Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo: How to stop draftees bailing clubs
BREAKING news. I’m writing this article to announce my ... opinion on player retention and what it means to the AFL.

Sorry, I couldn’t take the limelight off the amazing group of retirees we are seeing in 2017. So let’s go. If you’ve been hiding under a rock recently, Neymar Junior (soccer star for Barcelona) just signed a five-year deal with the French club Paris Saint-Germain after they triggered his €222 million ($AU333 million) release clause.

If the past eight months of intense study for my Certificate IV in Accounting has taught me anything, that’s roughly $81,791.60 a week. Thanks Google. With that type of money, Neymar could cover the current 18 clubs’ salary caps combined. I wonder if Barcelona had a player retention program in place? They probably did.

But since arriving in Brisbane at the end of 2014, it’s been hard not to notice the recurring theme of retaining players, particularly in the northern states. Especially when the only AFL coverage in the local paper is roughly 10 pages deep from the back. That took a while for this footy lover to get used to.

‘I TOLD YOU SO’

A quick summary. Certain individuals had speculated that the Lions were potentially on the verge of another exodus, which obviously never happened. Seeing as most of the football media is based in Melbourne, the stories seem to frequently take on a Victorian angle.

When a young Victorian kid playing interstate is out of contract, the question is rarely put to him about re-signing with his current club. It’s ‘can he resist the lure of the go-home factor’? So what did it mean when a young star — or a host of young stars in our case at the Brisbane Lions — decided to re-sign and turn their backs on contracts and the limelight elsewhere? It meant a hell of a lot.

The more frequently these signings were announced to the playing group, I don’t think there was shock among us players, but more a sense of ‘I told you so’. I may be biased here, I know, but this club is building something special and it shows with the numerous signings we’ve had in the past couple of seasons: Rhys Mathieson, Sam Skinner, Ben Keays, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Josh Schache and Jarrod Berry — just to name a few.

DEALING WITH SCRUTINY

Don’t get me wrong, most AFL players are fantastic in the spotlight. In today’s media landscape with 24-hour coverage on TV, large social media followings, big front and back pages, as well as plenty of ‘cashies’ (paid appearances), there are plenty of benefits to the limelight too.

But in saying that, there are some individuals who struggle with the stress of endless media scrutiny, with their lives constantly on show in the public eye. I’ve seen it throughout my whole career.

With an alarming rate of athletes succumbing to mental illness and depression, you can’t help but think: How strongly connected is negative media attention linked with our everyday emotions?

I genuinely applaud those individuals finding courage to put their hands up and ask for help. In recent years, the priorities of the AFL Players’ Association and AFL clubs, especially, have been to adopt a new strategy to combat early departures from our game by employing part-time psychiatrists and full-time player welfare managers.

Nowadays, every player is treated differently in terms of how much attention they require. But in my opinion, the welfare manager’s role is primarily to provide a safe and caring environment. People skills are an absolute must for that job.

A time when they are in need the most is generally at the end of season. It’s a time we are currently entering, when delistings occur, draft night arrives, free agency looms and obviously the trade period. Just look at the stars of the game who have retired in the past few days. A lot more players will retire over the coming weeks and months — and they won’t all be stars. They will need help transitioning back into everyday life.

HOW TO STOP ‘GO-HOME’ FACTOR

With homesickness looming as a potential cause of trade requests, a way to discourage young stars to leave so early into their career would be to increase the length of the draftees contract from two years to three.

First and second-round draft picks would be given longer contracts — a proposal that has already been backed throughout the AFL community. This would help all interstate teams with the go-home factor. I would go one further to give the player the benefit of a games-played incentivised contract.

The standard playing contract usually contains a trigger clause relating to games played. Depending on the player, it could range between 10 and 20 games in their final year, which would result in bonus payments or triggering an additional year.

Increasing the contracts to three years gives the players more time to adapt and settle into their new environment, which would be a win-win for both parties. As a result, this would also help increase the average career span of AFL players.

Let’s be honest, these changes could all potentially help the outcome, but I’m under no illusion what the most important factor is to retaining players is: Success on the field. Without tasting on-field success, there is only a matter of time before offers start coming in from rival clubs, so it’s only natural for players’ eyes starting to wander.

Every organisation is chasing the same piece of silverware. But sometimes it takes more than a fairytale story like the 2016 Bulldogs, who defied all odds in their finals campaign.

After hearing the recent retirement speeches and conversations with ex-teammates of mine, when a player nears the end of their careers, finals success and premiership glory override a lifetime of personal accolades and awards.

From what I’ve read and heard, it’s the perfect formula. It doesn’t all happen at once, so hang in their supporters — your time will come too.

Cedric Cox on Mitch Robinson
From the moment he landed, Lions Senior player Mitch Robinson and his partner Emma literally left their door open for him, with Cox living with them.

“I give credit to Mitch and Emma for taking me in,” Cox said. “I was really glad that an experienced player and someone that I knew back home took me in. They made me feel at home, especially with their kids.”

Robinson, with a wealth of AFL games to his name, showed Cox the ropes in his first year at the Club and taught him important lessons in punctuality and organisation.

Player Reviews
#5. Mitch Robinson

The Lions missed Mitch Robinson after he was ruled out for the season following a broken foot sustained in Round 7 against the Sydney Swans.

Robinson made a blinding start to the year by kicking two goals in the first quarter of Round 1 against the SUNS, and he continued this form throughout the early rounds of the season.

The foot injury left the tough midfielder stuck on 149 career games.

As with Christensen, Robinson will be a welcome return to the Lions side for 2018, with his experience, toughness and work ethic valuable traits for the young side.

Senior matches: 7, NEAFL matches: 0

01GCBL17MW47.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson raring for 150th

Charlie Cameron was an exciting off-season acquisition for Brisbane, but good mate Mitch Robinson has warned to not expect too much from the speedster in his debut on Saturday.

Cameron played 73 games in four seasons for Adelaide and will play his first for the Lions against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

Robinson said it took him a little while to fully integrate with his new club after heading north from Carlton in late 2014.

He expects the same from Cameron.

"We don't have too many expectations on him in the first game," Robinson said.

"Personally, it took me five or six games to understand the game-plan and how certain players played, particularly in the midfield, understanding the ruck combo and how the ball goes inside 50.

"We don't expect him to turn it on straight away, it's going to take time.

"He knows he's just got to play his role, that's what we all have to do.

"Hopefully he can find some of that form he's had the last two years in Adelaide."

Robinson made no secret of the fact he was keen to lure Cameron north, the two forming a strong friendship through mutual mate Eddie Betts.

On the same day Cameron debuts, Robinson will play his 150th game, 10 months after his 149th following a broken foot against Sydney in round seven last season.

"It's been a long wait," he said.

"I was playing great footy at the start of last year and unfortunately got injured.

"I had to put in a good pre-season and make sure I got through the two (JLT) games and put my hand up for selection and fortunately I got the nod."

Robinson and Cameron will form part of a quick forward line that is also expected to include No.1 draft pick Cam Rayner.

Robinson charged for striking

Mitch Robinson has been charged with striking Seb Ross, St Kilda, during the fourth quarter of the Round One match between the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday March 24, 2018.

In summary, the offence is judged as a one-match sanction without appearing before the Tribunal.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the St Kilda Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back