Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

Having only really watched the Vikings since Zimmer came on board, really looking forward to us under a new HC.
Feel like Zimmer ran out of juice at the end. Also it has been frustrating supporting a team with quality RBs (Peterson, Cook) and WRs (Diggs, Jefferson), that we have only ever had one good playoff run, so hopefully new coach + GM addresses our QB failures.
Keeping Cousins would be treading water at this point I feel, altho I dunno what the other option would be. Doubt we could get a draft pick high enough to take a QB.

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah: Analytics are about asking why in order to make better decisions

Posted by Josh Alper on January 27, 2022, 10:47 AM EST

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has a different background than many people who get hired for that position in the NFL.

Adofo-Mensah worked in the finance world after graduating from Princeton and eventually moved into football with the 49ers in football research and development. That area is often tied to analytics and Adofo-Mensah took on a fuller role involving scouting when he moved to the Browns as their vice president of football operations two years ago.

Analytics still came up often during Thursday’s introductory press conference and Adofo-Mensah said he knows his background is a unique one for a G.M. while adding that he sees analytics as a tool to make the best decisions. He said it is about “being thoughtful and intentional” and “asking why” things are the way that they are in order to make those decisions.

Adofo-Mensah said that process involves both “quantitative research” and “talking to people” in order to make sure that there are no “blind spots” in the decision-making process. He credited time spent studying Bill Walsh’s approach with the 49ers in helping shape his approach to putting together a football team and said he kept a picture of Walsh in his office to remind him that he hadn’t “figured out the world.”

Walsh’s approach worked wonders for the 49ers. The Vikings will be hoping for something similar with Adofo-Mensah at the helm.

Apart from the Head Coaching decision, the biggest task for Kwesi Adofo-Mensah is some pretty important player decisions. here's my top 5:

a. Keep, trade, or extend Kirk Cousins - there is no chance that Cousins will be retained on the roster with a $45 million cap hit - please trade him
b. Re-sign or trade Danielle Hunter - Hunter is due an $18 million roster bonus on the 20th of March. Hunter has been injured the last two seasons, but wants top of the market money. Hunter, when fit, is a top 5 pass rusher, but is it time to trade him and go with youth?
c. Re-negotiate, trade, or cut Adam Thielen. Thielen (age 32) is probably not worth his 2022 $16.8 million cap hit. A reduction in his $12 million base salary could be coming.
d. Trade or cut Harrison Smith - is a 33 year old safety going to be kept on the books at a $13.4 million cap hit
e. Trade or cut Dalvin Cook - is Cook worth retaining at a cap hit of $11.8 million
f. trade or cut Michael Perce - probably an easy one. Piece has not lived up to his contract and will probably be let go.

Most of the above players are or have been marquee players for the Vikings and are predominantly fan favourites. As I said in the intro, the new GM has some tough decisions coming up.

Last edited:
I doubt Harbaugh goes through this whole process, with his name still sticking around, without him being the favourite.

All depends on the money Jim likes 💰 💰💰

The fact Harbaugh hasn't been snapped up by some team yet kind of tells you where it's all it, he's either asking for way too much or he isn't serious and just using NFL teams for leverage to get more out of Michigan as GG suggested at the start of these coaching searches.

The fact Harbaugh hasn't been snapped up by some team yet kind of tells you where it's all it, he's either asking for way too much or he isn't serious and just using NFL teams for leverage to get more out of Michigan as GG suggested at the start of these coaching searches.
Teams been hiring HCs and bringing back tons of other coaches for second interviews.....all the while Harbaugh is just a news story, a rumor, a casual phone call. Teams aren't fooled by him anymore. If they were serious about being a contender they'd throw themselves at his feet and not keep looking elsewhere for second interviews. They're not throwing themselves at him because he's asking way way too much -- either to make them bite or to use it against them for Michigan or another NFL team.

Kick in the dick of all Bears fans, good on the Vikings if it happens, gotta give credit to the Wilf's for putting up the cash to get it done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick in the dick of all Bears fans, good on the Vikings if it happens, gotta give credit to the Wilf's for putting up the cash to get it done
I’ll keep my crutch on high alert.

So much for returning to the only job he’s coveted in the NFL. Goes to a divisional rival the greedy campaigner

I’ll keep my crutch on high alert.

So much for returning to the only job he’s coveted in the NFL. Goes to a divisional rival the greedy campaigner

Dont get salty now coz George is cheap.

Justin Jefferson is happy to have an offensive head coach in Kevin O’Connell

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2022, 3:38 PM EST

Late in the 2021 season, there were subtle signs that Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson wasn’t entirely thrilled with the situation in Minnesota, prompting concerns that perhaps he’d eventually want out.

