Traded Mikayla Pauga (2021-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mikayla Pauga Punches Ticket To AFLW

210311_AFLW_Draft_Article_Header_mikayla.jpg

Whether roaming the halls of academia or patrolling the 50m arc, Mikayla Pauga seems to never miss a step.

Last year as a 17-year-old she won a Riewoldt Family AFL Excellence Scholarship to study Psychology at Bond University.

Now 12-months on her journey has landed her at the Lions.

It will be a reunion at the Gabba as she once again joins forces with Maroochydore teammates Maggie Harmer and Bella Smith.

The trio played together at the Sunshine Coast club before the emerging forward headed south to Bond ahead of the 2021 QAFLW season to pursue her studies and further her football.

Her selection at Pick No.46 comes off the back of a standout 2021 season, that saw the 18-year-old take home the runners-up title in the QAFLW with Bond University.

The 18-year-old has spent the past year honing her skills in the NAB AFL Women’s Academy and in the Queensland U19 side, where she put up 11 disposals and two inside 50s in Queensland’s match-up against Country Victoria earlier this year.

AFLW Head Coach Craig Starcevich is excited to add Pauga’s footy smarts to his AFLW Premiership team.

“Mikki is an aggressive inside ball winner and good decision maker in the midfield,” Starcevich said.

“She has had the added challenge this year of leaving her home on the Brisbane’s northside, heading down to Bond University for study.

“She played as a small forward with the Bond QAFLW team and was a strong contributor in the back half of the year, particularly during finals. This versatility will open up a number of roles for her at AFLW level.”

Patient Pauga gets her chance on the big stage

Bond’s own Mikayla Pauga made her AFLW debut with the Brisbane Lions in their round five match-up against the Richmond Tigers on Saturday.

Pauga was drafted to the Lions in July 2021 and has been hard at work training with the team ever since, patiently awaiting her chance to unleash on the big stage.

Currently ranked first on the AFLW ladder with many skilled players, Mikayla said the Brisbane Lions was a difficult team to break into.

“I’ve been working really hard at this for a long time, and after waiting what seemed like forever, it feels so good to finally get my first game as it’s such a hard team to crack into,” she said.

“After not getting any games last season, I am definitely feeling grateful for the opportunity to be able to play with the incredible group of girls we have this season.”

In a relatively low scoring game, Pauga put her skills to use executing strong tackles and managing some touches in her half-forward position. Richmond won 18-14.

She’s now waiting with anticipation to see if she’ll be selected in the team for this Sunday’s game against Essendon.

On top of a busy training schedule with the Lions, Pauga continues to study a Bachelor of Psychology at Bond part-time and is set to graduate in September 2023.

Pauga has also remained committed to her beloved Bull Sharks team, balancing Bond games during the 2022 QAFL season with the two AFLW seasons this year.

“Bond has definitely been of great benefit in my football career as I’ve been able to work with some really great coaches within our super-supportive club environment,” she said.

“Whenever I felt like I was under a lot of pressure, my network at Bond really helped me through it.”

Pauga And Hillier To Depart The Den

Player_Thank_You_Graphic_Mikayla_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have strengthened their position heading into the 2023 AFL Draft by completing two trades on Monday.

Kiara Hillier will join the Sydney Swans in exchange for pick 73, Premiership Lion Mikayla Pauga and pick 73 has been traded to the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS for pick 24.

Pauga, who played in the Lions 2023 Premiership winning side against North Melbourne, departs the Den after three seasons and 15 games.

Hillier was drafted in 2022 and was member of the Brisbane Lions Academy but was unable to break into the Lions strong defensive unit.

Lions Head of Women’s Football, Breeanna Brock said she was pleased to see the duo get opportunities at other clubs to continue pursuing their footballing journey.

“We would like to thank Mikki and Kiara for their contributions to the Club,” Brock said.

“Mikki will always have a special place at the Lions as a Premiership player and we wish her all the best at the GIANTS.

“Kiara gave her all, but with our defence performing exceptionally well this year and with Kate Lutkins returning from pregnancy and Jade Pregelj from injury, opportunities to play are hard to get, especially for a young developing talent.

“We’ve been working with managers and clubs to make sure our players continue to play AFLW and it’s great they’ve been to find new clubs.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back