Remove this Banner Ad

kangaanth

Team Captain
May 12, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
blackburn rovers
simpson is having a stellar year and we all know boomer can play who else is up to it? i love anthony stevens but i think he has hurt us the last couple of games could we maybe find another role for him?
just interested to hear peoples opinions.

agree stevo has been below par in the last couple of games , but the quailty of the bloke will shine against the saints this weekend

just remember he has still been the most consistent with simmo all year , hopefully just a patch he is going through

I think part of the reason of Stevo's below par games would be the knee reco, the other part would be his psychological state, I would imagine he is still in a huge amount of pain from the pre-season.. and altho he may not be showing it.. I think it may be affecting him quite a bit.. give him time, he'll be back and better next year.

Go Roos

Originally posted by Moti.com
Plus the fact that he can't kick straight and fumbles a lot.

i tend to disagree....but i think he's over the hill like king

and i still believe grant,king,harding are all in line for a chop with pickett in line for a new role...

Moti just cant stand anybody that has to battle he likes only people with skill the he must have hated everybody in the north side when we won those flags except for carey who was the only talented person playing in those north sides everybody else was a battler who was tough at the ball and thats all she wrote.

He would want you to believe that Clayton Lasscock was god footballer do i need to say anymore

The Smiling Assassin

Does anybody know what Moore's Law is?

It states that every 18 months, computer power will double.

What has this got to do with football? Not much on the surface but it does show what natural progression is.

Stevo, Simmo, Cable, Shimma, Mick, Aylett are all great in their own eras, but time changes. There is no doubting the tenacity of Stevo, but modern football has changed in the last three years and it is a damn sight quicker and more skillful. It is just a fact.

Just look at the magpies. The thing is that we rely on players without great kicking skills and it was only the fact that we had a guy like Carey that made some of these guys look like sharpshooters. Who remembers how good the kick was when Carey was wrestling for 10 seconds waiting for the ball, no one. And it wasn't as importnat back then, the rest of the competition was similar.

Times change, better skills are required, simple as that. How much work needs to go into every goal. It always looks so easy for the opposition. We shouldn't get rid of these guys, but lets at least introduce other players, consistently, to see what the alternative is.

We have remained fairly stagnant in terms of composition, we always have really quick players, but they are almost never cosnsistent (barring Boomer). We need the Six foot one guys with good pace, full stop. Otherwise, we will continue to slide.

By the way, I have been saying this for about four years so don't give me the bull**** of saying it when the chips are down, because the tune hasn't changed, just the taste in music.

well with kane johnson on our wish list we may have the answer right there....brady rawlings is pretty big, but he hasn't got much meat on him, but can run all day....mclaren could also be a dark horse :D god i hope he can turn it on from here on

Kandy Kane

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
well with kane johnson on our wish list we may have the answer right there....brady rawlings is pretty big, but he hasn't got much meat on him, but can run all day....mclaren could also be a dark horse :D god i hope he can turn it on from here on

The only thing I agree on is securing a player of Johnson's calibre...Rawlings is very couragous but not an all day runner...he can't play man on man, doesn't have skills on both sides and isn't a crash bang player.

McLaren is not full-time. Football smarts = bzzzzzz

Hope your prediction rings true....get McLaren on the drugs the South Koreans were on!:D

You go on about the magpies saying there foot skills are better than ours but licura is the same as simpson kicking floaters but getting the pill which is what they suppost to do arent they.
Obree is another who is similar to grant or robbins just a hard in an under player and doesn,t have great foot skill but when you have marking forwards such as fraser, rocca , and the cheat in tarrant its going to give the illussion that they midfielders are better than what they are , but you cant seem to grasp the fact that you have stated yourself not alot of players are great kicks with the pace that the games played .

The worst kick of all for a so called champion player is robert harvey who struggles to hit anybody on the chest from greater than thirty metres but thats another story in the disgrace of that shizenhause medal that they award one week before the real stuff.

Also you must be the only person who thinks simpson is not having a good year which is unbelievable.

You say consistent for harvey i think he has probably contributed not much more than grant for most of the games this year, last week was something special from harvey so its about time he was more consistent and really showed us what he can do and lead the midfield and take over from stevens and others if he is good enough time will tell if he is a pretender or not.

The Smiling Assassin

Read it again Woosha, u obviously didn't quite understand. Harvey has been our only consistent player (over many years) with genuine pace. Abraham, Motlop, Harding, Pickett [when forward], these guys have never really been consistent over time.

As for Collingwood, Didak, Cole, Lockyer are just three beautiful kicks in that team, oh, and a guy named Buckley?. We have no player midfield with their kicking skills, despite Grant who seems to have lost his ability to do so.

It is called a mix, and we ain't got it.

Interesting debate. I think it's a question of how you want to structure your side.

I remember seeing that Didak in an Ansett Cup game against us this year and he was hanging out big time. Not much crash/in and under work from him. Cole would be the same. They look a million bucks when the team is firing though...

Seems to me (not sure why) if you're a crashing in and under player you rarely have silky disposal to complete the package (R Harvey, J Johnson, A Simpson, A Stevens, T Viney, P Kelly etc etc).

Question is would you prefer a team of M Knights/Lockyer/Yze/Ramanauskis/Riccardi/Nick Stevens types or the crash and bang blokes we've traditionally sought?

One thing I know is that the Tigers have built their team around this type of player and the game doesn't appear to have advanced quickly enough to make them successful yet!

G Hocking and B Cousins are two of the rare players who are terrific in both facets. Both should have/should win Brownlows IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back