List Mgmt. Mid-season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

See my post below, Bennier is playing today and Jason Cripps is there watching.

Has to be our no1 target in the mid season draft. Not many kids are lockdown defenders in the National Draft. Is Louie Montgomery capable of a lockdown defender or more a running accumulator.

Billy Cootee looks like an afl player in his shory highlights video. Apparently used to be a small defender now playing mid/forward for norwood. He was essendons vfl captain at 20? He's only 21 now. He was in the best players for sa. Yes he is short.

Some of this reeks of missing link again. Anybody who thinks we are picking up the difference that's taking us to the summit in the mid-season draft has been taking greyhound stimulants.

Happy if we skip it.

I feel sorry for Narkle
I think if we are picking up father/sons in the draft we should skip it.

Personally, I don't really rate Narkle. Not that I see much SANFL but when I saw him play for Geelong he wasn't good enough to play AFL as a first choice midfielder. So he played forward and he didn't have forward craft and he wasn't a player who could turn when he met the ball. I wouldn't call him particularly fast.

He's a very good SANFL/lower league player - an inbetweener. Too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL.

I think if we are picking up father/sons in the draft we should skip it.

Personally, I don't really rate Narkle. Not that I see much SANFL but when I saw him play for Geelong he wasn't good enough to play AFL as a first choice midfielder. So he played forward and he didn't have forward craft and he wasn't a player who could turn when he met the ball. I wouldn't call him particularly fast.

He's a very good SANFL/lower league player - an inbetweener. Too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL.
What I mean is I feel sorry because we made him move here. Was a very poor choice and nothing gained on both sides.

Anyone know if Alastair Lord is capable of playing lockdown defenders role. That’s one who might be willing to give AFL footy another crack, with no guarantee of being on our list next season. Never seen him play, some of our posters would have seen him at Norwood this year or pre 2022 draft.

Anyone know if Alastair Lord is capable of playing lockdown defenders role. That’s one who might be willing to give AFL footy another crack, with no guarantee of being on our list next season. Never seen him play, some of our posters would have seen him at Norwood this year or pre 2022 draft.
Ollie would be stoked to play with his grandfather

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When can we expect the draft nominations list to get released?

List of the 24 candidates clubs nominated that underwent a medical:

Matt Ling ex-Sydney
Noah Howes (South Adelaide)
Jasper Scaife (West Perth)
Remy Maclean (Eastern Ranges)
Will McLachlan (Geelong Falcons)
Joe Pike, Geelong Falcons Ruck
Sandringham tall defender Lachie Voss,
Eastern Ranges defender/ruck Illiro Smit
Bendigo captain Dayten Uerata
West Adelaide backman Will Patton
Geordie Payne - Tasmanian half back from 2023 draft
Dandenong half-back dasher Ben Hopkins
Essendon half-forward Oskar Smartt
Collingwood's Jack Hutchinson
Ajang Kuol mun Geelong Falcons Ruck
Tobyn Murray, Ruck
Coburg's Caleb Ernst
Box Hill's Max Hall
Williamstown's Corey Ellison
Brynn Teakle
Toby Murray, the younger brother of Nick Murray
Jacob Blight
Kelsey Rypstra SANFL
Luke Beecken SANFL

List of the 24 candidates clubs nominated that underwent a medical:

Matt Ling ex-Sydney
Noah Howes (South Adelaide)
Jasper Scaife (West Perth)
Remy Maclean (Eastern Ranges)
Will McLachlan (Geelong Falcons)
Joe Pike, Geelong Falcons Ruck
Sandringham tall defender Lachie Voss,
Eastern Ranges defender/ruck Illiro Smit
Bendigo captain Dayten Uerata
West Adelaide backman Will Patton
Geordie Payne - Tasmanian half back from 2023 draft
Dandenong half-back dasher Ben Hopkins
Essendon half-forward Oskar Smartt
Collingwood's Jack Hutchinson
Ajang Kuol mun Geelong Falcons Ruck
Tobyn Murray, Ruck
Coburg's Caleb Ernst
Box Hill's Max Hall
Williamstown's Corey Ellison
Brynn Teakle
Toby Murray, the younger brother of Nick Murray
Jacob Blight
Kelsey Rypstra SANFL
Luke Beecken SANFL
The last 2 sound like Port types.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We'd be stupid not to find a way to strengthen up the depth of our list through the MSD. Not just for the AFL side, but for the SANFL side and the development of the kids we have there.

With the pending retirement of Dixon, Boak, McKenzie. Plus likely delistings of Evans and Narkle, maybe even early Clurey delisting. We're taking a heck of a lot of depth out of the squad, without a lot of kids ready to step up. As a result I'd personally be shocked if we weren't complementing this years draft with the best local talent we can find that might strengthen up our list.

For mine someone like Kobe Ryan makes sense because we have zero remaining midfielders outside of the AFL team. We know we have an issue at small forward but we've picked multiple kids to fill that hole. We appear to have ruck and KPF covered. Wing appears to have options for us, and Lorenz nearly ready to go. So the only other area that maybe could be of value is a small defender. I mean a key back could be an option, but that feels covered as well.

So for me a best available mid that might be able to play other roles and a small defender would be the targets. The other potential area worth looking at is pace. If there are some players out there that have some elite speed and potential they might be worth a look. Pace is a huge issue for us.

Scouting notes from Kelsey a couple of years ago.

"Kelsey Rypstra (North Adelaide)

Small forward, Rypstra applied an abundance of defensive pressure from the get-go, tackling with intent and looking to force the Allies defenders into making mistakes. His attack on the ball was excellent and his closing speed proved pivotal. Although much of his work went unrewarded, coach Tony Bamford will no-doubt have loved the team-first role he played."

Does match our MO.

Don't see the Crows asking for a medical.

We'd be stupid not to find a way to strengthen up the depth of our list through the MSD. Not just for the AFL side, but for the SANFL side and the development of the kids we have there.

With the pending retirement of Dixon, Boak, McKenzie. Plus likely delistings of Evans and Narkle, maybe even early Clurey delisting. We're taking a heck of a lot of depth out of the squad, without a lot of kids ready to step up. As a result I'd personally be shocked if we weren't complementing this years draft with the best local talent we can find that might strengthen up our list.

For mine someone like Kobe Ryan makes sense because we have zero remaining midfielders outside of the AFL team. We know we have an issue at small forward but we've picked multiple kids to fill that hole. We appear to have ruck and KPF covered. Wing appears to have options for us, and Lorenz nearly ready to go. So the only other area that maybe could be of value is a small defender. I mean a key back could be an option, but that feels covered as well.

So for me a best available mid that might be able to play other roles and a small defender would be the targets. The other potential area worth looking at is pace. If there are some players out there that have some elite speed and potential they might be worth a look. Pace is a huge issue for us.

Rat, Farell, Alir, Sinn, Rozee, Butters, Francis, & Jones, all have pace to burn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back