With the news that the Vikings plan to hire Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell to be the team’s next head coach, Jefferson is all in.

“I’ve been watching the Rams offense for a minute now,” Jefferson told NFL Network from the Pro Bowl, via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “They get their playmakers the ball. They have some tremendous plays, Cooper Kupp wide open all the time. So I’m excited for it. This is my first head coach that’s going to be on the offensive side instead of the defensive side, so I’m happy.”

Running back Dalvin Cook, who had a significant degree of loyalty to former Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, also sounds excited about O’Connell.

“[O’Connell] was with Kirk [Cousins] in Washington so Kirk has been kind of telling me, ‘Great guy to be around. Full of energy. Going to bring the energy,'” Cook told NFL Network, via Tomasson. “So I’m just looking forward to it. It’s a new opportunity, new era, new energy, so we got to take advantage of it. . . . We got a new head man, we got a new G.M., so we just got to put the right people around us and we just got to go get it.”

O’Connell won’t officially be hired until after the Super Bowl. And as we learned a couple of days after the Super Bowl played four years ago in Minneapolis, no head-coaching hire is done until it’s done.

Vikings announce nine assistant coaches, including Ed Donatell and Mike Pettine

Posted by Josh Alper on February 17, 2022, 11:14 AM EST

The Vikings have finally made the hiring of head coach Kevin O’Connell official and that means they can move on to formalizing many of the reported agreements they made with assistant coaches while waiting for O’Connell to wrap up his duties as the Rams offensive coordinator.

Minnesota announced nine additions to O’Connell’s staff on Thursday. The announcements included confirmation that Ed Donatell will be their defensive coordinator and that Mike Pettine will be the assistant head coach.

Donatell spent the last three seasons as the Broncos defensive coordinator and he also worked under former Broncos head coach Vic Fangio as an assistant with the Bears and 49ers. He’s spent most of last three decades coaching in the NFL.

Pettine was a senior defensive assistant for the Bears last season and he brings head coaching experience to the Vikings staff after spending two years running the Browns. He’s also been a defensive coordinator with the Packers, Bills, and Jets.

The Vikings also announced the hirings of tight ends coach/passing game coordinator Brian Angelichio, assistant quarterbacks coach Jerrod Johnson, offensive line coach Chris Kuper, running backs coach/run game coordinator Curtis Modkins, quarterbacks coach Chris O’Hara, assistant offensive line coach Justin Rascati, and defensive line coach Chris Rumph.

New Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell has confirmed he will be the team's play-caller in 2022.​

That, of course, was not something O'Connell did under the great Sean McVay in Los Angeles. It is a task he has surely been well prepared for, but could be the toughest part of his transition from assistant to lead duties. O'Connell's No. 1 offensive objective will likely be to run smarter in 2022 after the Vikes continually ran the ball just for the sake of it, often letting opposing teams back into games Minnesota should have won.
SOURCE: Chad Graff on Twitter
Feb 17, 2022, 5:23 PM E

New Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said at his introductory press conference that he was "anticipating" Kirk Cousins remaining the team's starting quarterback for 2022.​

O'Connell also somewhat sheepishly added that Cousins is "under contract," which is hardly a ringing endorsement. No one, either on the record or off, is coming right and saying Cousins will remain with the Vikings for 2022, but that remains the way the wind is blowing. It is probably the formality of Cousins' contract needing to be taken care of as he heads into the final year of his deal. The Vikes could also be tempted to cash the 33-year-old in for draft picks while they still can, but they probably have too much offensive talent to punt on the upcoming season. Barring something strange happening, Cousins should be back under center in Minnesota, likely with a re-worked deal that includes guaranteed money beyond 2022.
Feb 17, 2022, 5:26 PM ET

New Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said at his introductory press conference that he was "anticipating" Kirk Cousins remaining the team's starting quarterback for 2022.​

O'Connell also somewhat sheepishly added that Cousins is "under contract," which is hardly a ringing endorsement. No one, either on the record or off, is coming right and saying Cousins will remain with the Vikings for 2022, but that remains the way the wind is blowing. It is probably the formality of Cousins' contract needing to be taken care of as he heads into the final year of his deal. The Vikes could also be tempted to cash the 33-year-old in for draft picks while they still can, but they probably have too much offensive talent to punt on the upcoming season. Barring something strange happening, Cousins should be back under center in Minnesota, likely with a re-worked deal that includes guaranteed money beyond 2022.
Feb 17, 2022, 5:26 PM ET

It’s doubtful anything has been decided at this stage. Cousins could still be traded, but there’s a lot of QBs that could be moving over the next few weeks and I doubt Cousins is at the top of anyone’s list…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back