Migraines

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering do any of you suffer from migraines? I tend to get one or two a month and it totally wrecks my whole day. I usually get a sign a migraine is coming on when I get blurred vision about 20 minutes before it hits....but if I take something for it at that warning sign, it tends to be more bearable.

Suffered from them on and off for the last 18 years now.
They are an absolute pain in the arse.

I can go six to twelve months without one, then for some reason suffer from three or four in a week, then none for another six months.
Luckily I don't generally get the severe headaches associated with it, moreso I lose my eyesight.
I get splotches in my eyes, end up with severely blurred vision and then have almost no vision at all.
I take Sandomigran for them, and those tablets can make you extremely drowsy depending on the strength of dosage.
After all these years, I am still yet to determine exactly what triggers these things.
I know that I do get them on very dull, overcast days now and then.
I have also been known to get them in extremely windy weather if I have to be out in it for long periods.

Suffering from these things is one reason why I don't drive, as I could never control an onset of a migraine, and my eyesight can literally disappear in seconds - not all that good while trying to drive a vehicle.
I once had an attack whilst bowling in a major state tournament in Devonport ten years ago.
It was during qualifying, and had to use one of the scorers to tell me what pins were left standing after each shot as all I could see was blurred outlines of things in the distance.
Strangely enough, I led the qualifying after all that :D
Came back the next day for matchplay, right as rain, perfect eyesight - couldn't hit a barn from point blank range all day :eek:

In my early teens I used to get them after I played hockey. That's because I was straining my eyesight, and I started wearing contact lenses for sport and that got rid of them. They were horrible though, and knew it was coming when I'd have the blurred vision for 20mins or so. Sometimes I'd throw up after the real headache.

Now I don't get them like that. Last week I had a shocking headache that lasted a few days and nothing I took would work. Pain in the butt as they do effect your day.

Only ever had one which was associated with Glandular Fever that I had at the time. Went for four days and could not move. I didnt get blurred vision or anything like that...I just had the most intense headache and vomited about 10 times each day. Took Mercyndol Forte which got rid of most of the pain but left me basically unable to move or talk.

My Dad used to suffer them all the time...every three weeks just about and would have the vomiting etc. Terrible things.

PerthCrow said:
I've heard they are diet related ...do you notice them more after eating certain foods?

No, not really PerthCrow, my diet is fairly good, always watch what I eat - can't think of anything that might trigger it foodwise.

used to suffer from them-thank goodness i dont anymore.

i used to find it useful to make a tea (usually with honey), lie on the couch (facing the couch) so that most of the light is blocked out and just concentrate on relaxing. could never fully get rid of them, but this usually helped somewhat.

Horrible things migraines.

The professionals say if you suffer from migraines, you should avoid the 3 "C"s

Cheese, chocolate and citrus.

I know when I am in for a big one - for about 3 weeks I get a dull headache. Then when it is about to hit, I get a shadow over my right I eye and can't walk straight - will walk into walls etc.

Then I am pretty well non compus for a couple of days. Imagram does help a bit.

Have learnt to live with it.

The citrus and cheese don't bother me.

But if I do have too much chocolate it will bring the early stages of a migraine.

So I tend to limit my chocolate intake and have a Sunday special chockie once in awhile,

I've been prone to these on and off since I was 10 (and I'm 31 now). Don't know what brings mine on. I tend to get stress headaches more often than actual "migraines" though; maybe get one or two migraines every month or so. I know when I'm about to get one, because I start getting flashing lights in front of my eyes, whether there's any light (other than natural light) in the room or not. As for the "3 Cs" thing, I guess it's possible that could be a contributing factor for me, cause I'm addicted to both cheese and chocolate. I try to limit it as much as I can, but it doesn't always work as well as I hope.

I get them about once or twice a month, they are extremely annoying and painful.
I've been getting them since I was about 9, and get terrible blurred vision for around an hour and a half, Massive headache and vomit for about 2 hours (not straight of course).
Sometimes they will go away after a sleep but lately they last for around 2 to 3 days.

Visited the Doctor about it, but the idiot couldn't think of any thing I could do about them. I've heard many things about why they are caused, such as stress, diet, lack of sleep and something to do with your back. But I dunno, nothing works for me.

I remember at school two years ago, I got one and went to the nurse about it and she told me to go eat alot of chocolate and drink a really strong coffee, I just laughed in her face and called her an idiot, and she didn't understand why..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get migranes that last days but still they are better than once when they go weeks at a time. Reason is because i dived into a pool when young and hit my head on the bottom and it did damage to my neck but thank god did not break it.

i can not recomend anything on diet but i know not to chase migraine with pills no more becuse its chasing the dragon and the pills give you more migraines.

If you get one you MUST tough it out with no or very limited pills dont chase the dragon it will just make it worse when you are coming down.

edit - but if you absolutly must have pain killer, have something that will knock you out completly so you can sleep it off for 12 or so hours. 2 Meryndol will do it for me, once I had to go to the quaks and get a shot of pethanol. Dont bother with panadols or over counter stuff theyll just wake the dragon.

but agin this is last resort - best is to tough i t out with icepacks and if you can sleep.

:eek: Sex is better for migraine sufferers

Study: Migraine sufferers more in the mood

June 13, 2006

It's scientific: "Sorry, honey, I have a headache" may have to be replaced with "Yes, please, honey, I have a headache."

A study of 20-somethings in Chicago shows that migraine sufferers want sex more than people with other kinds of headaches.

"Our study suggests that sexual desire and migraine headaches may be influenced by the same brain chemical," lead author Timothy Houle of the Wake Forest University medical school said in a release this month.

Researchers, who also included Thomas Remble from Chicago's Rush University Medical Center, investigated a hypothesis that the brain chemical, serotonin, was connected to amorous impulses.

Because high levels of serotonin are associated with low sexual desire, and migraine sufferers have low levels of the chemical, it was predicted that they would report a higher sex drive.

The research, appearing in the journal Headache, involved 68 adults with an average age of 24. Participants, who reported at least 10 headaches a year, underwent interviews to diagnose their headache type -- either migraine or tension -- and filled out a 14-item questionnaire to measure desire.

Migraine sufferers reported levels of desire that were 20 percent higher than those suffering from tension headaches.

"This opens the door to consider other phenomena that have a similar neurochemical basis," Houle said.

Although the study was not able to address whether the link may apply to older adults with migraines, Houle said the finding appears to be general and is likely to be found in older patients as well.

-------------
My hypothesis will follow

Chocolate, cookies, and other foods high in carbohydrates will raise serotonin levels. When depressed people binge on these foods they are basically self-medicating. Brain levels of serotonin can also be increased by eating foods rich in tryptophan such as turkey, chicken, salmon, beef, peanut butter, green peas, brewer's yeast, potatoes, and milk

-----

By eating these foods , the hypothesis is those of you who suffer migraines have a low serotonin level, therefore increasing your serotonin will cause your brain to react ie a migraine

Tryptophans which are a trigger for serotonin are also found in cottage cheese and caffeine

But yeah interested to know if you also have a high sex drive.

And Brittany ...Catch 22

It is the role that serotonin plays in depression that perhaps is of most interest to scientists, who conclude that people with depression have "imbalances" in the brain's neurotransmitters; low levels of serotonin and another neurotransmitter norepinephrine are believed to play a critical role.

Cheers for that Perthcrow, I always thought there may have been a link between the two as I started to develop Migraines a bit before I was Diagnosed with Depression.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back