

I think it was Austin who said recently something along the lines of 'getting ahead of the national draft' with our selection - whatever that means
It can really only mean taking someone this week who would be likely to get taken in the ND (if there was no MSD)...or take someone this week who would be a better prospect/ gets a six month head start on someone from the rookie draft in November.

So it looks like we'll only be taking the one pick on Wed nite.

I think it was Austin who said recently something along the lines of 'getting ahead of the national draft' with our selection - whatever that means - but just going by that it appears we're not looking at a plug and play. Maybe. I got no idea really :drunk:
Is this like the crows picking up Dangerfield a year early?

Yep.

I get the feeling that club isn’t interested in six month contracts. If they’re picking someone it’s for 18 months with the intent that they develop on the list - like Cinc and Boyd. (I think Hayes was given six months… but that didn’t work out).

I’d rather they focus on a player they think has a decent chance of making it, then taking a wild guess with a second pick.

Boyd was a wild guess with a second pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back